Sausage help

Started by zzzippper, May 30, 2009, 04:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzzippper

Can anyone give me a link about smoking sausage such as brats and Italian sausage?

Also, what about smoking already smoked sausages like kielbasa?

Thanks

deb415611

zzzippper,

Here is a link from the recipe site on smoking brats & italian sausage  http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=551

Deb

Smokin Soon

I really like some the spicy turkey kielbasa out there and it's one of my favorate breakfast lunch or dinner things. Even though they are fully cooked, just do the heat up in the Bradley at 200 with some Hickory
or Maple smoke. Just make sure the smoker is at least 200 and the smoke is rolling when you put them in. The meat itself cannot accept any more smoke at this point, but the smoke does add something during
the warming period. For Brats that are uncooked, they get a cold smoke and then into the traditional bath of beer, onions, spices and for a low temp ride and than grilled.

Habanero Smoker

As Smokin Soon stated, smoking fully cooked kielbasa it is safe to do so at 200°F or lower. Applying smoke to already fully cooked food, the smoke will adhere to the outside giving the food extra smoke flavor, and 40 minutes to an hour should be plenty of smoke.

If you are hot smoking uncured sausage or ground meat, you must keep your cabinet at least 225°F, that is the minimum safe cabinet temperature.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

zzzippper

Thank you!  This forum is a thing of beauty. ;D

lumpy

You may want to pick up a book from Rytek Kutas called "great sausage recipies and meat curing" it is the bible when it comes to making sausage.

Also look in the Sausage topic. There are some great ideas in there.

Lumpy

Smokin Soon

Lumpy is right on with the  Kuta's book if you want to do your own sausage. There is a slight learning curve to the sausage thing and does require a few more "toys". No we call it "Equipment", but I do really enjoy it. The recipes can all be tweaked to your liking but are really good as is.