Pulled pork question

Started by Halen, June 01, 2009, 07:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

I think it does, but I never really noticed the problem you are having.

I do it more for easier clean up.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Stargazer on June 01, 2009, 11:52:02 AM
Oh WOW Rider, those butts look awesome  :P

Looks like me and dad gonna have to do some this week after seeing these guys.

Question for you though Rider... I notice you use the jerky mesh wire racks. Doe's this help keep the meats from sagging between the wires. I've noticed this when I do butts. I use the standard wire racks and some of the meat tends to sag between the openings and makes clean up alittle harder.

Plus I also noticed when using the regular racks and the meat sags, they sort of pocket up and have little dry spots, not much, only in a few tiny areas.

Does the jerky mesh racks help with this?

Yes and you just pop them bad boys in the dishwasher and they is ready to go again. I love mine!!! Give Brian at Yard and Pool a shout he can hook you up.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Chris,
If this is your first encounter smoking butts in the Bradley and you're going to do 30+ pounds, I would seriously consider preheating the smoker to at least 260-280, put the butts in, smoke for 4 hours and then move them straight to your house oven to complete.  30+ pounds of meat in the smoker will really take a long time for the heat to build back up in the smoker.  Butts are very forgiving but if this is your first time and you're cooking for family and friends you want all the help you can get.  One thing to watch for if you do move to the house oven, does your oven have a built in timer that will only let your oven run for so many hours and then shut itself off as a safety feature?  Mine does I found out the hard way.  If it does you may have to start your oven more than once but that's no big deal.  One other thing, when you put those butts in your smoker, make sure they are not touching the walls or the back.  Don't want the grease running down and starting a grease fire in the Bradley of yours!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
KyNola

Caneyscud

Chris

KyNola has you covered with a great plan.  A single butt in the smoker at 225 deg will take from 1 to 1 1/2 hour per pound range-usually the 1 1/2 hour per pound end because, we always have to peek a time or two!  You will be needing 4 ea of 8 to 10 pound butts.  By themselves, in the Bradley each would take 12 to 15 hours.  But having four at the same time, with heat recovery delays, you will probably be looking at 20+ hours.  The Bradley when there is no smoking going on, is nothing but an oven.  Your kitchen oven, with it's greater heat capacity will let you finish up your smoke faster and may be in the 12 to 15 hour total cooking time.  Just be sure to check your oven for temp swings and temperature setting with a remote reading thermometer.  Some ovens are way off in temperature and have pretty big swings in temperature also - they aren't perfect. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

KyNola

Good catch CS.  You are absolutely correct.  My Maverick told me that my house oven is off by about 30 degrees.

Chris,
we have swamped you with lots of info.  Take a breath, relax, crack a beer and have fun with your smoking experience.  While we act like it, ... it's not rocket science.  ;)

KyNola

Halen

Well my brother has the same smoker that I do and I borrowed it from him to use this weekend. So now I will be running 2 bradleys. I think if I start them both on Friday around 5 cook through the night I should be good to go. We will see what happens. That will be about 20 lbs of meat or so in each that shouldn't be to bad right? Thanks for all of the information!

Chris

OU812

Not sure if you have herd it or not.

KEEP YOUR WATER PAN FULL.

2 Bradley's with 20 ld in each, cant get any better than that.

KyNola

Chris,
With two Bradleys you should be good to go.  On another thread I saw where you inquiired about the use of foil in the Bradley.  The manual says don't use foil in the Bradley but what it means is don't cover a rack or the V-tray with Bradley as both the heat and smoke will get trapped underneath the covered rack or v-tray.  Wrapping food such as butts and putting in the Bradley is perfectly fine.  Just make sure there is air circulation room around them.

Smoke On!
KyNola

JimmyDreams

Quote from: KyNola on June 02, 2009, 02:16:51 PM
Chris,
With two Bradleys you should be good to go.  On another thread I saw where you inquiired about the use of foil in the Bradley.  The manual says don't use foil in the Bradley but what it means is don't cover a rack or the V-tray with Bradley as both the heat and smoke will get trapped underneath the covered rack or v-tray.  Wrapping food such as butts and putting in the Bradley is perfectly fine.  Just make sure there is air circulation room around them.

Smoke On!
KyNola

I wrapped a butt I was smoking in foil (after the smoking was done), but didn't press the foil too tightly since the butt was hot. It was hitting the top rack (butt was in the second), so I took out the top. What I DIDN'T notice was that my PID wall-mounted temp probe pierced the foil when I slid the butt back in. Result: PID thought the BS was much cooler than it was, so it kept the heating element on high. Luckily, I had set a high-temp alarm on my ET-73, which told me of the problem.

PID: great. ET-73 digital temp meter: priceless. Saved my butt, literally and figuratively. 8)

JimmyD
Oceanside, Ca.

manderso

When running the 2 Bradleys, make sure you have enough current capacity from your outlet.  If possible, run from 2 different electrical breaker circuits.  Sharing power (or lack there of) will definitely slow down your cooking time as well.

OU812

Chris

Now that you have 2 smokers maybe smoke in one with Apple and in the other with Hickory.
Also, what manderso said.

Halen

Got it all rubbed down this afternoon. I ended up getting 54lbs. A 20lber a 17lber and a 16lber. Rubbed 2 of them and will smoke them with a mixture of apple and hickory(alternating pucks) I think. And the other I am going to leave absolutely plain just as kind of a taste test and smoke it the same way. Using the 2 smokers what time should I start them tomorrow in hopes to have the whole thing wrapped up by at least 5 at the latest on Saturday? I am thinking maybe 3ish?

Thanks you guys have been a ton of help!!

Chris

Smokin Soon

Sometimes you just cannpt predict cook times. I buy these twin packs of butt that are usually 16 to 17 pounds. Cook times have ranged from 16 to 19 and a half hours! Ask the the Butt, cause I have no clue whatsoever. Weather or wind was not a factor.

Halen

Today was one of those days where nothing went right! Fired up the smokers about 230. Mine worked my brothers would not get hot. So I am now waiting for the 1st ones to get done (in about 30 min) then put it into the oven. Got one going in the roaster at 225 put it in at 700 will probably leave it in all night. Will put the last batch in the smoker around 9 and smoke til about 12 then let cook all night in there. Sound good? anybody do anything different considering the circumstances?

Thanks
Chris

mapleleafsgurl

Should be fine like that.  Check internal temp first thing in the AM and throw everything in the oven to crank it up if need be.  I myself am doing 2 11 lb shoulders in my OBS right now for my Aunt & Uncle's 40th anniversary party tomorrow at 5 pm.  I am just done applying smoke and will leave them in all night to cook.  If they are not nearing ideal IT by 8 am, I am shoving them in the oven for a few hours, then into foil and into the cooler at 1 pm.   I have a lovely BBQ sauce recipe for pulled pork if you are interested.

1 large chopped onion
1 can of frozen conc. Orange juice
1 cup ketchup
6 nibs of garlic
1 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp. prepared mustard
1/2 cup vinegar
salt and pepper to taste (I usually go 2 tsp salt and 1 tbsp pepper)
2 tsp dried red peppers
1 tsp cumin
1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro (optional)
1/2 cup water

Put it all in a blender until smooth, then simmer on low (stirring often) until it is kind of carmelized

I do this in the morning as soon as I get up, then simmer it for about an hour.

After you pull your pork, add sauce a bit at a time and stir until you have the desired sauciness.

Let us know how this turn out!