Hi from Iowa

Started by ISUTroutBum, June 01, 2009, 03:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ISUTroutBum

Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new to Bradley smokers (after a lot of deliberation and research, I bought a 6 rack digital a few days ago). I've been smoking for a number of years, but most of the time I was just winging it. Recently I've started doing a lot of research (books and internet) trying to improve. Needless to say, I've got a lllooonnngg way to go, but it is a fun journey.  :) Historically, I've smoked on a 18.5" Weber. However, I really, really enjoy making sausages, but trying to smoke them on a grill was just not cutting it (no room for lots of links, put grill marks on them, etc.), so I found myself in need of a vertical. I made and smoked 12 pds of wieners the other day on the new DS after I seasoned it. I had some issues w/temp regulation, and a few other things, but overall it went decent for a first time.

I'm really looking forward to learning from y'all, and am very happy to have found the board.

Thanks for having me!

Best,
Trout
"Sine Cerere et Baccho friget Venus" - Terence, Eunuchus IV.v

westexasmoker

Welcome to the fourm Trout!

These guys know their stuff...Good luck and keep us posted!  Oh yeah, make sure you use mesquite!   ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Caneyscud

Welcome trout.

Great forum with lots of experience.  Ask as many questions as you need - ain't no such thing as a dumb question - just stupid answers sometime!

I was going to say something like "Trout?? I thought all that was grown in Iowa was corn" but that would be too crass and I wouldn't do that to another trout bum!  Has your season started yet? 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Ka Honu

Who knew more than one person lived in Iowa?  10.5 will be so pleased!

KyNola

Trout,
Welcome aboard.  Your Bradley will do everything you're wanting to do.  We have members who are very well versed on every aspect of smoking pretty much anything, including your family pet cat.  ;)  The sausage, jerky king is NePaS!  Smoked salmon?  Kummok!  All things cured?  Habanero Smoker!  Brisket?  West Texas Smoker although he uses some strange wood called mesquite!  :D Hundreds more with help on all things in the Bradley.

Recipe site is www.susanminor.org You should definitely check it out. 

Have a great time and send us pics of your results!

KyNola

Caribou

Welcome to the forum Trout!
Yeah!  It's exciting to have another sausage maker on the forum.
Carolyn

smokeitall

Welcome Trout from the fine state to your south.

Ka Honu

Iowa's a state?  Oops, never mind.  I knew that.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum ISUTroutBum!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Ka Honu on June 01, 2009, 03:59:16 PM
Who knew more than one person lived in Iowa?  10.5 will be so pleased!
Well at least there is 5 of Us living here!! The two Seemores, Tiny Tim, Myself and now Trout!!

Welcome Aboard Trout!! Lot's of great people here, with lots of knowledge. Fair warning: If you dish it out JUST Once!!! You gotta be able to take it. We do have fun joking with each other around here. Kinda like my favorite saying "Never take anything in life too serious, Because NOBODY get's out Alive!!"
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Welcome to the fun, from the state to your west.

That's one of the reason's I got my BDS6. Smoking Summer Sausage.

ISUTroutBum

Thanks for the warm welcomes y'all. I appreciate it! Looking forward to learning from everyone.

Best,
Trout

seemore

welcome troutbum...........

seemore..............   caneyscud. Has your season started yet open all year so there  .... :D

Caneyscud

Seemore. - We don't have any seasons here in Tenn.  However after witnessing the slaughter of great fish taken off their redds, there are many times, I wish there were.  We have a couple of rivers here in Mid Tenn. that have the capacity for World Class fisheries, if only they were managed for that.  The elected officials in this state have always been shortsighted with just about everything they do and designating enough money to manage, but perhaps more importantly, to enforce the current laws, are just not high on their list of to-do's.  I will stop here before I get up onto my stump and violate forum protocol.  We do have a "sorta" season.  We don't have trout rivers in Mid. Tenn. - we have rivers that hold trout.  We have stocked tailwaters.  If it wasn't for hydroelectric and flood control dams, we would have to travel four hours to the Appalachians (Smokey Mountains/Tellico Wilderness, etc....) to fish for trout.  With the dams, we are hogtied to their generation schedule.  From Dec. into May or June, which is our wettest part of the year, they tend to run 1 or more generators 24/7 to maintain winter pool levels on the lake.  One generator we can fish if you have a boat, but over one generator, it is almost impossible.  Usually about the middle of May, the weather breaks and they start shutting down the generators for long windows, so we can get our feet wet and fish.  This year however, we've had an abundance of rain.  And only since this past Monday, have they quit the 24/7 generating.  But, currently it is a 2 hour with 2 generators on - then 2 hours off schedule.  The water doesn't have enough time to fall out enough to wade in before they start again - so right now, it is still boat time, but the schedule is leaving the fish rather confused as what to do and where to go.  Hopefully by this weekend, they will schedule longer no gen times so we can get out there and start our "season". 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

ISUTroutBum

For those of you from Iowa - where 'bouts you from (no need to be specific if ya don't want)? I'm just wondering about 'regions' of the state. Grew up in a small town about 25 miles east of DSM, but after college have lived a lot of different places around the country, and for a time in England. My wife and I recently moved to DSM for work related reasons.

Best,
Trout