Hi from Iowa

Started by ISUTroutBum, June 01, 2009, 03:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ka Honu

Quote from: ISUTroutBum on June 03, 2009, 09:06:22 AM... 'regions' of the state.

Just goes to show that you never stop learning here.  First I find that Iowa is a state, then that at least five people live there.  Now I hear they have "regions."  Who'da thunk it?

ISUTroutBum

Hahaha! Nice Ka Honu!

But, don't you guys have an island down there w/a population of like 9 people or something? And, I would think that the total population for our only 'state that floats' is pretty much made up of vacationers? Just wonderin'. . .  ;)

Best,
Trout
"Sine Cerere et Baccho friget Venus" - Terence, Eunuchus IV.v

Ka Honu

Actually there are about 150-200 on Ni'ihau but they don't get out much so who's counting?

Just out of curiosity, do you guys have things like sidewalks and streetlights (other than the lights at the Field of Dreams)?

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Ka Honu on June 03, 2009, 12:28:43 PM
Actually there are about 150-200 on Ni'ihau but they don't get out much so who's counting?

Just out of curiosity, do you guys have things like sidewalks and streetlights (other than the lights at the Field of Dreams)?

I myself DO NOT have a sidewalk in front of my house and there is one street light at the intersection down the block. So you can have some more fun Ka Honu there is only ONE stop light in my town.

I'm in the NE Trout just south of Dubuque. Seemores are in SE in the Quad cities and Tiny Tim is in the SW over by Omaha.

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

sodak

As a fellow midwesterner I would like to remind those from, let's say, the islands, that at least we are wearing shoes in our elementary school pictures.

Ka Honu

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on June 03, 2009, 01:10:29 PM
... there is only ONE stop light in my town...

Kinda reminds me of my days on the Big Island (Hawaii) back in the 70s.  We used to take road trips (usually after several adult beverages) across the island (about 90 miles) to see the traffic light in Hilo (the only one on the island).

Quote from: sodak on June 03, 2009, 01:36:42 PM... we are wearing shoes in our elementary school pictures.

That's only a "good thing" if you live someplace where you need them to keep your feet warm.

Caneyscud

Quote from: sodak on June 03, 2009, 01:36:42 PM
As a fellow midwesterner I would like to remind those from, let's say, the islands, that at least we are wearing shoes in our elementary school pictures.

That's funny!  But oh to dream!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

ISUTroutBum

Street lights a blazin'!  :D

I will have to say, however, that my hometown of just over 300 (and I lived in the country) had not a stoplight, and very few stop signs. Mom did make me wear shoes though! LOL!

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on June 03, 2009, 01:10:29 PM
Quote from: Ka Honu on June 03, 2009, 12:28:43 PM

I myself DO NOT have a sidewalk in front of my house and there is one street light at the intersection down the block. So you can have some more fun Ka Honu there is only ONE stop light in my town.

I'm in the NE Trout just south of Dubuque. Seemores are in SE in the Quad cities and Tiny Tim is in the SW over by Omaha.

10.5 - that is a great part of the state! Since I do quite a bit of fly fishing, I'm up your way a lot (usually camp near Highlandville).

"Sine Cerere et Baccho friget Venus" - Terence, Eunuchus IV.v

Ka Honu

Railroad bridges!  That's what we need, railroad bridges!  I suppose we'd have to get trains first - guess I'll have to wait.

RammerJammer

Welcome Trout. You will not find a better group of people interested in helping one another. I haven't seen the first reply bashing anyone one for not thoroughly searching the forum for answers prior to posting - just a lot of patient, willing individuals that want to expand a great hobby.
Aren't the four basic food groups beef, beer, bacon, and baked potatoes?

seemore

Caney, most of the streams in Iowa are stocked by the DNR.  We have only a few streams  - and they are in Northern Iowa - that have recently in the last five to ten years been producing native brown trout.  These streams are regulated and do not allow live bait and are catch-and-release only.
HOWEVER, even though it is regulated, there are still those out there who do not follow the rules, and take great native fish out of the streams.  As if it didn't take long enough to re-introduce native species to Iowa waters.    >:(
IF you are ever in Iowa, please look us up!   

seemore

Ka Honu, we EVEN have indoor toilets that flush in IOWA!

Yee-Doggies!!!

;)

Ka Honu

Quote from: seemore on June 06, 2009, 09:43:31 PMKa Honu, we EVEN have indoor toilets that flush in IOWA!

Dare I ask where the sewers drain?

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Ka Honu on June 07, 2009, 12:40:33 AM
Quote from: seemore on June 06, 2009, 09:43:31 PMKa Honu, we EVEN have indoor toilets that flush in IOWA!

Dare I ask where the sewers drain?

CORNFIELD!!!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

seemore

Hey, my fellow Ioweeeeeeeeeeeeeegians, don't you feel like this is the "SALUTE!" segment of Hee-Haw?! 
10.5, good response to KaHonu's last jab about our indoor plumbing!!!
Enjoy that corn on the cob!!!