Why Doesn't my Pastrami Taste like the Real Stuff?

Started by earlyman55, June 03, 2009, 04:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

earlyman55

Hi Gang -

I've been making pastrami from the recipes here in the Bradley boards for awhile.  I use eye of round, tenderize it with a Jaccard, cure it with Morton Tenderquick for 4 days in the fridge, season it, then steam it til it hits 160, etc. It is very tender and flavorful and everyone here enjoys it.

However, I ran out of my stuff and had to pick some up at the deli counter for my son's lunches. The deli pastrami is a world apart in flavor and consistency from mine.  As stated, mine is really good, but when put side by side, mine doesn't resemble the stuff from the store even a little bit.  It's almost as if it's a completely different type of lunchmeat (like comparing ham to roast beef - both are good, but they don't resemble one another).

Anyone care to chime in on this? Is there a way to make pastrami that it indistinguishable from the deli counter variety? ???

-Earlyman

westexasmoker

For pastrami I've always used the flat from a brisket.

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

3rensho

I use a well marbled brisket as I like fatty pastrami.  I like mine as well as the stuff I used to get from a kosher deli.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

OU812

FLBentRider

Can you describe what is "different" ?

I've offered mine (Habs recipe) side by side with "Boars Head" - both from a brisket - everyone picks mine.

;D ;D

With Eye round, does it cure all the way through in four days ?

How thick is the meat ?

I've been curing the larger briskets for 7 to eight days.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

It is definitely a different texture. Commercial pastrami seems to be pumped with a brine; so it has a moist texture. Also there is a world of difference between the different in taste among brands of commercial pastrami, and some are smoked some are not.

I use the flat, as already mentioned it has more marbling (and more beef flavor) then around.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

earlyman55

hey -
Thanks for all the replies. The difference isn't so much the texture of the meat- eye of round is pretty dense too (like brisket) and not much fat.  The flavor is what I'm talking about. I follow the seasoning exactly like the recipes I've read.  My stuff tastes great, but it doesn't taste the same as the deli pastrami.  Also, I've noticed that the deli pastrami has a sort of rainbow sheen when you hold it at an angle.  That's kinda cool looking (but you probably can't taste it  ;).

To answer some questions - the rounds are about 2" thick and circular. And they cure completely to the center in 4 days.  I have smoked them to 150 degrees and them steamed them to 160; I have also foregone the smoking step and simply steamed them to 160 degrees - the smoke hardly made a difference ( 1 hour 20 min. hickory).  I think the coriander and black pepper cover up the smoke on the final product.

My first pastrami was a corned beef flat that I didn't soak the beejeesus out of ahead of time and it turned out too salty.  I like making brisket so much that it breaks my heart to pick up a premium reserve angus flat at Sam's ($3.28/lb) and turn it into pastrami... if you know what I mean ;D

-E

Ka Honu

Smokin Soon

Only recipie I have used was Habs dry cure and it works for me. I have even overcooked a couple that were too dry. Some beef stock, into a crock pot and happy eating! I have never seen a recipe for using eye of round for pastrami, I would think it would be too lean.

Habanero Smoker

To me the two cuts are a world apart. Applying only 1:20 hours will not give you too much smoke flavor. I smoke mine for 3 hours. If your are only smoking for that short of a period, then continue to do like you are doing now; just forgo the smoke application, but then you can just steam it until it reaches 160°F, and not use the smoker.

You will often see a rainbow sheen on most cured meats while they are still raw. That is why I feel commercial pastrami is injected with more solution after it has been cooked.

I have to state, there in no one type of pastrami out there. There is a wide variation in taste among the commercial makers. Pastrami is basically highly seasoned meat, it can be made from beef, turkey, salmon or pork.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Gizmo

Quote from: earlyman55 on June 03, 2009, 02:12:27 PM
Also, I've noticed that the deli pastrami has a sort of rainbow sheen when you hold it at an angle.  That's kinda cool looking (but you probably can't taste it  ;).

I prefer not to see that myself.  The iridescent sheen is lactobacillus viridescens, or a similar bacteria that produce hydrogen peroxide. The H2O2 reacts with myoglobin to produce a green sheen pigment. The meat to me is less appealing but fortunately it is not dangerous to eat.  I have also seen the iridescent look referred to as Nitrogen Burn. 

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Gizmo on June 03, 2009, 08:30:53 PM
Quote from: earlyman55 on June 03, 2009, 02:12:27 PM
Also, I've noticed that the deli pastrami has a sort of rainbow sheen when you hold it at an angle.  That's kinda cool looking (but you probably can't taste it  ;).

I prefer not to see that myself.  The iridescent sheen is lactobacillus viridescens, or a similar bacteria that produce hydrogen peroxide. The H2O2 reacts with myoglobin to produce a green sheen pigment. The meat to me is less appealing but fortunately it is not dangerous to eat.  I have also seen the iridescent look referred to as Nitrogen Burn. 

Thanks Gizmo, that's good to know. There is also a more common cause for this. It can also be light refracted by microscopic droplets of fat dispersed in water throughout the muscle tissue. When the food is cooked the heat destroys these droplets and you no longer get that effect. That is why I think commercial pastrami is injected after it is cooked.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

cgaengineer

I have done several pastrami's using brisket flats and all have turned out very good. I tried a london broil and it was uncured in the center and was much drier than the brisket flats. I did one (brisket) for a friend last night in the oven as an experiment and it turned out very good...I didn't notice the absence of smoke...they never seem to get a strong smoke flavor even in a smoker.

I cure my briskets using MTQ, pepper, garlic and coriander. Do yourself a favor and buy coriander seeds in bulk if your grocery store doesn't keep it in stock. I purchased 3 pounds of coriander seeds from Amazon for $11. The seeds I purchased came from a spice company and they package the product quickly to make sure its fresh when it reaches the customer.
Weber Genesis (Black) Vertical Gas Smoker (Wanna upgrade to a Bradley), Anvil SLR7012 meat slicer, KitchenAid Meat grinder and sausage stuffer.

oakville smoker

I think the coriander is the kicker ingredient
That is what I think of when I smell and eat pastrami
I did not know what it was until I started making my own

I think the cut makes a huge difference as well
I like mine a with a little fat, adds taste and moisture

I just made one witha full packer and what a difference !
I had been using flats before
I should have made double the amount becuase it was too well liked !
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?