Cheese Dogs

Started by AKBob, February 21, 2005, 09:08:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKBob

I thought I would put out one of my favorite semi-cooked smoked sausage recipes for grins.
Cheese Dogs
This recipe originates from Eldon R Cutlip's book of "Sausage & Jerky Handbook".
This is a great book for any one that's interested in making there own Jerky and/or Sausage.

Eldon's procedure for Cheese Dogs is to fully cook the sausage (155deg) in the smoker, it can then be eaten hot or cold.
I've found that this recipe works very well by doing a semi-cold smoke which keeps it as fresh sausage, (not fully cooked) and then preparing it by the method I'll explain after the recipe.

For a 10 # batch of Cheese Dogs
I typically like to use Moose and/or Caribou and some times a little Black Bear and with that I will add some Pork Butt and a little Beef Trimmings.

6 lbs lean meat with 2 lbs of  butt and 2 lbs beef trimmings.
2 t- (teaspoons) Curing Salt, (prague powder #1)
4 T-(tablespoons) Kosher Salt
1 T Corriander
1 T White Pepper
2 T Garlic Powder
2 T Mase
2 T Onion Powder
2 t Curry Powder
1 t Red Pepper
1 t Cayenne Pepper
1 T Whole Mustard Seed (Ground if you prefer)
¼ cup Powdered Dextrose
¼ cup Corn Syrup Solids
½ cup Non Fat Dry Milk (Fine Ground for sausage)
¾ lb Med Cheddar Cheese Shredded
¾ lb Sharpe Cheddar Cheese Shredded

I typically use Hog  casings (35mm) for this recipe but there are times that I will use Sheep casing (22mm) for a foot longs.

After stuffing I will put the links into a tub and let them sit overnight in the refrigerator.
They will then come out and air dry for 1hr +/ and then go to the BS.
I will give them 1/2hr at 100 degs and no smoke, then 1hr at 120 degs +/- (Vent Full Open) with 3 Hickory Pucks, then rotate the racks and another 1 hr with 3 Pucks (Vent 1/3 open) at 120 degs.
I then shut down the BS open the door and when the links are cool, they are vacuum sealed or cooked.
At this low temp they do not need to showered, the casing will conform to the sausage.

Cooking
One method is  to cook the sausage in a crock pot with a couple sliced med white onions and 2 bottles of  choice beer.
As the beer and onion come up to medium temp (1hr) I will add the sausage to precook for (45 min) and then take the sausage to preheated grill to brown them, after reaching 155 degs. then they go back into the crock pot simmering ready to consume.
For condiments add some sauerkraut, raw onion, horseradish, ect very tasty.  
Just cooking them on the grill by them self or sautéing in a pan is also very tasty

AKBob

Crazy Canuck

Sounds extremly interesting. Will have to try this with Bison. Thanks