Do we know that Bubba Pucks don't give off harmful metalic by-products ?

Started by jeff_smoke, May 31, 2009, 11:43:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff_smoke

Just wondering because I don't know what they're made of
and I also don't know if they are certified safe by some body like the FDA
whom I wouldn't trust anyway. I wondered back when, why Bradley didn't offer their own since the concept makes sense, then dawned on me that they might not want to deal with any liabilities in that respect. Or, they figured Bubba's already got it covered, or they just want to sell more biscuits for non-Bubba users.
     I suspect somebody's already brought this up, but I didn't find it anywhere yet.
What got me thinking about it were several smokes that came out metalic flavored. Although I don't think the pucks were what caused it because it doesn't happen all the time and I know there are other causes for that....type of salt, over-brining, etc.
Thoughts ?

NePaSmoKer

They are aluminum. The Bradley smoke generator has aluminum on the heat slider too.

nepas

Up In Smoke

Jeff,
I echo nepas the generator has aluminum in it also.
besides i have been using them for about 4 years now and my son or daughter
my wife and my talking dog have seen no ill side effects at all! ::) ::) ::) :D
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

manxman

QuoteThey are aluminum. The Bradley smoke generator has aluminum on the heat slider too.

NPS sums it up nicely, I have absolutely no worries about using bubba pucks.
Manxman

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Up In Smoke on May 31, 2009, 01:20:22 PM
Jeff,
I echo nepas the generator has aluminum in it also.
besides i have been using them for about 4 years now and my son or daughter
my wife and my talking dog have seen no ill side effects at all! ::) ::) ::) :D

:D  :D  :D

I think your getting more ill side effects from the non-stick coating in your cookware.

nepas

Habanero Smoker

Kummok; the original inventor of the Bubba pucks, addressed this issue sometime back. As others have stated they are aluminum and perfectly safe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jeff_smoke

Thanks for your responses; good enough for me. I google'd a little bit and see that half the cookware sold is aluminum. I'm not much of a green guy, but I'm starting to pay attention a little bit these days just because I don't trust the FDA at all. I believe they're just an enabler for global corporations anyway.
    I'm starting to use glassware in the microwave instead of plastics though.
It seems nearly certain that something man-made has to be causing the incredible rise in autism and other health issues.
    Pardon me; gotta find my smokes...    ;D

Gizmo

I was going to mention the fact that a lot of cookware is aluminum, but you beat me too it.
Funny you should mention not trusting the FDA.
When I had to cut down on carbohydrates, I was looking into Diet Drinks for reduced carbs.  Saw an article from a Doctor that wrote about having a bad case of arthritus that was atributed to certain artificial sweetners.  He researched that and found an article that was written and surpressed decades ago about that same issue.  The FDA and Medical Journals squashed the news because the artificial sweetners were providing those groups with their paychecks with diet alternatives and advertising.
Whether or not any of this is true, it does lend some credibility to allow you to question the research and recommendations that come from entities that rely on the dollars from companies that pay well through advertising for favorable reports.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smokin Soon

The Bradley smokers are not capable of producing enough heat to have any effect at all on the Bubba pucks. They are just "dummy pucks". That's all there is to it.

jeff_smoke

Yep, read that too. You need very high heat to produce aluminum oxide.

Gizmo, as far as my attitude toward the FDA; you just have to look at examples like the one you gave and also take a look at what's being allowed in from China and other countries with little or no scrutiny. Can't jeopardize all that trade...keep it coming at all cost. We can't upset China; they're our bank and we're nearly bankrupt because of the morons and corporate stooges that run our government. They won't enforce the labelling of food to disclose its source because Americans would likely not buy a lot of foods shipped in from overseas if we knew the source.
    Sorry; had to vent...

Kummok

Quote from: Smokin Soon on May 31, 2009, 09:45:18 PM
..... They are just "dummy pucks". That's all there is to it.

HEY! I resemble that comment, SS......   ;) ;) ;D

Original BPs were spec'd with "food grade" stock but I wouldn't eat any of them!! Otherwise, everyone is giving good advice on this, Jeff_Smoke.....

Stargazer

Quote from: jeff_smoke on May 31, 2009, 03:56:02 PM
I'm not much of a green guy, but I'm starting to pay attention a little bit these days just because I don't trust the FDA at all. I believe they're just an enabler for global corporations anyway.
I'm with you on that one jeff_smoke.

The aluminum won't hurt you. I bought my bubba pucks from Yard & Pool when I bought my Bradley and used my bubba pucks for every smoke. Can't live with out them, helping to push the last sweet Bradley wood puck through.

But as for the FDA, I agree with you. To be honest, I trust the guys here WAY before I would the FDA. The guys here literally have taken not just smoking but meats and other foods to scientific levels thats literally incredible. Not just taste wise, but safety wise as well. One example is where as they can tell you all the properties of cures, why they work, whats going on with it, whole nine yards; in easy to understand English.

Before I joined here I got interested in ham curing. I feel like I did well but was still in question as if it was luck. Not many resources out there on the art of curing hams out side of this place on the forums, some but not many and usually hard to understand unless you have some chemistry back ground. After reading many posts from the members I feel very confident and starting on the road to feeling self knowledge based now because of them.

They won't steer you wrong and to be honest, most guys here could probably put the FDA to shame in knowledge base LOL
Go here for all your smoke and grilling needs: http://www.yardandpool.com

sherlock

Side effects........

I am starting to look like the "Tin Man" from the Wizard of Oz. However, some say I look more like I am made of aluminum instead of tin. Hmmmmm, could it be the pucks?
;D

jeff_smoke

Well, it's refreshing to know that I'm not the only silly person hanging around these parts. It's a good distraction after you may have had a crappy day at work. Sort of drift off into the smoker's shire with the rest of you hobbits. Anyway, I do believe I'm all preheated. Gotta go; got some serious smokin to do.  ;D

Caneyscud

Quote from: sherlock on June 03, 2009, 04:25:11 AM
Side effects........

I am starting to look like the "Tin Man" from the Wizard of Oz. However, some say I look more like I am made of aluminum instead of tin. Hmmmmm, could it be the pucks?
;D

Now  I know where to send my extra can of my Miracle Three-in-One oil! ;D
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"