Author Topic: Chicken and Bacon  (Read 21692 times)

Offline JJC

• Castellot Laboratory Webpage
Re: Chicken and Bacon
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2005, 11:17:58 pm »
Great pics, Cold Smoke!  You must be a crazy smoker, since it looks like you designed you kitchen sink to just fit your BS rack . . . [;)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Offline simmy

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2005, 12:51:03 am »
Is the Italian dressing everyone talks about just store bought or is it a recipe? I am pretty open to trying either one of them. Also does anyone have a chicken salad recipe that uses a mayo base? I have done the smoke and spice recipe and it is good but I would like to try a mayo based salad.

Steve

Offline humpa

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2005, 12:56:18 am »
simmy.....I actually use the Zesty Italian Dressing. It just tastes better to me. More spices or something...I don't know for sure. [^][^]

Ernie....Weymouth, MA

Offline nsxbill

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2005, 02:10:04 am »
I use the cheap Sam's Club Big bottles of Wishbone Italian.  Marinate for 24hrs and while reaching room temp after refrigeration while marinating, I add a light dusting up spicy rub - more if I want it more "zesty."  It is cheap, readily available and how much easier can it get?  I just pull the squirt top disk out of the bottle and pour until I have what I want into container or bag I am marinating in.  Nice flavor, the vinegar base tenderizes, and have never had bad results.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Offline simmy

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2005, 02:40:11 am »
Bill, Do you marinade only the chicken or both the bacon and chicken together?

Steve

Offline jaeger

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2005, 03:14:22 am »
simmy,

Here is a link for Lawry's Marinades. I didn't see any with a mayo base but these are worth checking out. There are actually more varieties available then shown on this page! The Caribean Jerk is great on beef!

http://www.lawrys.com/index.cfm?lry_value=products&prodtype=marinades

Doug

Offline jaeger

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2005, 03:27:31 am »
simmy,

Have you ever tried using salad dressing (miracle whip) with some pickle relish.

The best salad dressing that I have ever tried was used to make a turkey salad. It was mayo based with a hawaiian dressing added. Recipe also included walnuts (I thinks)and pineapple pieces. There was a recipe posted recently that looked similar and it reminded me of this delicious salad. We served it with croissants or on a bed of shredded lettuce.

Doug

Offline simmy

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2005, 03:39:00 am »
The hawian salad sounds like it would be very good to try. Thanks for the suggestions Jaeger

Steve

Offline Oldman

• Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2005, 03:44:02 am »
simmy

I totally agree with jaeger about the <b>using salad dressing (miracle whip) with some pickle relish.</b> I also add some chopped celery and just a "touch" of plain ole yellow mustard.

What I really like is when my wife makes her egg salad--same as above--and I add very finely shreaded smoked chicken to it. Give it a day before you eat it..... [^]

Now talk about a good drip for crackers etc.. Do either a smoked chicken salad or the chicken/ egg salad but run it through a blender until it is smooth. People just go nuts over that~~!

When I smoke mullet I always do a few extra for make a fish dip.

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Offline Chez Bubba

• Tryin' to be a good guy
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2005, 03:49:19 am »
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br />plain ole yellow mustard.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Best description I've ever heard for that thin, watery layer that forms on top when it sits in the fridge for a while.......pustard![:D][xx(][:D][xx(][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Offline Cold Smoke

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2005, 03:54:05 am »
Hope you enjoy Bassman- it is a nice meal and just sooooo easy.

JJC- I'll have to pick a better backdrop for my pictures[;)] The trays just fit perfectly...better than making a mess on the countertop.

Simmy- I'm in the same camp as NSXBill and Olds on the chicken salad recipe- I have not used the pickle relish thing though- perhaps next time. I ususally just finely chop up celery, salt & pepper, and good ol' Kraft Miracle Whip. Oh yeah, I also just use any kind of cheap italian dressing- Humpa has it right with the Zesty version.

Cold Smoke

Offline simmy

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2005, 04:00:25 am »
I am going to be doing some Bacon wrapped chicken tomorrow and doing plenty of it to make some salad. i am going to try out the salad dressing with relish and some mustard but i might try my chicago fire mustard in there as well. [:D]

Olds: I bet the egg salad is really good with the smoked chicken. I may have to give that a try to.[:p]

I just love all the things you can do with the left overs from the BS. What a great purchase!!!

Steve

Offline Bassman

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2005, 03:02:00 pm »
Well, I made 8 chicken roll-ups. Came out really good. only thing was that most of the cheese melted out. Must have been too hot or too long or both. Smoked for 2 & 1/2 hrs @ 200 w/hickory. OR perhaps provalone isn't the cheese of choice.All in All they were delicous! Everyone loved them[:p] Today....2 racks of ribs[:D][:p][:)]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Offline Oldman

• Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2005, 06:14:56 am »
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">only thing was that most of the cheese melted out<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Now you know why I used 5 strips of bacon. I had my cheese LOL!

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Offline psdubl07

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2005, 07:59:03 pm »
Did a couple racks of these Sat night, oh man, YUM!  4 pucks worth of hickory on them and pretty much followed Olds' recipe, except used Pepperjack cheese, and chopped some fresh Marjoram to sprinkle inside, hoooo-eeeee!

Did lose some of the cheese, but hey life is unfair. [:p]

One thing I noticed and I've had this problem before w/ bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin, is some of the inside bacon not cooking all the way.  What I mean by this is, when you wrap the bacon around the meat, you often end up with 1 full wrap, plus say another 1/3.  The bacon under the 1/3 second wrap doesn't get real cooked.  

Anyone else experience this?  (I unwrapped them and threw them under the broiler for a couple minutes, but there were still a few pieces we just cut away and fed to the neighbor's dog.....kidding).