Chicken and Bacon

Started by Oldman, January 31, 2005, 02:43:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humpa

John...Weymouth Eagles....around 3:30 or so!!! [:)]

Hey Doc...I'm down to 2 racks a day!!!

Hopeful

This was my first try with the BS and it went well.  Prepared just as Oldman instructed with the prep & layering process.  Put 4 of them in about 4:00 pm with temp probe in the largest of the 4 and they were ready right before 7:00.  Tried to keep the cabinet temp right at 225 (temp lever almost all the way to the right, it was about 45 degrees outside), loaded 6 maple pucks in the tube (it actually burned about 4 1/2) and the flavor was very good, not over bearing.  Significant other does not like bacon or white meat but she really did like this.  The next time I try this I may use a pepper jack cheese or something similar.  Next day was pork loin and smoked onion soup.  Results were again the same.  I have done many pork loins on the Weber grill or Brinkman smoker, but none have come out like this with such little effort.  Friday evening rubbed 2-3 lb boneless pork loin with honey mustard and then applied a coat of Corky's Seasoning (local thing), put in zip lock bag along with 3-4 oz of beer.  Let set until Sunday morning, turning occassionally.  Put in BS about 9:00 am on the bottom shelf, next 2 racks up were onion slices and the top rack was some store bought bacon.  This time I used pecan pucks and had smoke going almost the whole time.  Pulled the onion slices about 1 1/2 hours later and let them cool.  Temp probe registered 161 degrees at 11:30 on the loin, pulled that and the bacon.  The bacon did not last long (I ate most of it) and we had loin sandwiches for lunch, rest is in the frig for sandwiches for the week.  Prepared onion soup like tsquared's recipe, it is very good also, she said I should make it again.  Thanks to all the folks in this forum who post their results, it helped me get started.  I will try to share my experiences, good or bad, each time I use the BS, I think it was money well invested.

Hopeful in Iowa

MallardWacker

Hopoful,

Looks like you started off pretty well.  Noticed that you used Korky's also, this is my favorite rub.  We have a local Pro and University of Arkansas Basket Ball Player owns a Korky's here, A guy named Joe Kline from the Boston Celtics, a little side note here too, my daughter goes to a skills & drills clinic every Sunday where he helps out~~Great Guy also HUGE.  Back to the rub, first it is cheap(at least at WalMart anyway), then I think it just gives a good simple flavor.  I mainly use it on my butts and ribs.  Also I add it to my ABT filling.  Welcome and keep us informed.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

JuneBug

I have to compliment Old for this great recipe. This was my first smoke with the BS and it could not have been simpler. 4 pucks of Hickory and about 2¼ hours at 225° came out without a hitch served it with some pasta with brocolli and parm. cheese, perfect dinner.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I have to compliment Old for this great recipe. This was my first smoke with the BS and it could not have been simpler. 4 pucks of Hickory and about 2¼ hours at 225° came out without a hitch served it with some pasta with brocolli and parm. cheese, perfect dinner.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Glad you enjoyed it. I just wish I could remember which member here put me onto this idea. He/ she was stuffing it with something else...
Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JuneBug</i>
<br />I have to compliment Old for this great recipe. This was my first smoke with the BS and it could not have been simpler. 4 pucks of Hickory and about 2� hours at 225� came out without a hitch served it with some pasta with brocolli and parm. cheese, perfect dinner.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Welcome to the Forum, JuneBug!  Glad you shared your experience with us.  Where do you hail from?  I'm always looking for Northeast BSers . . . [:)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Hopeful</i>
<br />This was my first try with the BS and it went well.  Prepared just as Oldman instructed with the prep & layering process.  Put 4 of them in about 4:00 pm with temp probe in the largest of the 4 and they were ready right before 7:00.  Tried to keep the cabinet temp right at 225 (temp lever almost all the way to the right, it was about 45 degrees outside), loaded 6 maple pucks in the tube (it actually burned about 4 1/2) and the flavor was very good, not over bearing.  Significant other does not like bacon or white meat but she really did like this.  The next time I try this I may use a pepper jack cheese or something similar.  Next day was pork loin and smoked onion soup.  Results were again the same.  I have done many pork loins on the Weber grill or Brinkman smoker, but none have come out like this with such little effort.  Friday evening rubbed 2-3 lb boneless pork loin with honey mustard and then applied a coat of Corky's Seasoning (local thing), put in zip lock bag along with 3-4 oz of beer.  Let set until Sunday morning, turning occassionally.  Put in BS about 9:00 am on the bottom shelf, next 2 racks up were onion slices and the top rack was some store bought bacon.  This time I used pecan pucks and had smoke going almost the whole time.  Pulled the onion slices about 1 1/2 hours later and let them cool.  Temp probe registered 161 degrees at 11:30 on the loin, pulled that and the bacon.  The bacon did not last long (I ate most of it) and we had loin sandwiches for lunch, rest is in the frig for sandwiches for the week.  Prepared onion soup like tsquared's recipe, it is very good also, she said I should make it again.  Thanks to all the folks in this forum who post their results, it helped me get started.  I will try to share my experiences, good or bad, each time I use the BS, I think it was money well invested.

Hopeful in Iowa
Hi Hopeful,

Welcome to the Forum.  Glad you're planning to share your experiences with us![:)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JuneBug

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
Welcome to the Forum, JuneBug!  Glad you shared your experience with us.  Where do you hail from?  I'm always looking for Northeast BSers . . . [:)]

John
Newton MA

I am from Long Island, NY...so I don't know much about <i>real</i> BBQ, but hey I am try to learn.

MallardWacker

Olds,

<b><font color="blue">A little help here.</font id="blue"> </b>  I know this is probably a very iGNoreeNt[^] question, when you cut your breasts in half was it long way or short ways.  Got me 6lbs of chicken, some smoked Prove to do the duty this weekend.  Sams had some HUGE asparagus~~got me two bundles and 2lbs of Jalapeños.  The Mallard household WILL be SMOK'n this weekend.  Man it's been a while....

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Oldman

MallardWacker,
Sorry I did not have this posting subscibe to and just now found your question. It is the "long way."  What you would call with the grain and not against it.

I use a very sharp thin bladed knife. I start at the top of the breast and in the middle of the top I begin my cut. I continue to cut to the bottom tip. I lay my hand flat on top of the breast to hold the breast from moving. Next I don't "push" the blade. I let the edge do the work and slow move toward the breast tip. Just as sure as yesterday is gone if I get into a hurry by the time I'm near the tip end I will feather that knife up and slice my hand.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MallardWacker

Thanks Olds,

I tried them this weekend, 5lbs worth.  Great stuff~~~Kids loved them.  Wev'e been slicing them cold to put on sadwiches.  Kind of funny, the night before we were invited to a Goucho type place, they had bacon wrapped chicken.  My son said mine was better~he's not for one for a lot of comments.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Cold Smoke

Hey folks- I think this might just work.....

My very first picture....[:)]

Cold Smoke

Oldman

Nice Picture, and they look great! How did they eat?

Cold Smoke

Thanks Olds- they were pretty fine, I must say.

These were my comments at the time. I'm still a believer about the brining thing....Maybe in combination with the Italian dressing next time??

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=787&whichpage=3

The batch on the right was treated with a little S & S rub- i believe it was the Wonderful Willys one that I used. IMHO I think that the rub was a good idea- gave it some extra zing...

I'll keep my Kodak nearby now that I've finally got the picture thing happening.

Cold Smoke

Bassman

Cold Smoke,
Nice pics, they look great, I'll be making some today, sprinkling rub on is a good idea. since this is my first batch I'll do half with rub and half without.[:p]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack