Chicken and Bacon

Started by Oldman, January 31, 2005, 02:43:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJC

Great pics, Cold Smoke!  You must be a crazy smoker, since it looks like you designed you kitchen sink to just fit your BS rack . . . [;)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

simmy

Is the Italian dressing everyone talks about just store bought or is it a recipe? I am pretty open to trying either one of them. Also does anyone have a chicken salad recipe that uses a mayo base? I have done the smoke and spice recipe and it is good but I would like to try a mayo based salad.

Steve

humpa

simmy.....I actually use the Zesty Italian Dressing. It just tastes better to me. More spices or something...I don't know for sure. [^][^]

Ernie....Weymouth, MA

nsxbill

I use the cheap Sam's Club Big bottles of Wishbone Italian.  Marinate for 24hrs and while reaching room temp after refrigeration while marinating, I add a light dusting up spicy rub - more if I want it more "zesty."  It is cheap, readily available and how much easier can it get?  I just pull the squirt top disk out of the bottle and pour until I have what I want into container or bag I am marinating in.  Nice flavor, the vinegar base tenderizes, and have never had bad results.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

simmy

Bill, Do you marinade only the chicken or both the bacon and chicken together?

Steve

jaeger

simmy,

Here is a link for Lawry's Marinades. I didn't see any with a mayo base but these are worth checking out. There are actually more varieties available then shown on this page! The Caribean Jerk is great on beef!

http://www.lawrys.com/index.cfm?lry_value=products&prodtype=marinades

Doug

jaeger

simmy,

Have you ever tried using salad dressing (miracle whip) with some pickle relish.

The best salad dressing that I have ever tried was used to make a turkey salad. It was mayo based with a hawaiian dressing added. Recipe also included walnuts (I thinks)and pineapple pieces. There was a recipe posted recently that looked similar and it reminded me of this delicious salad. We served it with croissants or on a bed of shredded lettuce.

Doug

simmy

The hawian salad sounds like it would be very good to try. Thanks for the suggestions Jaeger

Steve

Oldman

simmy

I totally agree with jaeger about the <b>using salad dressing (miracle whip) with some pickle relish.</b> I also add some chopped celery and just a "touch" of plain ole yellow mustard.

What I really like is when my wife makes her egg salad--same as above--and I add very finely shreaded smoked chicken to it. Give it a day before you eat it..... [^]

Now talk about a good drip for crackers etc.. Do either a smoked chicken salad or the chicken/ egg salad but run it through a blender until it is smooth. People just go nuts over that~~!

When I smoke mullet I always do a few extra for make a fish dip.

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br />plain ole yellow mustard.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Best description I've ever heard for that thin, watery layer that forms on top when it sits in the fridge for a while.......pustard![:D][xx(][:D][xx(][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Cold Smoke

Hope you enjoy Bassman- it is a nice meal and just sooooo easy.

JJC- I'll have to pick a better backdrop for my pictures[;)] The trays just fit perfectly...better than making a mess on the countertop.

Simmy- I'm in the same camp as NSXBill and Olds on the chicken salad recipe- I have not used the pickle relish thing though- perhaps next time. I ususally just finely chop up celery, salt & pepper, and good ol' Kraft Miracle Whip. Oh yeah, I also just use any kind of cheap italian dressing- Humpa has it right with the Zesty version.

Cold Smoke

simmy

I am going to be doing some Bacon wrapped chicken tomorrow and doing plenty of it to make some salad. i am going to try out the salad dressing with relish and some mustard but i might try my chicago fire mustard in there as well. [:D]

Olds: I bet the egg salad is really good with the smoked chicken. I may have to give that a try to.[:p]

I just love all the things you can do with the left overs from the BS. What a great purchase!!!

Steve

Bassman

Well, I made 8 chicken roll-ups. Came out really good. only thing was that most of the cheese melted out. Must have been too hot or too long or both. Smoked for 2 & 1/2 hrs @ 200 w/hickory. OR perhaps provalone isn't the cheese of choice.All in All they were delicous! Everyone loved them[:p] Today....2 racks of ribs[:D][:p][:)]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">only thing was that most of the cheese melted out<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Now you know why I used 5 strips of bacon. I had my cheese LOL!

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

psdubl07

Did a couple racks of these Sat night, oh man, YUM!  4 pucks worth of hickory on them and pretty much followed Olds' recipe, except used Pepperjack cheese, and chopped some fresh Marjoram to sprinkle inside, hoooo-eeeee!

Did lose some of the cheese, but hey life is unfair. [:p]

One thing I noticed and I've had this problem before w/ bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin, is some of the inside bacon not cooking all the way.  What I mean by this is, when you wrap the bacon around the meat, you often end up with 1 full wrap, plus say another 1/3.  The bacon under the 1/3 second wrap doesn't get real cooked.  

Anyone else experience this?  (I unwrapped them and threw them under the broiler for a couple minutes, but there were still a few pieces we just cut away and fed to the neighbor's dog.....kidding).