First weekend with my DBS4 in Virginia

Started by wuudogg, June 07, 2009, 03:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wuudogg

New member here... and a First Time Smoker !

I just picked up a Bradley DBS 4 Rack.  I was highly motivated after reading through the forum.  So motivated that I couldn't wait for one to be delivered so I drove 70 miles each way to pick one up at a retail store.

Weekend was spent home with the smoker.  Friday, Chicken Wings Done Jimmy Kimmel style, Drummies and then worked up the nerve for a 12 lb Pork Butt started early Saturday... which I pulled at 0230 this Sunday am.

Anything that I encountered or had questions about I was able to hop on the computer to check out the forums for advice.
Temperature swings... Check
Vent... Check
Pucks... Check
Stuck at 160 for a while... Check
Where to run temp probes... Check

you folks had it all covered.

I CYM'd and FTC'd and all kinds of stuff I've never done before.

I have to say that all went well. Thank goodness for following the advice of others regarding the Maverick ET-73. I would have gone nuts without it.  Think I might want to get another one so that I can monitor more meat... back to Yard and Pool I guess.

Everything came out tasting great.

Next time I'll start that butt at night.  Maybe next weekend.

Thank you all for your contributions.

They truly helped a newb serve some great food for the family this weekend.

Mike

Mr Walleye

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum.

Congrats on hitting the ground running!  ;)

Sounds like you did yourself proud!  8)

You can use both of the ET73 probes for monitoring meat if you want. If you are going to monitor more pieces of meat than that, you may want to use another model. I have a couple of ET73's and it seems they all run on the same frequency.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Caneyscud

Welcome Wuudog. 

You have tasted the wonderful world of Bradley Smokers you can't go back now.  There is no cure!  Congratulations of the success so far!!!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Gizmo

Quote from: Mr Walleye on June 07, 2009, 03:51:37 PM
You can use both of the ET73 probes for monitoring meat if you want. If you are going to monitor more pieces of meat than that, you may want to use another model. I have a couple of ET73's and it seems they all run on the same frequency.

Mike

But you would need to get another meat type probe as (if) the one that comes with the unit is a blunt end designed for monitoring the oven temperature.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Gizmo on June 07, 2009, 09:52:43 PM
Quote from: Mr Walleye on June 07, 2009, 03:51:37 PM

Mike

But you would need to get another meat type probe as (if) the one that comes with the unit is a blunt end designed for monitoring the oven temperature.

Giz

I've used it a number of times and it works fine, a little tougher to push in but it will go.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Hi wuudogg,

Welcome to the forum.

I glad to hear about your smoking successes.

If you want to monitor multi-meats, instead of getting another ET-73; purchase an ET-72. It is made so that you can monitor to meats, or you can just use a single probe and monitor one. It also has a few extra bells and whistles that come in handy.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

wuudogg

Thanks for all of the advice folks.
I'll keep it in mind.

seemore