Is the OBS for me?

Started by bozer, June 08, 2009, 08:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

You might want to check with Tiny Tim he is having a sale.
Go to the home page and go to the bottom and check the smokers for sale.
I think He has everything you will need. If he don't check with Yard and Pool.
They are both members here.

bozer

Thanks. Checked it out. I want the Stainless Steel one, but its going for over $400, and the black one is $288 on amazon. I think I'm going to just go with the black.

So anyway..

I need an OBS
A Maverick
And do I need to buy the wood things now too?

Anything else?

Really appreciate all the help. I will be all over these forums once I get this, I'm sure.

KyNola

Yep, buy the wood pucks now because the first thing you have to do is season the smoker before you can cook anything in it and you have to have the wood pucks to season and cook.

KyNola

OU812

What KyNola said

I like Pecan on just about everything
Alder or Apple on poltry
Hickory on BACON MMMMMMMMM BACON

deb415611

Quote from: bozer on June 08, 2009, 12:41:29 PM
Ok getting close---

So I'm thinking of ordering from amazon. Anything else I need to get while I'm ordering? Can you recommend the right thermometer (Seems odd it doesn't come with a thermometer?)

The thing I like about this smoker is it reminds me of my Keurig one cup coffe making machine.

Welcome  Bozer! 

If you love your Keurig then you will love your Bradley.  It's easy just like the Keurig.

I couldn't justify the cost of the stainless either.  The OBS next to my stainless grill doesn't bother me much.  Most of the time the OBS is covered with the black cover anyways.   :D   

If you are going to leave it outside I would recommend a cover also.

Deb

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: bozer on June 08, 2009, 11:42:39 AM
You guys are getting me excited. I just wish the stainless steel one was the same price (My other grill is SS). It's hard for me to justify that price difference to the wife.

So this PID device thing a majing... I won't really need that for ribs or for pulled pork? I'm in NYC btw, and theres not much BBQ'ing going on out here (just grilling).

Is the PID thing cheap?

Hi bozer;

Welcome to the forum.

I'm upstate, but I know there are a bunch of BBQ joints in the City, burrows and suburbs. I also believe there are a few KCBS sanctioned event coming up in the near future. If you find the time check out one or more of those events.

iKitchen has terrible service. They have the best prices, but you may has to wait weeks to get your order. The customer service is also poor. If you want it right away, you better off trying another source.

As far a the Keurig, they are great. I just obtained my 1,000 points and traded it in for the $80 discount on the Platinum Brewing system. It should be arriving on Friday.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 08, 2009, 02:22:35 PM

As far a the Keurig, they are great. I just obtained my 1,000 points and traded it in for the $80 discount on the Platinum Brewing system. It should be arriving on Friday.

Habs,   Do you buy from Keurig?   I have been buying from Green Mountain but it might be time to check the pricing again.  Especially since they are the same company & I don't get any points.  Mine is 4 1/2 years old (and used everyday) and still going strong but I imagine I will need a new one eventually. 

jha1223

OBS, cover (highly recommended), maverick if you want and wood.  I haven't gotten around to the Bubba pucks yet, but it does save you money pretty quickly so they are a good idea. 

If this is kind of a one shot deal - get all you can now because you won't be able to drop a few bucks here and there - then get it all.  I just got the smoker, cover and some wood pucks.  I have had some very tasty food without the extra equipment.  The Mrs. isn't easily being convinced I need anything else since what we've had so far has been good!

I've used Hickory on brisket and ribs so far.  I also picked up some Special Blend.  I noticed too late I was out of hickory, on a holiday no less, and the only place open that had the pucks was a Scheels. Imagine that, they were sold out of hickory.  So I picked up some SB and used it on three briskets.  I was not disappointed at all.  I know there is a link somewhere here or on susanminor.org that lists the recommended woods with certain types of food. But, you'll find quickly that your own taste buds are the best judge. 

Dive in and welcome to the family!
There is such a thing as BBQ in Nebraska!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: deb415611 on June 08, 2009, 03:47:39 PM

Habs,   Do you buy from Keurig?   I have been buying from Green Mountain but it might be time to check the pricing again.  Especially since they are the same company & I don't get any points.  Mine is 4 1/2 years old (and used everyday) and still going strong but I imagine I will need a new one eventually. 

I've only had my Keurig for about 1.5 years, and it is great. The extra cost in coffee is worth the convenience. The Keurig club is different then Green Mountains. You earn 1 point for each k-cup, but you can only get the points if you buy more then four boxes of 24 at the same time (mix or match), also that will qualify your for free shipping. Under 500 points you get a 10% discount, but again you must place a minimum order of 4 boxes of 24; over 500 is a 15% discount. Keurig also has a larger selection of k-cups on hand.

The points are saved into two categories, Life to Date Points and Available Points. The Life to Date Points always accumulate and go towards your discount. The Available Points are the points you can cash in. For example I had 1,025 Available Points, Keurig current program is that you can cash in 1,000 points, and get the $180.00 Platinum for $100.00 and free shipping. So now I still have 1,025 Life to Date Points, but only 25 points available to cash in at a later date. I hope they will be offering something else to cash in the points.

I just joined the Green Mt. Express club; because there are some Green Mt. k-cups you can't get from Keurig, like the French Toast, and their current Perfect Peach. They give you a good price, but you have to enroll in the automatic shipment, Keurig you don't. So with Green Mt. I have to remember to go in and clear my order, prior to them refilling and shipping it.

Sorry! I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but as you can see I love my Keurig.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

deb415611

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 09, 2009, 02:59:13 AM
Quote from: deb415611 on June 08, 2009, 03:47:39 PM

I've only had my Keurig for about 1.5 years, and it is great. The extra cost in coffee is worth the convenience. The Keurig club is different then Green Mountains. You earn 1 point for each k-cup, but you can only get the points if you buy more then four boxes of 24 at the same time (mix or match), also that will qualify your for free shipping. Under 500 points you get a 10% discount, but again you must place a minimum order of 4 boxes of 24; over 500 is a 15% discount. Keurig also has a larger selection of k-cups on hand.

The points are saved into two categories, Life to Date Points and Available Points. The Life to Date Points always accumulate and go towards your discount. The Available Points are the points you can cash in. For example I had 1,025 Available Points, Keurig current program is that you can cash in 1,000 points, and get the $180.00 Platinum for $100.00 and free shipping. So now I still have 1,025 Life to Date Points, but only 25 points available to cash in at a later date. I hope they will be offering something else to cash in the points.

I just joined the Green Mt. Express club; because there are some Green Mt. k-cups you can't get from Keurig, like the French Toast, and their current Perfect Peach. They give you a good price, but you have to enroll in the automatic shipment, Keurig you don't. So with Green Mt. I have to remember to go in and clear my order, prior to them refilling and shipping it.

Sorry! I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but as you can see I love my Keurig.

Thanks Habs.  I didn't mean to further hijack    I love my Keurig too ;D   It looks like Keurig is about $1 more expensive than the Green Mountain Express for the first 20 boxes but you earn the points so if you plan on getting a coffee maker in the future it ends up being cheaper.   For me I think I have to decide if my current coffee maker is going to last for 40 boxes .   

Habanero Smoker

Your's lasting for 4.5 years is encouraging. I live alone so it took me 1.5 years to get to 1,000 points. At Christmas I would groan every time someone would give me k-cups as a gift.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

deb415611

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 09, 2009, 03:27:22 AM
Your's lasting for 4.5 years is encouraging. I live alone so it took me 1.5 years to get to 1,000 points. At Christmas I would groan every time someone would give me k-cups as a gift.

I am the only one that really uses it but I work from home so it gets a good workout.  My parent's got one about a month after mine and they just replaced it last month. 

Caneyscud

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 09, 2009, 03:27:22 AM
........ I would groan every time someone would give me k-cups as a gift.

I can't believe I'm about to say this!  And I have no idea about what you are talking about, but if a k-cup is anything like a d-cup
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

bozer

Ok one more question before I pull the trigger on this order --

What would you guys recommend as far as the wood?

I was thinking of getting this 60 variety pack, but then I realized maybe some of the wood would be for things I don't plan on smoking.

Right now my number 1 priority is RIBS. Tender, juicy ribs that I can't make on my current grill. After that I will try pulled pork.

That being said, perhaps I can save some doe by not buying the 60 pack? What would you guys recommend.

I've removed the thermometer for now.. Trying to get the price down enough while still being able to make me some RIBS.

Wildcat

I would recommend going with the OBS vice the one in stainless.  I have the stainless and it is pretty, but I do not believe the quality of the stainless is worth the extra money if you are limiting your budget.  Go with the OBS and get the Maverick and Bubba Pucks.

As for wood - it really depends on your taste.  If you are not sure and are keeping spending down, apple is mild enough to use on anything, yet strong enough to taste a good smoke flavor.  If you can budget enough, you may want to consider oak for your beef projects.  Later on, when the budget allows, you can experiment on the other woods.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/