obtaining/maintaining the cooking temp - Winter

Started by Shawn_In_Training, January 31, 2005, 05:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgg

Define very cold & what was the windchill?

Hi the temp was about 22f but the wind was 20mph.
I used a sheet of styrofoam as a wind break but it didn't help much.
What are your thoughts about the possibilities of a 750 or 1000 watt element still coupled to the GURU? This in the context of still low and slow rather than so slow as to be not at all.
Michael

Sauce Bauce

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mgg</i>
<br />Define very cold & what was the windchill?

What are your thoughts about the possibilities of a 750 or 1000 watt element still coupled to the GURU? This in the context of still low and slow rather than so slow as to be not at all.
Michael<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<center></center>
<font color="maroon">  I was just lurking here on this topic.  Temperature is not really a problem here in Arkansas (usually)!  I was wondering for you guys in really cold climates if one of those spaceage blankets wrapped around the BS would help?  I'm thinking of the kind that has a foil like material.

Just wondering....
  </font id="maroon">

nsxbill

It was about 30° F. all night on last smoke...cabinet pretty well insulated, and no problem with respect to cold.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mgg</i>
<br />Define very cold & what was the windchill?

Michael
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I smoke during the winter & it's not uncommon to be below 10F with a bit of wind to boot. I don't have a problem maintaining temp, understanding that it will take a couple more hours than in the summer. 13 hours for a 5 lb butt sounds pretty long, even at those ambient temps. You weren't smoking 20 lbs of something else along with it, were you?

I think you may have a setting on the Guru wrong, but since I don't own one, will respectfully defer to nsxbill for his opinion.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Cold Smoke

On the weekend I tossed in a small 4# butt at 9:00 AM at 200 F and the weather here was -pause- gotta go to metric conversion calculator- 23 F and it took a full 12 hrs to hit internal of 200 F. We had grilled cheese sandwiches for supper. [V] I fully expected to have time to FTC before dinner time. I thought that this smaller piece of meat would take much less time but was proven wrong- again.

Cold Smoke

mgg

Hi all,
 I am still wondering for various reasons and variables if indeed a 750 watt or a 1000 watt element wouldn't have it's place in various situations. Also, if such a thing is even available? I did have an epiphany this weekend when I discovered that the GURU was cycling the burner as well as the element every 6 seconds or so. I figured it out after a few drinks that I could isolate the two from each other to keep the bisquette advancer working constantly and still keep the temperature even.
Michael

nsxbill

I would contact Fred Pirkle to discuss the Rator and the output you are looking for.  He designed the Raptor for use on the Bradley, but also on other Electric smokers.  He will know the specifics. Contact him via his website http://www.thebbqguru.com.  I am sure he will get back to you.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

mgg

Hi thanks NSX Bill,
I was reading about the Raptor and it should easily control an element up to 1500 watts. I'm wondering if anyone out in the Forum might know where I might purchase an heating element of say 750 watts. I'm looking for one similar to the 500 watt one that I purchased from Chez. It was easy enough to replace and I'm hoping for a little more wattage at least until Spring finally arrives [:D] here in Utah.
Michael

whitetailfan

<br />Hi thanks NSX Bill,
I was reading about the Raptor and it should easily control an element up to 1500 watts. I'm wondering if anyone out in the Forum might know where I might purchase an heating element of say 750 watts. I'm looking for one similar to the 500 watt one that I purchased from Chez. It was easy enough to replace and I'm hoping for a little more wattage at least until Spring finally arrives [:D] here in Utah.
Michael
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Interesting - are you thinking about replacing the bulb with a higher wattage, or changing out the ceramic fixture as well?  I'd be concerned about increasing the wattage of the bulb without knowing what the recommendations are of the fixture.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Shawn_In_Training

Thanks to all for the input. I have used my BS several more times with better results. Maybe I just have more realistic expectations. My BS still tops the list of "favorite new toys you got for Christmas".

I have another related question. I have seen some posts about possible putting a brick or other large object on the bottom rack to help hold the heat when the doors are opened. I am considering putting 1 or 2 bread sized pans of water on the side(s) of the bottom rack. This would/could provide benefits in both heat retention and moisture within the smoker. Has anyone tried this with the brick or the water? Comments?

Thanks,
Shawn

Always trying to improve my technique

Habanero Smoker

Adding moister to the BS will only keep your cabinet temperature down. If you are doing poultry with skin, it will make the skin rubbery or leathery. Also too much moisture in the BS will cause liquid to flow out of the door seals, just above your temperature control. This could cause additional problems if water seeps into the area that houses electrical wiring. It is better to use stone, brick or clay.

I am one that believes moist heat does not equal moist meat. If that was the case then boiling meat would make the most tender and moist meat, which boiling does not.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mgg

Hi whitetailfan,
I was thinking of just changing the bulb if possible. But, I am not totally opposed in voiding the warrantee and modifying the BSS quite a bit. When the wind gets howling I need a different set-up.
Michael

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />Adding moister to the BS will only keep your cabinet temperature down. If you are doing poultry with skin, it will make the skin rubbery or leathery. Also too much moisture in the BS will cause liquid to flow out of the door seals, just above your temperature control. This could cause additional problems if water seeps into the area that houses electrical wiring. It is better to use stone, brick or clay.

I am one that believes moist heat does not equal moist meat. If that was the case then boiling meat would make the most tender and moist meat, which boiling does not.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hab~~~Man you are so right...This one of the only things that a owner of a <b><font color="red"><s>[}:)]cookshack[}:)]</s> </font id="red"> </b> can Identify with, they have no choice with the moisture```they experiance the "Rubber Chicken Sydrome"

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Shawn_In_Training

Ok - sounds like the water pans are out.

What about the brick idea - has anyone tried the brick? I think you would need to wrap it in foil to keep the drippings out and any bad tastes in. I saw the posts about the heating element – I am not quite ready to void the warranty on my brand new toy.

Shawn

Always trying to improve my technique

bsolomon

One or two people have tried using firebrick with good results.  Just do a search for the phrase "fire brick".