obtaining/maintaining the cooking temp - Winter

Started by Shawn_In_Training, January 31, 2005, 05:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Shawn,
I forgot to mention that I use a brick in my BS. The size of the brick just fits under the V-pan and there is just enough room to fit the water pan. It does seem to bring the temperature up faster after heat lost due to opening the door.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />I am one that believes moist heat does not equal moist meat. If that was the case then boiling meat would make the most tender and moist meat, which boiling does not.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">You know, I agree with that statement entirely, but I don't think I've ever seen it stated so succinctly![8D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

nsxbill

Here is a link to what one member did to increase the heating capability on their BS.  Using a Salamander, a unit that is used to broil at high temp in restaurants, the heat quickly comes back to heat, and is completely controlled by the Raptor and Competitor BBQ Guru... Pretty cool, and when my unit heating element fails, or my warranty expires, I might consider this in mine.  "Necessity is the mother of invention."  http://forum.bradleysmoker.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=794&SearchTerms=salamander

Something to ponder!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Shawn_In_Training

I am not sure I am ready for the Salamander, but the pictures look pretty cool.

The fire brick keeps sounding better and better. I understand that I don't need to keep opening the door to check the meat while cooking. My issue is the initial loading. By the time I get all the meat in and get the Maverick thermometer set up I have lost most the cabinet heat.

Where do I purchase the fire brick? Do you let it heat up in the BS or in the oven and transfer to the BS? Anything else to add?

Thanks to all!
Shawn

Always trying to improve my technique

whitetailfan

Shawn,
The brick is nothing special, as far as I know it is just a brick.
The original member who introduced it used to heat it up in the oven.  I have never tried that myself, but I do subscribe to the theory.  What I use is six barbecue/grill ceramic rocks placed along both sides of the bottom tray.  They eventually retain heat of the cabinet, and allow for faster recovery.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

car54

I used to work in a foundry and a firebrick is actually an insulator which is what you don't want. I went to a brick manufacturer and purchased what would fit in the Bradley. I even preheat them in the microwave.

Brad

gotbbq

Car54

Does the preheated brick help retain heat?

gotbbq

car54

Yes, the preheat does help to retain the heat. The more mass(bricks) that you can preheat, the faster the Bradley comes back up to temp. when you have to open the door.

FLOSS

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigRed</i>
<br />Shawn,

If time is a concern cook at night. I almost always do butts or brisket over night. This way if I need more time depending on what the Maverick dual probe says I still have the remainder of the morning. Then wrapping in seran wrap, foil, towel and in the cooler will still be hot when you want to serve it. I know your not cooking these items but the idea is the same.

BigRED
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

When you say cvooler, do you mean a dry cooler, or put in a refrigerator ?

MallardWacker

Floss,.

Like a picnic or styro type cooler.   NO ICE just use it for the insulation properties..

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...