Trying a variation of the ABT's

Started by SmokinMoe, January 31, 2005, 07:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinMoe

Today I am going to try the "ABT" but change it up some.  Ok, well, alot.
Instead of the hot peppers, I am going to use a green bell pepper (holds more and not hot) I mixed the shredded Boston Butt with a little of Smoke and Spice's bbq sauce and then will do the bacon, cream cheese thing and smoke.  
When you say, smoke on high, is that 300 degrees? I don't think I will be able to get that temp (40's today) so I think I will have to go 225-250 and cook it slower.  How long would you think at those temps.?

"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

MallardWacker

Moe,

If you are going that direction, try some Pablanos, you won't get the bitterness.  Truly this is my favorite pepper, this is the same pepper used in Chile Releno's and I think it is the same as Ancho when it dried.

I usually choose my peppers so they can lay flat.  Make a "T" or cross in the pepper then clean out the seeds.  Then I fill it with chunks of super sharp white cheddar AND BACON[:p] bits (the pre-cooked kind, I get the Hormel big bag from Sams).  Get some CHEAP bacon[:p] and wrap them up so the "good stuff" doesn't ooze out and hold with a tooth pick.  This is where I really like Hickory.

This is so good that it is just another reason why BBQ is great for breakfast.

Smoke at a temp of 225 and you will be fine.  Just open from time to time to check on the your degree of doness.  I have cooked mine from 2-3 hours.  Depends on how much you want the pepper done.  One thing try and keep the peppers from the back of racks,  the temp from the bulb is hotter and kind of scorches the peppers that are on the far back of the rack if they are too close.

Have fun and let us know.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

SmokinMoe

I used Alder (don't ask me why) and I started them out on 250 (which I was able to achieve easily) and then after an hour, turned it back down to 200 degrees. It has been in since 2:30 (now 4:30) and I am going out to check on them.  They look good and I am sure hungry. Had to call the husband and tell him to get home early or it would be cold!! LOL He is on his way!!

SmokinMoe

Ok, here are the results.
They were great.  Very rich tasting.  I just cut the tops off the bell pepper and salted the bottom of it, put half of the boston butt with bbq sauce in it, then the cream cheese with bacon topping it off.
In my opinion, it needed some crunch.  So, the next time, I might add some finely chopped pecans or ramon noodles (but I think that would absorb the liquid from the cream cheese too much)
I am not done here, I may be on to something, but I will have to experiment the next time.
What are anyone's suggestions to help with the crunchy thing?

MallardWacker

Moe, it does sound like you are on to something, keep us informed.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SmokinMoe</i>
<br />Had to call the husband and tell him to get home early or it would be cold!!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I've gotten that call before, but it had nothin' to do with ABT's![:D][:D][:D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />Moe,

If you are going that direction, try some Pablanos, you won't get the bitterness.  Truly this is my favorite pepper, this is the same pepper used in Chile Releno's and I think it is the same as Ancho when it dried.

I usually choose my peppers so they can lay flat.  Make a "T" or cross in the pepper then clean out the seeds.  Then I fill it with chunks of super sharp white cheddar AND BACON[:p] bits (the pre-cooked kind, I get the Hormel big bag from Sams).  Get some CHEAP bacon[:p] and wrap them up so the "good stuff" doesn't ooze out and hold with a tooth pick.  This is where I really like Hickory.

This is so good that it is just another reason why BBQ is great for breakfast.

Smoke at a temp of 225 and you will be fine.  Just open from time to time to check on the your degree of doness.  I have cooked mine from 2-3 hours.  Depends on how much you want the pepper done.  One thing try and keep the peppers from the back of racks,  the temp from the bulb is hotter and kind of scorches the peppers that are on the far back of the rack if they are too close.

Have fun and let us know.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
. . . my pimentos exactly [:)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

SmokinMoe

Now, boys, play nice.  I realize I am playing on a man's message board, but there are ladies present and you made me blush.
LOL

SmokinMoe

Now, back to business.  
I tried the finely broken ramon noodles in the last pepper and mixed it in after I reheated it.  It was ok.  I was thinking about crushing up some vinegar chips, I think I need a more sour taste or maybe, I will leave out the cream cheese.
I want to try a green pepper dish with rice and ground beef.  I wondered if that would make it better.
What do you think I could add to make this a little better?

MallardWacker

Please forgive me here, Pile on the Crisp Bacon[:p].

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Habanero Smoker

For a little crunch have you thought of water chestnuts or jicama. Both are fairly neutral and will absorb surrounding flavors. My preference would be diced jicama.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

nsxbill

See how it is.  You come to the site seeking instructions, and now you are breaking new ground!

The BS is so forgiving, and lends itself to expirementation.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

SmokinMoe

The water chestnuts could work since it wouldn't really absorb moisture to make it soggy like the chips or the ramon noodles would.
I want to come up with a great recipe to add to the forum (I would be the guinnea pig here first) and then to enter it in a contest or something just to say I did.
Of course, it would be the Bradley group's recipe since I had multiple participation!!
Bill, you were right about wearing gloves. I didn't have any and just went at it anyway.  I can say that I now know there are many cracks in my fingers that I just cannot see, but boy, I sure was aware of them after cutting into two of those peppers (which, by the way, were not jalepenos like I requested.  My husband said, they are peppers, what is the difference? About a 1000 degrees different according to my fingers!) It burned for days, but, I figured if I touched anything to get a virus or cold bug, it would be insurance against catching anything.  LOL

BigSmoker

I love ABT's[:D].  Among my favorite of snacks.  I have stuffed them with just about anything and everything but some of my favorites were just last night.  I used one of the peppers(Cubanelle) Olds posted a pic of in the ABT pepper options.  I had some left over Pork Mexicali(pork loin stuffed with chorizo, shrimp, onions, garlic, cilantro, cumin, japs and S&P). I made little canoes out of the peppers and removed all the inards.  I put a slice of cream cheese in the bottom of each pepper, chopped pork mex. packed on top of that, then salsa mixed with shreaded Mexican cheese on top of that and finally wrapped with 2 slices of bacon.  Used some pecan for smoke and boy were they good.  More like part of the main course since they were much bigger peppers.  Abt's gotta love 'em[:D].

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

nsxbill

Because I like to cook, I get a lot of really great cooking magazines.  One of the most recent <u>Cuisine at Home</u> or <u>Cook's</u> (can't remember which one) described the use of the end of a standard potato peeler to clean out the peppers.  Although I will use gloves too the next time I do ABT's, I will use the peeler to clean out the peppers instead of the end of knife.  Thought you ABT'ers might be able to use the tip(No pun intended)!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.