Hooking up DigiQ/PowerRaptor (PID) to DBS

Started by dberg, June 12, 2009, 05:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dberg

I have a DBS and want to make sure I am hooking up the DigiQ/PowerRaptor PID correctly.  Can someone please confirm this is the correct way to make connections or correct me if I am wrong.

1) DBS sensor cable gets connected between cabinet and smoke generator.
2) No jumper cord between cabinet and smoke generator (disabling digital display control of heater)
3) PowerRaptor gets plugged directly to AC
4) Female power receptacle from back of cabinet gets connected to PowerRaptor
5) PowerRaptor sensor to DigiQ blower
6) DigiQ 12v directly to AC
7) DigiQ temp probes to meat and interior of cabinet.....

My logic here is that you want the PID to control the cabinet heater only and the smoke generator should work independently.  I believe I am essentially bypassing the oven power and temp controls on the digital display of the DBS.

Thanks for your help.

dberg

And I forgot:

8) Smoke Generator power gets plugged directly to AC
9) Power jumper male receptacle in back of smoker generator left unconnected.

Mr Walleye

Hi Dberg and welcome to the forum.

I don't have the DigiQ but have looked at them in the past. I also run a few PIDs, one of them on a DBS. Reading through your setup certainly looks correct and your theory is correct as well.

Keep us posted how you make out.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

I have the DigiQ II with the OBS, but I know how the digital is hooked up and you have it correct. Another reason why you want to by past the generator, is that it can disrupt your bisquette cycle, and can possible jam them up.

The DigiQ II is not a PID. I once spoke with Shotgun Fred and he stated he uses a different algorithm to control the temperature.

Hooking up DigiQ/PowerRaptor

Also welcome to the forum.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)