Orig vs Stainless - I changed my mind!

Started by whitetailfan, February 01, 2005, 09:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitetailfan

In many past threads, we have debated the difference between the Black original BS and the stainless steel BS.  I have voiced my personal opinion that the black is just fine, and it looks good as well etc etc.  We sort of agreed that the difference was only cosmetic and that they functioned the same.

I changed my mind[:(]

Functionally they are still the same, but I had a VERY unpleasant surprise when I disassembled the components to do a cleaning[:(!][}:)][:(!]  All of the black powder coat or paint on the smoke generator that touches the cabinet was bubbled up and pealing off!!!!!!

I have encountered this type of thing around the top vent, but it was minor, and I just brushed everything down around the vent and did not worry about it.  This is causing me much greater concern because the surface area impacted is significantly greater than the top vent.

What is the life expectancy on a bare metal product that is subjected to smoke and moisture every time you fire it up[?][?][?]

Has anyone else had this kind of experience?  I'm 11 months into ownership.  If I had known this was a possible issue, I would certainly considered coughing up the extra $100 bucks for the SS.

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

JJC

Hi WTF,

I'd like to hear what others have to say on this, but I suppose it will depend on whether that black coating was intended to stay put "forever" as a protective coating, or if it is just a cosmetic coating.  It might also depend on what/how the metal underneath is.  If it's anything like my Weber grill--which stays outside all year long and is exposed to smoke, moisture and heat each time its fire up--the coating flakes off but the metal underneath is completely OK (I've had it for 9 years now).  that's just a guess, or perhaps wishful thinking on my part . . . [:)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Chez Bubba

WTF,

I have never heard of this happening before. How do you "clean" it?

I have heard of one instance where the powder coating was bubbling up all over the entire smoker due to faulty coating & Bradley replaced it no problem.

Mine's 4 years old & I don't even have issues around the top vent. Although I don't really clean that too much & it's kinda greasy. I just wipe it with paper towels, never unscrew & remove.

You're still within your year warranty, give them a call. (800) 665-4188.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Fuzzybear

I think that due to deer season being over, Whitetail was looking for something else to do...(kidding Whitetail!)  but yikes!  I clean mine fairly regularly and have never seen the bubbling powder coat/paint issue arise.

I'm interested in hearing how things turn out for ya.

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Chattaroy, WA - USA!

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />WTF,
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
CB,
I was just removing the smoke gen to wire brush the burn plate, and give the unit a shot of air to blow out wood flakes.  That's when I noticed the paint bubbling.

As for the top vent, I noticed it bubble off before, but it was so little that I thought maybe I was looking at it wrong, and that it was just a residue build-up that was flaking off, but I dont think so anymore...

I'm going to take some pics and post again.  I also opened up a thread in the feedback section, so I may stick to it there, but this is still an original vs stainless issue as well, if there are other people having this kind of trouble...

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

whitetailfan

Ya...not waiting for tomorrow.  I have a camera and beer in the fridge, so there's no time like the present[;)]
Here's a pic of the top vent.  Not real easy to see, but you can make out that about half of each segment has the paint peel.

Now here are the real scary ones...I thought that I was not having any luck taking these at night in the garage with the lights on and the flash detracting from the detail, but when I downloaded them, the pics were way better on my comp screen than on the camera display.  Voila:

What does everyone figure?  Does this look like a defect, or how do I proceed with this situation???

ps - just to show you all I'm not in a bitchin' mood and still love the Smoker (despite my current problems) and the fact that I had to look at my pics in photobucket to upload these ones, here's another peak at my first bacon experiment.[:p]

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB

oguard

WTF I was wondering if the smoke residue might be slightly acidic.
This could be causing some of the problems.I've never seen powder coated surfaces peel like that,it is a real durrable product.I would
phone Bradley and see if they have any answeres.Good luck WTF
Keep on smokin
Mike
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

MallardWacker

Man White, your vent looks great compared to mine.  Mine has really blistered.  The paint is already pealing off the werlygig. All I clean mine with is regular dish detergent/hot water.  I never clean the inside, but I do wipe out the bottom.   Tooo many ABT's[:0]???  I have always been told that paint does not stick to galvanized metal, I guess it could be true.

ALSO, I'm HOT on that BACON[:p] pic, looks great!

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Cold Smoke

I just gave my unit (exterior) a thorough cleaning recently and have noticed the same problems that the deer-slayer has mentioned- not quite as severe though---yet. My unit is just a little over a year old. Hope it doesn't get much worse over time.

Cold Smoke

Oldman

Hey guys sorry to hear about this problem.
If I had this problem I think I would
degrease my unit (oven-cleaner) and
then repaint it with engine paint.

From the third picture that WTF
posted the metal does not look like
it is galvanized but cold rolled steel.

IMO as long as you don't allow the
steel to rust the unit will last as
long as any SS unit.
Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />WTF,

I have heard of one instance where the powder coating was bubbling up all over the entire smoker due to faulty coating & Bradley replaced it no problem.

Mine's 4 years old & I don't even have issues around the top vent. Although I don't really clean that too much & it's kinda greasy. I just wipe it with paper towels, never unscrew & remove.

You're still within your year warranty, give them a call. (800) 665-4188.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
I called Bradley.  At first they were top drawer (or top rack I guess in our case hehe), and the girl was ready to send me out a new cabinet, less the door and all the accessories of course.  I told her the generator was the worst of all and offered to send in my pics via e-mail.

Well, I did what I said, and got a reply from Wade himself.  Unfortunately, the message was not what I was looking for, and I have responded again, looking for a solution, and whether or not they are ready to step up to the plate here, and satisfy this customer.

I'm giving them a chance to do the right thing, but my first reaction at the response I got, was not exactly what I was hoping for if you know what I mean.  Either way you can bet I'll be telling my little family here the results - [:D] or [:(!]

Cross your hooves for Whitetail

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB

Ian

Whitetailfan, I'm glad this worked out for you as I have my own issues with a similar problem (unfortunitely the warranty is long gone), but these issues deal with the under side of the vents. I'm sure if you took yours off, you probably would have noticed that all the powder coating is gone. This will result in that ugly black drip mark when the vent is shut down to about 1/3. Anyhow buddy you might want to think about readdressing your mainteneance/cleaning issues. Other wise this situation may arise again.[;)]

Take Care,
Ian (Steelers Fan!!!!)

P.S., The way I avoid the black drip is to disassemble and completely clean vent and vent area after each smoke. [8D]

AKBob

I'm seein some paint (coating) flaking around the top inside edges of the door, just inside the magnetic strip, both the top right and the top left sides. There's also some on the back wall just above the heating element.
I have not gone above 250 degs in preheating.
Has any one else noticed this?

AKBob

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AKBob</i>
<br />I'm seein some paint (coating) flaking around the top inside edges of the door, just inside the magnetic strip, both the top right and the top left sides. There's also some on the back wall just above the heating element.
I have not gone above 250 degs in preheating.
Has any one else noticed this?

AKBob
AK,
Sorry to make this so blunt, but, are you sure it's paint?  The insides of these are as shiny as a mirror when you buy them.  What I would guess you are looking at is the smoke residue that is flaking, which does happen.  I take a wire brush to the inside every so often just to flake off the chunks.
If this is not the case, sorry and please re-post.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB

AKBob

Whitetail you are probly right, with all the smoking I guess the door has taken on a coating of smoke residue.Tnx

AKBob