Auber PID

Started by Klondikesmoker, December 10, 2009, 05:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klondikesmoker

Package arrived today with my Auber PID.  Finally got it hooked up, only took a little while as I am electrically challenged.  Lol :) :)  I have the temp sensor just hanging in thru the top vent on the BDS but it only goes about 4 inches in as the wire is not long enough.  I have the 6 rack BDS and I think the probe is set up for the 4 rack.  Not sure what to do about that.  Also the instructions are a little vague.  When I turn the BDS on do I need to set the temp or time on the Bradley or does the PID completely look after that.  I am sure I have to set the time and turn on the puck feeder but what do I set the tower temp and time to (on the BDS)?

Klondikesmoker

FLBentRider

I think you can put the PID sensor cable through the door.

I like to have the PID sensor next to and just under the lowest rack with food on it.

I'll defer to one of our DBS owning members on the PID setup.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HawkeyeSmokes

For the sensor, I do just like FLB said, run it through door and next to/just under the lowest rack.

The PID, I unlpug the short cord from the smoke generator and plug the smoke tower direct to the PID. The smoke generator is turned on and set, you don't need to do any thing with the temp or time for it, it will be controlled by the PID instead. Leave the sensor cord plugged in to prevent the dreaded E messages. Did your Auber come with an extra power cord?

HawkeyeSmokes

Klondikesmoker

Hawkeye

I hooked it up like Auber suggest and then played with it.  It doesn't matter what the temp is set on the Bradley the Auber overrides it and controls the temp.  So no problem there.  I didn't realize I needed the extra power cord until after it got here, so I didn't order it.    Not a problem the techs at work have a box full of spare computer cords and one of those works just fine. 

Now to get back to smoking but have to get back to work for a week.  I still don't trust leaving a electrical apppliance going in my garage while I am gone for the day.   

Thanks for the help

Klondikesmoker

Husker #13

Klondike,

Let me know how it goes with your new PID. I ordered mine earlier this week and it should arrive this weekend. I've hard a hard time keeping the temp regulated in my BDS. I'm anxious to use it and see how it performs in the frigid weather and snow that hit us this week. Good luck!

canadiansmoker

I just tried out my new Auber PID last weekend by doing smoked salmon. The temp was around -10 F with a slight wind blowing and the PID performed just fine. I only have a 4 rack BDS and put the sensor through the vent, but it would only reach down to the 3rd rack. Next time I'll put it through the door so I can get the sensor just below the bottom rack.

The temperature regulation was much, much better than just using the Bradley by itself. The display on the Bradley was reading about 30-50 degrees higher than the PID. I did check the sensor on the PID against my Maverick and they were dead on (I also had checked both against a Thermapen to make sure they were matching up as well.

watchdog56

you are going to love your PID.