Auber "Bubba" pucks

Started by 3rensho, June 16, 2009, 01:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: BigJohnT on October 19, 2009, 05:39:26 PM
I better cut more stock...

JT

And fine tune the CNC program and polishing time to keep production time cost down. You have make a buck to keep doing this. That puck looks great John!
HawkeyeSmokes

BigJohnT

Hawk,

Thanks. I've been honing the CNC program for the last two weeks while learning some new CAM software. It was a good learning experience for the software to pick some creative type of project like the JT puck. Any one want to buy for the first one at my cost? HR knows what it cost to make I think.

JT

classicrockgriller

I got auber pucks but got two smokers. I'm game. If you want pm me with $ and a way to pay.

BigJohnT

CRG,

They will be at Scott's Place when I get a good handle on the time to manufacture them. The link is in my sig.

JT

Quarlow

I am in too just say how and when.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: BigJohnT on October 19, 2009, 05:50:13 PM
Hawk,

Thanks. I've been honing the CNC program for the last two weeks while learning some new CAM software. It was a good learning experience for the software to pick some creative type of project like the JT puck. Any one want to buy for the first one at my cost? HR knows what it cost to make I think.

JT

I have not used or run a CNC, but, do know a bit how they work and the cost involved. I sold a product that the manufacture would take a $25,000 block of aluminum, and use a CNC machine to carve it down to make a mold for fiberglass production. To practice on, they used a block of Styrofoam. Go figure that one.
HawkeyeSmokes

BigJohnT

Quote from: Quarlow on October 19, 2009, 05:55:58 PM
I am in too just say how and when.

How is at Scott's Place... when should be the end of the week.

JT

BigJohnT

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on October 19, 2009, 06:01:23 PM
I have not used or run a CNC, but, do know a bit how they work and the cost involved. I sold a product that the manufacture would take a $25,000 block of aluminum, and use a CNC machine to carve it down to make a mold for fiberglass production. To practice on, they used a block of Styrofoam. Go figure that one.

A block of foam is a cost effective way to see if you have any gross errors in your G-Code. Sometimes cutting air is a good plan. Some use machinable wax... I just put love scars in my vise from time to time, but I rarely do that any more. It's more on having a good CAM program that you can trust the output. That is why I switched a short while ago.

JT

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: BigJohnT on October 19, 2009, 06:16:36 PM
Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on October 19, 2009, 06:01:23 PM

A block of foam is a cost effective way to see if you have any gross errors in your G-Code. Sometimes cutting air is a good plan. Some use machinable wax... I just put love scars in my vise from time to time, but I rarely do that any more. It's more on having a good CAM program that you can trust the output. That is why I switched a short while ago.

JT

I know what you mean John. It's pretty amazing the first time you watch those carbide cutters spinning and moving through the air. After a while, it starts to make sense but still amazing the precision that it has. And if I was running it, the love scars would be every where!  :D
HawkeyeSmokes

BigJohnT

Here is one when you press the wrong button  :o

JT

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: BigJohnT on October 19, 2009, 06:28:38 PM
Here is one when you press the wrong button  :o

JT

Here we are, back to cost of production. That cutter can't be cheap!
HawkeyeSmokes

BigJohnT

That one is not bad it is HSS Cobalt Coated 3/4" diameter about $30. The carbide ones I use now are about $90 for a 3/4 one but I get 6 times the life if I don't break it LOL. I usually use a smaller ones for most of the parts I make for our business. The worst part about breaking one is you have tram the head cause it moved for sure when you broke something. Like I said I don't do that much any more. I like to think that when I didn't get what I expected then I got some experience and it is up to me to learn from that experience.

JT

HawkeyeSmokes

I have shattered a few carbide burrs using a die grinder. They last a long time if your real good, but one oops, little bits are flying every where. The little ones I was using cost about 20 bucks.
HawkeyeSmokes

Hopefull Romantic

Any one want to buy for the first one at my cost? HR knows what it cost to make I think.

JT

I would be willing to go for the prototype. What would be the cost.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

BigJohnT

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on October 20, 2009, 03:54:03 AM
Any one want to buy for the first one at my cost? HR knows what it cost to make I think.

JT

I would be willing to go for the prototype. What would be the cost.

HR

I'm pretty sure you don't want to pay me for my time on the first one. I worked on the design off and on for two weeks  :o

John