What's a PID?

Started by MontanaGuy, June 18, 2009, 10:35:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MontanaGuy

Hey ya'll,

I'm the happy owner of a Bradley Digital 4 Rack Smoker.  I've never used a smoker before.  Just got it a couple weeks ago.  So far I've managed to smoke some pretty good jerky and a chicken that needed some work but was edible!

I've noticed mention of PID's on the forum.  Can someone give me a simple explanation about what a PID is and why I may want to get one?  I'm thinking it helps with regulating heat but I'm not sure.  If it is some kind of heat regulator, is there any reason I would need one since I have the digital smoker? 

If a PID is recommended, does anyone have a recommendation for which one to get and where to get it?

Thanks for the help.  I think I'm going to enjoy this smokin' thing!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: MontanaGuy on June 18, 2009, 10:35:38 AM
Hey ya'll,

I'm the happy owner of a Bradley Digital 4 Rack Smoker.  I've never used a smoker before.  Just got it a couple weeks ago.  So far I've managed to smoke some pretty good jerky and a chicken that needed some work but was edible!

I've noticed mention of PID's on the forum.  Can someone give me a simple explanation about what a PID is and why I may want to get one?  I'm thinking it helps with regulating heat but I'm not sure.  If it is some kind of heat regulator, is there any reason I would need one since I have the digital smoker? 

If a PID is recommended, does anyone have a recommendation for which one to get and where to get it?

Thanks for the help.  I think I'm going to enjoy this smokin' thing!

Here is the Auber site for the PID. It will tell you all about it. I have the programmable PID

http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14

nepas

MontanaGuy

Nepas,

Thanks for the response.  I'll give it a look over.

pensrock

Simply put a PID, as it is referred to here, is just a temperature controller that can be adjusted to get very tight control over the tower temperature. A BDS will swing in temp as much as +- 20 degrees F, similar to your stove in the kitchen. It justs turns the full power on then off which causes the over/undershooting you see on the digital controller. With a PID you can get that to control to +- 1 or 2 degrees. It depends on what you are using the smoker for if you would benifit from a PID, many people here smoke/cook great food without one. I made my own and love it, but thats just me.

MontanaGuy

Thanks Pensrock.  I'll look at the one that Nepas suggested.  I'll probably use the smoker for awhile and then determine if I need to spend the $.