Buying for a smoke

Started by GrillZilla, June 18, 2009, 02:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrillZilla

I called my local Kroger today to see if I could get about 10-12 lbs of salmon.  I told the butcher that I would be buying in bulk like this from time to time...she offered to reduce the price by $1 per lb and cut it in 1/2 inch strips too.  Just figured I would share this...most grocery stores will cut the meat for you...like jerky cuts if you ask.  They are also open to lowering prices if you indicated you will buy from them on any regular basis - which I plan to. 

Just thought I would share as I do not have a meat slicer and this will save a great deal of time, fingers and extreme aggravation...not to mention $$ for not having to buy a meat slicer. 

Up In Smoke

Grillzilla,
which kroger is this??
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

GrillZilla

The one in Calhoun GA.  But I also called my Food Lion and they too agreed to cut my meat the way I want.  You need to speak with the meat/seafood mgr.  They just offered the discounted price after I told them I would be smoking a good bit of food.  I did not even have to ask. 

GrillZilla

and to quote from the Godfather....I have found that you can get alot further with a kind word and a gun, than just a kind word.... ;) (and this is a joke)

Up In Smoke

I will check into that thanks.
i was thinking if i cannot set something up here (Jasper) we may get together
and see if with a bigger order we can cut the $$ a little more.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

GrillZilla

That is a great idea.  Send me a message (with phone number) when you are ready to order (give them a few days in advance she asked) and we will go in together.  I could try and make a point to travel to your neck of the woods when we order to save you a trip over.  $5.99 lb for Salmon....usually $6.99.  My racks should arrive today so I will probably be up and running very soon. 

Slamdunk

$ 5.99 a pound ?? Out here in BC that is something that we fisherman would not pay!

We'd rather spend our money on License fees, new rod, new reel, gas for the boat, tune up for the motor, new lines on the new reel, parking fees, launching fees, new state of the art lures.