Need your advice

Started by HAmmer32261, August 25, 2009, 02:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HAmmer32261

Im thinking about getting the digital model but in the reviews i've read the number one gripe is that it takes so long to heat up and they cant get it over 200degrees whats been all your experience with it and can you reach the advertised 320 like its suppose to go up ot thx. Im also thinking of getting the original non digital seems like it may be less headaches if the digital display goes out

I really like the smoker and i've watched numerous vids on youtube about the bradley line

Any help is much appreciated  thx   

John

mikecorn.1

I have the digital 4 and while pre-heating, its gone as high as 305 (was busy doing prep work and forgot about it) Like most here, yes i would say that the temp swings are common. I have smoked stuff where i have had to back down on the temp because it get way ove 225 (with the maverick watching the tower temp) Last weekend I loaded it with chicken breasts and legs and the temp never got over 195. No big deal. I applied the smoke while never opening the smoker. I cooked in smoker till about 140 and started to rain so I finished in the house oven to 160. Came out great.
Mike

Jimmy

Hey John,

I have the BDS 6 rack and so far it has performed perfectly, the highest I have cooked with it so far is 235 and it took about 30 min to get there and held the temp without any problems, that was with the outside temps in the low 60's at night...  I am curious how well it will do as the temps start dropping this fall and winter...  From what more experienced users have said it seems to do ok in the cold as long as it's not too windy...

HawkeyeSmokes

Hi John, I to have the BDS 6 and the hottest I have seen is about 280 while preheating. I would think the 4 rack would get hotter as they both use a 500W heating element. But have no problem doing a slow smoke/cook like it was designed for. Just a longer recovery time with a large load of meat.
HawkeyeSmokes

Smokin Soon

It's really not about heat for this style of cooking. The Weber Smoker that went into the dumpster would not go below 300 degrees and that was the "kiss of death". Everything worthwhile only needs 200 - 225
for a really beautiful cook if you have the patience.

mikeradio

Welcome John

Lots of great information here and people with lots of experience.

Cheers

Mike

lumpy

Welcome to the forum.
I did 2 pork shoulders yesterday. Preheated for 1,5 hours. temp hit 280.
Set temp at 220 and it kept the temp within 15 deg. swings.

The Bradley is not a high temp cooker............its a slow cooker.

Lumpy

KyNola

Welcome John,
Today I fired up my BDS 4 rack to preheat.  When I started it was 84 degrees in the box, 30 minutes later it was a little north of 250.  Remember the main heating element is equivalent to heating with 5 100 watt lightbulbs.  I know that some folks complain about it not heating properly.  My brutal guess is it is most likely operator error.

No offense intended towards anyone.  Most likely lack of experience with the Bradley.
KyNola

HAmmer32261

Lots of great replys very helpfull thx everyone, it will give me something to think about
over the winter. i'm just gonna use my grill for now and make a purchase in spring.
i'm definitely steering to the Bradley.