First smoke

Started by seagravedriver, June 15, 2009, 10:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bradley (Head Office)

Quote from: seagravedriver on June 17, 2009, 06:14:44 PM
Wow!   ;D  Thank you Brian!  I will soon, but right now I am busy laying in front of the smoker sniffing.   I am on shift tomorrow for 24 hours, but I will get around to it after that.  Thanks again!

P.S. This kind of service info deserves to get passed on, and it will. 

Regards, Craig

Well Craig
I have to say the laying in front of the smoker sniffing damm near made me fall out of my seat with laughter, That is one i will write down.

If you want PM me your shipping info and flavour you want and i will have it taken care of.

Brian

Gizmo

Quote from: Bradley (Head Office) on June 17, 2009, 08:37:36 PM
Quote from: seagravedriver on June 17, 2009, 06:14:44 PM
Wow!   ;D  Thank you Brian!  I will soon, but right now I am busy laying in front of the smoker sniffing.   I am on shift tomorrow for 24 hours, but I will get around to it after that.  Thanks again!

P.S. This kind of service info deserves to get passed on, and it will. 

Regards, Craig

Well Craig
I have to say the laying in front of the smoker sniffing damm near made me fall out of my seat with laughter, That is one i will write down.

If you want PM me your shipping info and flavour you want and i will have it taken care of.

Brian

Maybe a new picture for a T-shirt, showing a guy laying down in front of the smoker (next to the dog) with lofting smoke encircling his nose..
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

seagravedriver

All went VERY well after all.  So well in fact that I woke 2 of my kids up, (fanatics for good smoked/BBQ meat) and gave them both some fantastic pulled pork.  Wife kinda rolled her eyes, but I gotta teach these kids while they are young, so "Man School" was in session last night!  The down side is I am at work for 24 hours with a little baggie of goodness, and they have the rest at home :'(  If I know my kids, they will eat very well.

It was about a 9 hour smoke.  It had a great "crust" or "shell" around it.  I tore it up and was a pretty happy guy.  Tasted good, and I brought some to work, but we have been non stop since I got here at 0800.  I don't want to say it was easy, but it was, thanks to this forum and some great advise from the folks at Bradley. Let see what happens next!  I am gaining friends like a pick up truck owner on moving day, as the smell went through the neighborhood.

Tenpoint5

That is one of the side effects of a Bradley the neighbors know when you have it fired up and its awfully hard to hide that smell.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mav23

I've been smoking on a Weber for years.  After tasting my buddies pulled pork on his Bradley, I had to get one.  I bought it yesterday and seasonded it, as prescribed.  Today I did 3 racks, but the temp never got higher that 180 after the first 3 hours.  Once I pulled them out after 3 hours of smoke, I wrapped them and when I went to put them back in the temp was up to 250.  As soon as I put them back in the temp dropped back down to 180. 

Any reason why this happened and any suggestions on how to maintain a 225-250 temp.  As you can tell, I am a newbie.  Any help is appreciated.

KyNola

Seagravedriver,
Sounds like you killed it!  Congrats but there is one thing that you simply can't do.  You can NEVER EVER tell anyone outside of the folks on this forum how easy it is to make great food with the Bradley, especially a spouse. :D  You have the opportunity to not do honey-do's, and make sure to keep properly hydrated because you "have" to attend the smoker at all times.

Don't blow it for the rest of us.  ;)  Seriously, nice job.

KyNola

islandcrabber

You should have listened to your good buddy and bought a maverick wireless thermometer first of all.  Maybe you should give up smoking and become a lawn dart professional. :o

HawkeyeSmokes

Congrats Seagravedriver, And welcome.

Glad to hear of your success and am sure you will enjoy many more.

Mav23, I would think of a couple things. First, did you preheat the smoker? That would help on heat recovery when you put the meat in. Second, don't peak to much while smoking as when you do, your looking and not cooking. Third, make sure that top vent is open to let the moisture out.

Hope this helps a bit and have fun.

HawkeyeSmokes

Gizmo

MAV,
What was your set temp?

I will assume you have a digital and had the set temp at 225 or some thing and with the load of 3 racks, it would not reach it.  I would recommend setting the set point at 320 deg when you first start and preheat to 260 deg.  Load and keep the set point to 320 (max for the original slider folks) until your temperature reaches your desired temp (best if read on a remote with the temp sensor located just under the 1st rack of ribs (don't let it touch any walls or the meat).  Once your box temp reaches the desired temp, decrease the set temperature to 280 or so to maintain your set temp.  Decrease in 20 deg steps to maintain your box temp.  Usually 3 to 4 hours is where the exterior of your meat, the box, and the set temp are all in harmony.  As mentioned, opening the box will decrease the temp.  You can increase the set temp for a little while to aid in recovery.  Just be carefull to not keep it there to over run the box temp.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/