Rib Wars!!! I am having a rib off tomorrow at the office

Started by tkoshot, June 24, 2009, 06:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tkoshot

A friend of mine came into my office Monday with some country style pork ribs, they were not bad.  After I cleaned up what he brought in I had an idea....rib wars!  We are facing off tomorrow at the office at high noon.  I have my Bradley six rack on the job.  Any advice or suggestions please feel free to pass them along

Five of my six racks are full of spare ribs that have been rubbed down with spices.  The last rack has a few country style ribs and a couple of beef.  I have them in the Bradley for 5 hours at 180 degrees, with two hours of smoke, hickory and maple.  My intention is to brush them with BBQ sauce and warm them in the oven prior to lunch tomorrow, looks like from what I have read on here most folks wrap them in foil.  I also cut the ribs into individual pieces seems like them would smoke better that way?

TKO

http://s1022.photobucket.com/albums/af350/tkoshot/?action=view&current=DSC04133.jpg

ps not sure how to add pics?

Smokin Soon

For me, I would never cut a rib until "The Fat Lady Sings" meaning fully cooked and rested. I would fear that some of the slow cooking magic would be violated by cooking cut ribs. But that's just my opinion only with no experiance cooking cut ribs. I sure do like to take a fat 3 pack to work vac sealed and re-sauced a bit!

If you really want to win the dang thing, smoke-cook the day before, wrap in plastic and put in the fridge. Crisp and sauce on the grill and you win!

La Quinta

KyNola

TKO,
I was going to question you about your total cook time of 5 hours at 180 but I really can't help you because you cut the ribs individually.  I'm not being critical.  I simply have never done them in that style so I can't assist you.

Hope you win!  Good Luck and please let us know!

KyNola

tkoshot

I will have to run some through without cutting them apart.  My thought was like salmon, you cut into smaller strips so the sides get the smoke as well.  More testing...lol  I will post pics on here as soon as I figure it out, could be a while.

Ka Honu

Don't think I'd cut them into individual ribs before smoking but I've done "quarter racks" with no problem.

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)