Eye of round roast

Started by westexasmoker, June 22, 2009, 04:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westexasmoker

Almost forgot about doing this on Friday!
Eye of round roast, simple rub of salt, pepper and garlic powder..vac sealed and rested in the fridge for a week.

Butterflied it open

Then stuffed with roasted red bells, mushrooms, firejack cheese and jalapenos

Rolled back up and tied up with butchers twine, while the smoker comes up to temp

Smoked for 2 hours and was pulled @ IT of 155, forgot to get a pic after the smoker, this is pulled out of the fridge tonight so it looks a bit drier then it was and I also threw some bacon on top prior to the smoke!

C

Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

La Quinta

Gotta tell ya WTS...I tried an eye round....and it was horribly tough....I obviously did something wrong...yours looks great....

Smokin Soon

Me too! I was not going to fess up, but since LQ did I will also. Mine was kind of juiceless and dry and I only cooked to 146.  ???
Mine ended up in a Hungarian Beef Stew that was awesome so no complaints.

westexasmoker

Quote from: La Quinta on June 22, 2009, 06:39:45 PM
Gotta tell ya WTS...I tried an eye round....and it was horribly tough....I obviously did something wrong...yours looks great....

Yep I'm with ya there LQ, eye round is so dang lean (I've killed plenty) but with the stuffing and the bacon on top it was great...I think the bacon on top was the the trick there.  I can say the stuffing with the firejack and jalapenos gave it a great kick!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Ka Honu

wts - I've always shied away from them for the same reasons LQ & SS gave but, having seen your result, may have to give it a try.  Should'a known bacon'd make it work!

Caneyscud

Man, WTS, that looks great!   Done some fatties with a similar mixture, but not a EOR.  Officially on the to-do list nowW

LQ, if you are hard core, you could stuff it with a mixture of ground up bacon and sausage.  Kind of a Meat-Lovers type of EOR!  That takes care of the inside very, very, well.   The outside is your choice - I get the old mop out myself!  
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

OU812

WTS

That looks great. I do the same thing with pork loin.

Going to have to try it with EOR some time.

smokeitall

Thanks for the post WTS, that looks great and I love spicy.

La Quinta

Caney...I'm pretty sure bacon could not have fixed mine...it was horrid....we had pizza that night!!!  :D