Feeling a bit fishy

Started by westexasmoker, June 26, 2009, 07:52:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westexasmoker

Did up some catfish and tilapia for dinner last night.  Catfish all peppered up.

Hit with 2 hours of smoke (should of gone with just 1 1/2 hours but got sidetracked)

Grilled tilapias

Served with some white rice with mixed vegtables and teriyaki sauce.

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

aces-n-eights

Looks great... i like the quick sear on the grill - nicely done!
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

Margareeman

Looking good, love fish. Just bought some fresh mackerel and haddock, caught this morning not too far from my place. Getting ready to smoke them. Never did it before so I am going to look on the site for tips.

Dysartsmoker

I have done Basa a couple of times brine over night and then smoke for 2-3 hours but always comes out kind of rubbery how's the texture on your's???
Jack

smokers

Bradley original

Centro Electric Digital Smoker

LUHR JENSEN MINI CHIEF TOP LOAD 15LB SM

Great outdoors smokey mountain

7 IN 1 MASTERBUILT

old school wood pit

westexasmoker

Quote from: Dysartsmoker on June 26, 2009, 09:42:32 AM
I have done Basa a couple of times brine over night and then smoke for 2-3 hours but always comes out kind of rubbery how's the texture on your's???

Never had the rubbery problem....they come out nice and flaky, although I did overcook the catfish a bit this go around!

C

tsquared

I'm going to have to find some catfish--we don't see much of it for sale here in BC but I had some not long ago in a restaurant and oh my--it was great! What do you pay for it Westtexas?
T2

westexasmoker

Quote from: tsquared on June 26, 2009, 06:03:15 PM
I'm going to have to find some catfish--we don't see much of it for sale here in BC but I had some not long ago in a restaurant and oh my--it was great! What do you pay for it Westtexas?
T2

Runs about 1.99 a pound, but catfish run a plenty down here in my neck of the woods!  ;D

C

manxman

QuoteJust bought some fresh mackerel and haddock

Done both in my BS on several occasions, mackeral are best hot smoked and haddock cold smoked IMHO.  :)

Manxman