1,000,000 Scoville Units

Started by Oldman, June 27, 2009, 05:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

In today's paper it was report that the Bhut Jolokia aka Ghost Pepper is right at 1,000,000 Scoville Units.  For those that don't know a Jalapeno Pepper is about 5,000 Scoville Units.

This site has a "limited" supply of seeds: http://seedrack.com/08.html?gclid=CP6Pw6W8qpsCFQJvswodCF-YDA

I think I will pass....

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Buck36

1,000,000!!!!!

I would be nervous just picking it.

pensrock

I have some bhuts growing in the garden now along with nagas, chocolate habs, orange habs, thai hot, penos, fresnos and hot wax. I think thats all Lol.

Oldman

QuoteI have some bhuts growing in the garden now
What do you do with them?

Jokingly I told my wife I should plant a bunch of them for those people who like to steal from my garden.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

pensrock

If someone stole one and ate it, they would be in some pain. LOL  :o

I actually dry them and then grind into a powder to spice things up when needed. A little goes a long way.  ;)
This year I may try smoking some then drying and grinding like I do with penos.

The smaller red peppers in the upper right of the basket are a few nagas from last year.

lumpy

I'm sweating just thinking about 1M Scoville.

Lumpy

Oldman

QuoteI actually dry them and then grind into a powder
What are you using to grind them into a powder? And how are you protecting yourself when grinding?

pensrock

I use one of those small spice grinders, Black & Decker I think. I put them into a plastic bag and seal it, then crush them as much as I can. Then into the spice grinder till its ground as fine as I like. I do this outside on the deck with a fan blowing on my back so if any dust should fly out it is blown away from me. I have not had a problem yet. Fingers crossed.  ;D
When dealing with any peppers hotter than cayanne I always wear rubber gloves, for obvious reasons. Smoking Duck learned the hard way.  ;D ;D

manxman

QuoteI use one of those small spice grinders, Black & Decker I think. I put them into a plastic bag and seal it, then crush them as much as I can. Then into the spice grinder till its ground as fine as I like. I do this outside on the deck with a fan blowing on my back so if any dust should fly out it is blown away from me. I have not had a problem yet. Fingers crossed.   
When dealing with any peppers hotter than cayanne I always wear rubber gloves, for obvious reasons. Smoking Duck learned the hard way.

I have got a Bhut Jolokia growing at the moment amongst some other chilli's, will rememebr this advice when the time comes!  ;) :D
Manxman

beefmann

1 m scoville.... can we say 3rd degree tongue burn.. owie..  no thanks

Buck36

Pens powder may actually be hot enough to put with our bird seed. The cayenne doesn't seem to phase the squirrels anymore.

pensrock

cayenne are around 30,000 units, jalapenos about 5,000, so yes the bhuts and nagas are a LOT HOTTER!  :o

Scotty-G

I had 3 baby bhuts pepper plants growing and went on vacation for a week -  During that week we had a hot dry spell and lost all 3 plants  :(  :(  :(

Now I have to order some more seedlings.