First fish smoke

Started by Margareeman, June 27, 2009, 08:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Margareeman

Hello all, I know this is not the right spot for this but I have tried to find the diffrent categories for the different types of food (fish,poultry, etc;) but was unable to find it, i always thought it was on the front page. Perhaps I just can't see it for looking! Here is some fish I smoked last night. Mackerel and haddock. Came out a little dry but very tasty just the same. I thought they would come out a little darker?

tsquared

They look good Margeree. I've enjoyed smoked mackerel on sushi when i buy it but I have never tried my own. What did you brine them with?
T2

Margareeman

LOL, ya know I didn't brine them. perhaps that is why they turned out a little dry. If you don't mind, how and what do you use to brine them and what is the purpose? any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I am planning on doing some more this week for my Mom and Dad.
Thanks,
Norm

tsquared

People used to brine them to help preserve them, prior to refrigeration. Now it's done primarily for taste. I'm in uncharted territory recommending anything for mackerel but I know they are fairly oily (we get them on warm water years out here, so I have caught them). Why don't you use a salt sugar brine, easy on the salt.

1 gallon cold water
1 cup pickling salt
2 lbs brown sugar

Brine for 12 hours, keeping the brine/fish mix cold.

That is the basis for the salmon strips everyone makes on this board but I don't see why it wouldn't work for mackerel.
Stir the fish several times during the brining period. Take them out and air dry them on racks so there is a shiny pellicle on the flesh of the fish. I use a fan down in my cool basement in the summer. The fish have been in the brine so they don't have to be in the fridge for the few hours this drying period takes. Then pop them into the smoker, using the graduated temp rise described in Kummok's salmon strips recipe--I wouldn't take the temp past about 145.
Let us know how it turns out!
T2

Margareeman

Thank you very much tsquared, i will try it this week and let you know how I made out.

Roadking

Margareeman

Thanks Roadking, great information.

crabwise

Wow.  Where did you get all that fish, and why no pics of cleaning them?  ;)

Tenpoint5

Norm they look great!! Did they have the smoked taste that you was after?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!