3rd time is a charm for Beef Brisket

Started by Bobbert, June 28, 2009, 12:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobbert

All, I thought some newbie would love the help for doing their first brisket!

With the help of WTS (yes I use mesquite), Hab and 10.5 plus reading all the posts on this site I hit the brisket out of the park last night and today!!  My wife thought it is (well soon to be was!) the best brisket she ever had!  This one turned out perfect almost apart!! 

The rub I used is a bit of many peoples rub with changes here and there, but it was very nice!!!! As you will see.

So for the newbie looking to do his or hers first brisket here you go, (and I cannot thank WTS for taking my brisket from shoe leather to mouth watering!!!  THANKS WTS!!!

Bob's Beef Brisket (B3) Rev 3 (24June09) Third Time is a Charm!

Started with a 5.8 lb beef brisket ---Fat cap is key!  I got a cryovac brisket from Costco.

Rub (This made enough for a 6lb Brisket)
•   1/4 cup paprika
•   2 T Black Pepper
•   2 T Kosher salt
•   2 T of Sugar
•   1 T Chili Powder
•   2  tsp Onion Powder
•   2  tsp Garlic Powder
•   1 tsp Cayenne
•   1 tsp Cumin
•   1 tsp Thyme
•   ½ tsp nutmeg

Rub Brisket night before and let sit in glass dish overnight. 

For a DBS
•   Set Oven temp to 220 degrees and Preheat
•   Set oven timer for 9:00
•   Set Smoke for 3:40 hours with vent about half open
•   Let cook for 20 more minutes
•   At 4:00 hours place Brisket into pan with a splash of Apple Juice (optional), no need to over do it.  Cover with foil (boating) and put a probe in it! And cooked at 210 degrees I cooked this from 10pm to 9 am. Low and slow!!!
•   Cook until  IT is about 195 degrees.  Total cook time (smoke and boat) was 15 hours plus 3 hours FTC

Used all mesquite (make sure you hit the briquette advance 2 times prior to starting the smoke

Fill Drip bowl 3/4 full of water

I started smoking at 6PM, boated the brisket at 10PM and drop the temp to 210 degrees at 9am the next morning the IT was 193 degrees and the brisket almost fall apart!!  Then FTC for 3 hours and had a great lunch!!! The Brisket was juicy and tender - PERFECT! 

FTC - After the smoking / cooking process place the Brisket in a foil tray or wrap in foil added back some juice from the pan about 1/2cup, cover the top with Foil, wrap all that in Towels so that there is no foil showing then into a Cooler for an hour or longer the longer the better. (FTC for 3-5 hours)

Enjoy,
Smokem if ya Gottem!!

pensrock

tsquared

That looks awesome, Bobbert! I haven't done brisket in a long time--but I'll have to get on it!
T2

deb415611

Nice Bobbert.  I was going to do brisket this weekend but there were none at the store.....

Tenpoint5

Nice looking brisket there Bobbert!! Although I don't know how I helped, I have NEVER done a Brisket!! Still a Brisket Virgin here waiting for my brother to come back from overseas then I will give one a try.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Bobbert

You helped me with some basic questions early on and read your post, maybe it is time you try a few briskets!!
Smokem if ya Gottem!!

seemore

Tenpoint5

Quote from: seemore on June 28, 2009, 08:46:15 PM
10.5   cook ..?
seemore

I see you finally made it back to the real world Seemore. After 2 weeks of camping.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

seemore

Caneyscud

Ain't much in this world better'n a brisket and that one looks really good.  Congrats!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

cdoherty

Sounds great.  I am a bit new at this so pardon my inexperience. I know this will sound like a stupid question, but in many of the recipes I see the term FTC. Can you tell me what that stands for?

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum cdoherty!

You can find the answer to that and other questions here:

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=748#post748
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

Welcome to the forum cdoherty!  No stupid questions once asked - stupid questions are questions that are never asked!  Good question!
FLBR has you pointed in the right direction.  

Meat starts to "cook" at about 140 - lets describe "cook" as major changes to the meat fibers.  At approximately 160 deg, the collagens (A protein that constitutes the greatest part of the connective "tissue" that hold the meat fibers together - collectively they make meat "tough") start to dissolve or melt.  At 195 deg collagens are generally melted thoroughly - making meat - fall-apart  However, in a mass of meat, not all collagen will have melted at the same time or by the time your thermometer measures a temperature of 195. In actually by the time the meat reaches 195 only some or possibly all of the collagen could have dissolved - you don't really know until you try to cut or pull it - cooking may have been uneven, could have been more collagen in some parts than others, etc..  Combine this with some smokers not wanting to get their meat to 195 for fear of drying out or overcooking - so they pull their meat from the heat before 195.  FTC conserves heat within the meat mass.  By prompt FTC, you allow the meat to continue in the 160 to 195 range for a longer time (and that is generally a great thing and what low and slow is ALL about), without the addition of additional heat.  The thinking behind FTC is the preservation of the heat, not adding additional heat that could dry out or overcook the meat, and sealing in the meat to prevent moisture loss.  FWIW it seems to work, however having said that, you won't see too many top rated bbq joints FTC'ing.  Why?  (shrugging my shoulders) Maybe FTC is not how they were taught, maybe they don't see a need since they produce great bbq without it (after much practice), maybe because they think it takes away some flavor and lessens the bark, knowing they can do essentially the same thing by mopping and reducing the smoker temperature when the IT approaches their determination of "done", or maybe other reasons.  Generally I C (just throw the meat into an igloo cooler) to keep the meat warm if they finish early.  What is one of my favorite parts of barbecuing? - savoring a cupful of those heavenly juices that collect in the bottom of the cooler.  The Lord could take me right then!

(sheepishly) This MAY be more than you wanted to know, but they don't call me Pontificator for nuttin!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on June 28, 2009, 03:44:07 PM
Nice looking brisket there Bobbert!! Although I don't know how I helped, I have NEVER done a Brisket!! Still a Brisket Virgin here waiting for my brother to come back from overseas then I will give one a try.

I am a brisket virgin too but about to change that and take that ONE GIANT STEP FOR MANKIND.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.