1st Pork Butt

Started by HawkeyeSmokes, June 29, 2009, 10:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HawkeyeSmokes

Hi all,

Just got done with my first butt this morning. It got done earlier than expected so decided to have pulled pork for breakfast. Smoked it at 220 for 4 hours using hickory and apple pucks. Then boated it and into the kitchen oven at 210 at 9 last night. When I checked it this morning at 6, I had overshot the internal temp, it was up to 202. But it all turned out great. Falling apart tender and very moist. Pulled it and served with coleslaw and some of the Mustard Vinegar Sauce form the recipe that Mr Walleye had posted. That sauce is a real keeper.

Rubbed and bringing up to room temp.

In the smoker.

After 4 hours of smoke.

Out of the oven with a temp of 203.

Pulled and ready to serve.

Breakfast is ready.  ;D

Thanks for all the help on this forum.
HawkeyeSmokes

justpete

That's a fine looking breakfast.
Congrats on your first butt.

Peter

Margareeman

looks great, congrats!

Mr Walleye

The breakfast of champions, Hawkeye!

Congrats!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

mikecorn.1

What kind of rub did you use on it? Looks mighty good. Wow.
Mike

Smokin Soon

Really hard to think about a normal boring breakfast when your kitchen smells like a perfectly done butt! Glad your first one is a winner......Whats next?

KyNola

Nice going Hawkeye!

That 203 IT didn't hurt a thing as you certainly figured out after the first bite.  Congrats on your first butt.  Looks really good.

KyNola

seemore

damm that looks good send some my way
seemore

HawkeyeSmokes

Hi all, Thanks for the comments and all the posts. It's because of those is why the butt turned out so good.

And Mike aka Mr Walleye, thanks for the recipe for the Mustard Vinegar Sauce. It is the BOMB!! Hope you don't mind me showing the link to it. http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8363.0

Mikecorn.1, I'm sorry I don't have a recipe for the rub. What I did was rub it with CYM, then salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin powder, cayenne pepper and paprika to taste.

SS, you are right. Eggs for breakfast will never be the same. Brisket will be next if I can find a good one here in WI. We are the land of cheese, brats, beer. Not so much brisket.  >:(

Thanks Ky, your right. The 203 IT didn't hurt a thing. Sure did pull easy. Even the blade bone fell apart.  :D

Seemore, send your addie and I will get some dry ice and send it on it's way. Might have to make some more sauce to go with it though.  ;D By the way, enjoy the pics of your Dobie.

Thanks again to every one on this site. Best forum I have ever seen.

HawkeyeSmokes

easyridinole

Hello HawkeyeSmokes! Welcome to the forum, that butt looks awesome! I am also from Wisconsin, west central, and I either get my briskets from the local butcher, Wal-Mart or Sam's club. The last time I was at Wal-Mart they didn't have any the size I wanted though. What part of the state are you from?

Ole
Most people hate the taste of beer - to begin with. It is, however, a prejudice that many people have been able to overcome.     -WINSTON CHURCHILL-

HawkeyeSmokes

Good morning Ole, I live near Eau Claire so I'm guessing might not be to far from you. Might have to check out Sam's Club. Haven't seen a brisket I liked at Wally-Mart. But if I don't find one, I can always get some spares out of the freezer. Stocked up the last good sale.   :D
HawkeyeSmokes

easyridinole

Yeah, you're not far at all, probably only about an hour away. I live in the Baldwin, Woodville area if you know where that is. Straight west on I-94 from Eau Claire and you will about run me over! :D If you ever get up by Barron there is a meat distributer that a friend hooked me up with and he has about everything you could possibly want and the prices are really good also. The name is Frisinger Distributing, Inc. If you want more info on this I can give it to you. Have a good day!

Ole
Most people hate the taste of beer - to begin with. It is, however, a prejudice that many people have been able to overcome.     -WINSTON CHURCHILL-

NePaSmoKer

Thats what i'm wanting for lunch  ;D Great job.

nepas

Caneyscud

Now that is what I am talking about!!!  Yummy

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

mikecorn.1

Newbie here, got a question. After the 4 hours of smoke in the Bradley, when its going in the over, do you cover it for the remainder of the time until it gets to the i.t. temp or do you leave it uncovered. and can you put anything else in the bottom of the pan you have it in. thanks. sorry for the dumb question.  ???
Mike