1st Pork Butt

Started by HawkeyeSmokes, June 29, 2009, 10:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HawkeyeSmokes

Hey Mike, there are no dumb questions.

I boated mine (foil pan with a splash of apple juice maybe a 1/3 Cup) then covered with foil. Cooked over night in the oven. The IT temp was 203 when I got up and checked it. Worried about that as it was a bit higher than I wanted. But I did the FTC to the butt for about 2 hours then started pulling it. It was awesome. Guess every one is right, the pork butt is a bit forgiving.

Keep posting, asking and lots of pics.
HawkeyeSmokes

mikecorn.1

thnks for the quick response, being a newbie, i didnt know if replying to an old post, i would get and answer so i posted the same question in the pork forum. i guess i will see what others will say. thanks again. i will post pics of it.
Mike

HawkeyeSmokes

No problem Mike. I'm a newbie to and just try to help like every else here. Look forward to those pics.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

FLBentRider

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on July 08, 2009, 06:21:24 PM
Newbie here, got a question. After the 4 hours of smoke in the Bradley, when its going in the over, do you cover it for the remainder of the time until it gets to the i.t. temp or do you leave it uncovered. and can you put anything else in the bottom of the pan you have it in. thanks. sorry for the dumb question.  ???

No dumb questions here!

I either:

1. Wrap in foil and put on a sheet pan.
or
2. Put them in a roasting pan and cover with foil.

some put in a splash of something, apple juice, JD, etc.. I don't, and I have not had a dry butt yet.

The foil wrap is to keep some of the moisture in.

As the collegan breaks down to gelatin, usually in the (IT) 162F to 180F range, water will be released. This water evaporation has a cooling effect, which is why the IT will seem to "stall" for hours sometimes.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!