Bradley Smoked Wild Alaskan Salmon

Started by Kummok, February 01, 2004, 02:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimguy

Chez Bubba

Jim,

He's referring to my probable impending post but I'll let it slide cause I've got orders to pack & a vacation to prepare for.

FWIW, there are too many fun words in your post to keep me from responding in my usual smart-ass manor normally.

Hope all of you have fun smokin' while the biggest decision of the day for me is gonna be whether I take a nap on the deck or play some pool.

See ya in a couple of weeks! ;) ;D ;D ;D

Kirk
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

TomG

A couple of months ago Iceman's use of that Alaskan term for salmon jerky launched one of the most vitriolic and personally directed attacks ever threaded on this forum.

jimguy

I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I would imagine iceman explained that squaw candy is an accepted term in Alaska regarding hard  smoked fish

asa

Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

jimguy

in an attempt to ward off serious problems , I found this discreption of smoked salmon on the internet

Actually, we had a hard time finding anyone on this side of the Atlantic who did not affirm that lox is smoked. Then we came across James McNair's Salmon Cookbook, in which the author says that lox is the most popular preserved salmon, that it is generally Pacific species that is cured in brine, soaked to remove the salt, then "sometimes still lightly smoked after soaking it, as it always was in the past."

McNair, who has also written three or four thousand other cookbooks, defines a few other traditional salmon-preserving techniques:

Kippered Salmon — hot-smoked, or baked during smoking. It is moist, tender, and flaky, not salty. "Nonfish eaters like it," McNair says. 
Nova Scotia — cold-smoked salmon from the waters off eastern Canada, expensive, and creamy with very little saltiness. But, he says, the term "Nova" is often loosely applied to any smoked salmon, no matter where it comes from. 
Scottish, Irish, and Norwegian — cold-smoked Atlantic salmon; superb quality and expensive; dry and delicate; not salty. 
Indian Style — two variations of Pacific salmon slow-smoked by native Americans from the Pacific Northwest to Alaska. One is moist and very smoky; the other, often called "squaw candy," is smoked and smoked and smoked until it has the texture of beef jerky. 

Now, this is not to be confused with gravlax or gravad lax, which is a traditional Scandinavian method of curing salmon with salt, a little sugar, and dill for three or four days — and no smoke at all.

Kummok

Quote from: jimguy on August 04, 2006, 09:03:47 PM
in an attempt to ward off serious problems.....I'm sorry if I offended anyone....

Hey Jimguy....fagittaboudit.....I musta missed that thread but I know too well that it's impossible to NOT offend some folks. ::) In fact the quoted source, McNair would likely offend Alaskan Natives by calling them "Indian" ("Indian Style") ;)  Guess I missed out on the "the most vitriolic and personally directed attacks ever threaded on this forum"....just as well since I'd probably have just instigated more political incorrectness, being part Native American and all...and thinking highly of Iceman  ;) ;D  As you've said, and know well, being from Healy, it's been squaw candy forever and will be that way up here for many more generations I'm certain. Can you imagine going into Port Graham and asking for some "Pacific salmon slow-smoked by native Americans from the Pacific Northwest to Alaska" instead of squaw candy?!?!? They'd run ya outta the village. Actually, I wouldn't ask for it anyway, cause it's nasty tasting to me....the authentic "squaw candy" that I've known since 1959 is dried, not smoked, nothing added, and really yucky.

Habanero Smoker

Kummok;
You may wake the sleeping giant. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

I'm biting my tongue on this one guys. ::) ;D
Geez how about that weather were having? :D ;)

jimguy

which weather Iceman? the day it is warm and sunny  8)  or the next that is cold and raining  :'( ?? 

I tried your rub and sauce on some country style pork. Love the flavors!! I have to admit I am a wuss around hot spicy things so seeing your sauce contained hanenaro, I was skeptical but it had just the right amout for my tender palate.

I won't brag about how the meat turned out other than to say it was very tasty.

iceman

Quote from: jimguy on August 15, 2006, 10:47:18 AM
which weather Iceman? the day it is warm and sunny  8)  or the next that is cold and raining  :'( ?? 

I tried your rub and sauce on some country style pork. Love the flavors!! I have to admit I am a wuss around hot spicy things so seeing your sauce contained hanenaro, I was skeptical but it had just the right amout for my tender palate.

I won't brag about how the meat turned out other than to say it was very tasty.
Glad to hear you approve jimguy. There is very little habenaro in the sauce. Just enough to make the taste buds say "wait a minute, what was that"? ;D

meathead

Hi, incase anyone is interested..

As we speak, I'm Brining a batch of Silvers we caught in Sitka and will air dry tommorrow, then smoke with Alder the next day.  I guess with the Alaskan Fish and Recipie, it should be almost authentic  :)

If anyone wants to know I'll let you know how they turn out.

Getting excited. :P ;D

MH
Git r Dun...

iceman

Quote from: meathead on December 09, 2006, 04:46:29 PM
Hi, incase anyone is interested..

As we speak, I'm Brining a batch of Silvers we caught in Sitka and will air dry tommorrow, then smoke with Alder the next day.  I guess with the Alaskan Fish and Recipie, it should be almost authentic  :)

If anyone wants to know I'll let you know how they turn out.

Getting excited. :P ;D

MH

Yer dang right you better keep us posted ;D Inquiring minds (and others) need to know.

meathead

Howdy

Any pointers on how to freeze Kumook Slamon? Note I dont have a Vac Sealer (yet), so will use Zip Locks, and gently squeeze most of the air out.

But can I put a few in each bag with Wax paper inbetween, or other methods??
And, do I let it cool before going into freezer, or not?

Thanks a lot!!
Git r Dun...

Habanero Smoker

I would wrap in plastic wrap first then into the zip lock. If you are storing more then 30 days, I would add a layer of aluminum foil over the plastic wrap before placing in it the freezer.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)