Bradley Smoked Wild Alaskan Salmon

Started by Kummok, February 01, 2004, 02:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJC

Kummock,

I've been doing your recipe this season, and it's getting rave reviews all around!  I upped the cayenne pepper somewhat so that folks get that sweet taste initially and then the heat as part of the "afterglow".  It's dynamite!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Kummok

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br />.....I upped the cayenne pepper somewhat so that folks get that sweet taste initially and then the heat as part of the "afterglow".  It's dynamite!.....
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Truly a man after my own heart, John[:p]  I also use a bit more cayenne than I posted in the recipe. This year, I'd like to try grinding the salmon and mixing it with course ground black pepper and chopped jalapenos to make some hot salmon jerkey sticks...[:p][}:)][:p]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

KosherSmokin

Here's my results for the salmon.
To recap:
    1 14lb salmon in Kummok's magic brine
and 1 14lb salmon in Fuzzybear II.

Both turned out great!
I found Kummok's to be much more balanced in flavor and not as salty.
I ended up brining with Kummok's for 14 hours and Fuzzybear's for 4 hours.
In my previous post I calculated the salt content in ORIGINAL RECIPE for each.  I didn't change the recipe.
For Kummok's the salt calculated to about 80g/quart
For Fuzzybear's it calculated to 120g/quart (my standard brine concentration).
So, even though I brined for that much longer, Kummok's still wasn't as salty as Fuzzybear's.
I like Kummok's brine a whole lot.  The fish turned out fantastic!

A few observations:
I cut my pieces bigger than Kummok suggested.
I ended up smoking the fish for the minimum called for in the recipe.
1 hr @ 120
1 hr @ 140
1 hr @ 160
1 hr @ 180
very easily done with my magic thermostat.
The fish turned out nearly raw in the center.  Bailed to oven to finish to perfection.
Conclusions:  
Either I need to smoke longer at a minimum.
OR My thermometers weren't giving accurate readings.
AND Remember to cut my pieces smaller.
I think the next time I'll also make a point to brine and dry it well because that flavor was just awesome!  I'm just getting more and more impressed with this smoker.

PS "Chicken Italiano" is melt-in-your-mouth perfection!  I made 3 whole chickens that way and got a luscious thick smoky gravy when reheated to serve.  The gelatin in the bones help to make the gravy.

Sam

Kummok

Your conclusions are right on the money, Sam!.....some of the pieces look like they could be 1.5 - 2 inches thick. That's not necessarily a problem for experienced smokers but the recipe is for no more than 3/8 - 1/2 inch pieces, hence the times/temps given. Glad things turned out "fantastic"!![:p][:p]

BTW, the white stuff hanging down from the meat is actually nuclear waste, a common by-product of farmed salmon....[:D][;)][}:)] Just some Alaskan "humor" of course, but seriously I think that the white boogers will lessen quite a bit with the smaller, drier pieces you plan to use next time.

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

manxman

Quotethe white stuff hanging down from the meat is actually nuclear waste, a common by-product of farmed salmon

Unfortunately I only have access to farmed salmon but even that differs considerably. Recently did around 25lb farmed salmon based on Kummock's recipe apart from using a rum and honey based marinade, got the salmon from two different sources and the difference in texture was remarkable between the two. One was particularly soggy and this produced much more "nuclear waste" so I know for next time where to get my supplies from! Only wish I had access to wild salmon. >:(

Every time I smoke salmon I always end up with the odd fillet breaking/flaking when removing them from the trays. I did the following recipe which was designed to make use of these odd bits:

approx. 8oz smoked salmon flakes.
approx. 8 oz mushrooms, chopped.
1lb fresh tagliatelle.
3 - 4 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped.
9 - 10 fl. oz creme fraiche.
juice of 1 lemon.

Heat a tbsp olive oil in pan and add the mushrooms and cook until they begin to brown. Stir in salmon, parsley, creme fraiche and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper as required.
Simultaneously cook the pasta in boiling water for 3 minutes then drain, add to above and toss/mix gently.
Serve with your choice of salad.

It makes a really quick and easy meal,my two young boys asked for this two nights running for their evening meal, now that must be a recommendation!! ;)
Manxman

Jezziebella

Hi guys,
   Been dying for some smoked salmon but with our N.Ca fishing restrictions this summer my usual source has dried up.  I've yet to do it in the Bradley, have a Brinkman but was always frustrated with temp control. (There really is none).  Never knew what  the "white boogers" were on top.  Thanks for the info. 
   Maybe this is sacreligious or something but in a pinch, instead of mixing up my own brew, I used Yoshida's gourmet sauce to marinate.  The giant economy bottles are available at Costco.  No muss, no fuss.   :-*

Kummok

Quote from: Jezziebella on June 12, 2006, 09:54:43 AM
....Maybe this is sacreligious or something but in a pinch, instead of mixing up my own brew, I used Yoshida's gourmet sauce to marinate.  The giant economy bottles are available at Costco.  No muss, no fuss.   :-*

Nothing "sacreligious" about trying ANYTHING when smoking Jezz!! I buy large quantities of Yoshida's OGS and grill King Salmon/Halibut with it weekly, using the Reveo marinator, but it seems a bit spendy for brining?!?!?

Dougsts

Kummok

I tried a batch of salmon using your recipe, just a slight modification using about a quarter of the soy sauce.  the salmon came out great!!  thanks for sharing the recipe.  I havent smoked fish or meat for over 25 years or so, just getting back into it. Thanks again

jimguy

When we first started smoking salmon years ago, my wife and I took a one day class offered by the Univ. of Alaska Fairbanks Co operative Extension Service that explained many of the questions I have read in this tread such as to dry or not, nuclear waste,,,.

The basis for that class is available in an article online at
http://www.uaf.edu/coop-ext/publications/freepubs/FNH-00325.pdf

After trips to Chitna, Valdez, Homer, Kenai, with our neighborhood group the wives would get together, gather all the Little Chief smokers to be found, and have a smoke out. This is pre Bradley Smoker days. It may sound sexist but at that time the guys all worked long hours and many straight days so were not around to do the smoking.

I am hoping to go to Valdez in a couple weeks and catch some silvers and try them in the BS.

Chez Bubba

Quote from: jimguy on August 02, 2006, 12:13:33 PM
I am hoping to go to Valdez in a couple weeks and catch some silvers and try them in the BS.
Jim,

Just remember to eliminate the oil in the marinade as they might have been pre-dipped! ;) ;) ;D

Kirk
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

jimguy

Naww,   the otters have skimmed the oil off the water in the fishing areas

asa

Quote from: jimguy on August 02, 2006, 12:13:33 PM
The basis for that class is available in an article online at
http://www.uaf.edu/coop-ext/publications/freepubs/FNH-00325.pdf

jimguy -

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the reference.

Art
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

jimguy

Thanks for the welcome, Art   :)

jimguy

Just a little note about smoked alaksa salmon. Today I visited a friend who smoked some silver salmon his renter caught and cured using a dry coating instead of brine.
No. 1   it was cut too small,  half inch strips
No. 2   it was soo salty we had to go to the nearest bar where we could get beer on tap to flush
No. 3   they smoked it too long, leaving it very dry. what alaskan's call squaw candy, more like jerky.     great if you are selling the beer

sigh,   southeners

TomG

Quote from: jimguy on August 04, 2006, 06:34:23 PM
No. 3   they smoked it too long, leaving it very dry. what alaskan's call squaw candy, more like jerky.   

Don't go there Jimmy ;D ;D ;D