Bradley Smoked Wild Alaskan Salmon

Started by Kummok, February 01, 2004, 02:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

Good Afternoon Kummok,
I believe I've said this before, but Tsquared, and yourself and the rest of the forum members who live along the west coast, reside in  what I consider to be God's country, and to think you didn't even mention the hunting opportunities. I think I'll take you up on that offer if you don't mind.[:D]

Ian ( GO STEELERS!!!!! )

JJC

I'm making up a list of the Forum members to visit on next few vacations . . . let's see, Florida, Arkansas, California, Alaska, Canada--hey, how'bout Texas?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

LeBois

Hello fellow Bradley Smoker users,

This seems like a great forum and I can't wait to try out Kummok's recipe. I was mixing up the brine tonight, but when it came to adding in the cayenne pepper and the garlic powder I paused to do a double take.

I'm definitely a novice at salmon smoking but have smoked up a few batches with a different brand smoker(you know the one). I've graduated up to the Bradley now.

But my question is on the amounts of cayenne and garlic powder used. Does the recipe call for 3 TABLEspoons of cayenne and 2 TABLEspoons of garlic powder? This seems like a lot and perhaps it's supposed to be TEAspoons?

Judging by the responses and the additional recipes some have posted here I'm guessing it is supposed to be tablespoons just as Kummok originally posted. Maybe thats why mine always tasted so-so and seemed to lack punch.

Anyways, if someone could please tell me that I indeed want to use 3 tablespoons of cayenne, and not teaspoons, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks again for this great forum and good smoking information.
LeBois

birdboy

3 Tablespoons, tried it a couple weeks ago and it was fantastic, not spicy.

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by LeBois</i>
<br />Hello fellow Bradley Smoker users,

This seems like a great forum and I can't wait to try out Kummok's recipe. I was mixing up the brine tonight, but when it came to adding in the cayenne pepper and the garlic powder I paused to do a double take.

I'm definitely a novice at salmon smoking but have smoked up a few batches with a different brand smoker(you know the one). I've graduated up to the Bradley now.

But my question is on the amounts of cayenne and garlic powder used. Does the recipe call for 3 TABLEspoons of cayenne and 2 TABLEspoons of garlic powder? This seems like a lot and perhaps it's supposed to be TEAspoons?

Judging by the responses and the additional recipes some have posted here I'm guessing it is supposed to be tablespoons just as Kummok originally posted. Maybe thats why mine always tasted so-so and seemed to lack punch.

Anyways, if someone could please tell me that I indeed want to use 3 tablespoons of cayenne, and not teaspoons, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks again for this great forum and good smoking information.
LeBois
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Welcome to the Forum, LeBois!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Habanero Smoker

LeBois;
I just did 9 pounds of smoked salmon (farm raise; I had not other choice) using kummok's recipe, it turned out great. It is definitely tablespoons. I like more of a "kick" so I may up the cayenne pepper next time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

LeBois

Wow!

My first post late last night and off to work today. I get home from work, log on, and just the answers I needed! Thanks bird, JJC, Habanero, and Oldman....for the information and the warm welcome.(and Kummok for the recipe)

As I mentioned earlier the brine was mixed last night except for the cayenne and garlic. It's been "chillin" since then and now for the last two ingredients and fish. This is going to be fun. I feel that with the Bradley smoker I am much more in control of the whole smoking process. So many factors I can regulate and not leave up to chance; cooking temperature, wind/drafts, cleaner smoke, etc.

Well, off to finish this batch up and watch some games at the same time. Bet you didn't know you could catch salmon in Idaho!
thanks,
Lebois

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by LeBois</i>
My first post late last night and off to work today. I get home from work, log on, and just the answers I needed! Thanks bird, JJC, Habanero, and Oldman....for the information and the warm welcome.(and Kummok for the recipe)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Welcome to the forum.  Just wanted to correct one line from your post though
Thanks bird, JJC, Habanero, and <font color="red">Old Man</font id="red">....J/K Olds[:D][}:)][;)]

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigSmoker</i>
<br /><font color="red">Old Man</font id="red"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">He ain't THAT old![;)][:D][:)]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

LeBois

The salmon is done and it turned out...Excellent!

This was about a 12lb. batch. Was in the smoker for 5 hours on the button at the graduating temperature settings per recipe instructions. Smoked the whole time with alternating apple/alder. Never had a salmon so great tasting with such a beautiful color and texture.

Vacuum sealed half and the other half is almost gone. Family loved it! Now its time to experiment with different wood flavors and maybe my first attempt at cold smoked salmon or even lox. Lots of recipes on this forum, not enough salmon or time. Must make time.
cheers,thanks,
Lebois

jaeger

I just picked up some farm raised salmon tonight. This is as close as we get here in South Dakota this time of year to "the King Salmon".
The last time I smoked salmon I used High Mountain salmon brine. This taste good but I was not to impressed. This time I'm am using Kummocks recipe. I will post results and will try to get some pictures tomorrow.

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

psdubl07

Jaeger, I see happiness in your future. [8D]

I have used Kummok's recipe about a dozen times, and unless you crank the heat or something to hurry it along, you pretty much can't screw it up.  
Be sure to leave ample time for the fish to air out and form a pellicle.

jaeger

The salmon is looking good. I have been trying to keep the temps according to recipe. One thing though, this is a little different type of salmon this time, it looks a little more pale in color. Not as pink. Last time the brine included a cure. I'm sure both factors are coming into play.

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

psdubl07

The last batch I did was some Alaskan King that was given to me.  It was foodsavered and frozen but they had all lost their seal.  The fish wasn't freezer burned, but it did turn the color kinda funky, pale like you mentioned. (Although yours might be because of being farm-raised [;)])
Anyway, the bottom line is, it tasted great, and I'm sure yours will too.
BTW, I used a combo of Alder and Oak for the 1st time.  Delicious! [:p]