Bradley Smoked Wild Alaskan Salmon

Started by Kummok, February 01, 2004, 02:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaka

Thanks for the replies I'll be making fresh for the next batch of Coho

JF7FSU

When making the Kummok Salmon does the first stage at 120 need to be using a cold smoke setup?  I would think so.  Also can I continue the cold smoke setup for the rest of the time?  Also its not clear is the wood applied at all stages or just the beginning?  Thanks!
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

Kummok

I've been making it for years w/o a cold smoker, but  that's just me. I also smoke the entire period...usually 10-11 pucks...but again, that's just me......you're going to arrive at your own method that works best for your taste after a few batches.

JF7FSU

I live in Florida and its about 92-96 F right now.  I was under the assumption that even at the lowest setting the temp would go over 120.  I have the Auber PID and a cold smoke setup.  Maybe I could cold smoke stage one, and then reattach the generator for stage 2 & 3? Or with the PID maybe I could use the cold smoke setup and it would be ok.  I guess i'm not sure about the 120 first stage here in Florida.  Between the smoke generator and cabinet element I think I wont be able to keep it at a low 120?  Any suggestions or am I just totally wrong?  Thanks!

Jeff

Mr Walleye

Jeff

There is no reason you can't use your cold smoke setup for the entire process in conjunction with your PID, especially with your high ambient temps. I have my Bradley setup in a permanent cold smoke setup that I built into my garage so I run mine this way all the time.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Kummok

I think I'm spoiled here, Jeff....all of my smoking takes place in the 50°s or below. Great for smoking but sucks for water skiing!  ;)

JF7FSU

Funny, most people try to escape the cold and come to Florida, I need a vacation from the heat!  Kummok, I am jealous.   

Anyway, I decided I will go with the cold smoke setup and try my first Kummok Salmon.  I bought two wild sockeye filets (about 3lbs) and will give it a shot.

Kummok

Smoke on, Jeff! Looking forward to your results report!!

JF7FSU

OK here is stage 1  "The drying"  I sprinkled a little parsley and cayenne on top.  Hopefully the pellicle will form in a few hours with the help of a fan.  I will smoke later tonight.

JF7FSU

OK, I wasn't real happy with my batch of Salmon.  I thought it was too salty and overcooked.  I may have cooked too long for the size but I'm not sure.  I did have some boogers but not a whole lot.  I think it came out more like jerky than Kummok Salmon.  A few notes I took maybe you guys can suggest some stuff for improvement.

I brined in soy sauce not teriyaki. 
I did not rinse after the brine.
I used costco filets and maybe they were too small for the amount of cooking time i did.
I cut up two filets and they were like 1.5 lbs each. I am wondering if I should have cut the cook times in half I used 1.3 @120, 2.3 @132 and .5 at 175.

My thinking is rinse after brine, and cut time down.  Since I am in FL I can't catch my own salmon and gotta get it at the store.

Kummok

Based upon your report, I'd try:

1. All teriyaki - no soy
2. Rinsing never seems to be an issue with me (I don't) but it can't hurt.
3. Fish size looks okay to me...mine is even smaller.
4. Try 120° for 2 hrs, 1 hour @ 140°, and .5 hour @ 165°

(Did you use ice in the brine?)

Most importantly, if you have a vac sealer, vac seal what's left and freeze for a day or two then try taste test again....I always find that it mellows when vac sealed and frozen. If you don't have a vac sealer, just stuff it in a Ziplock bag, suck the air out before zipping closed...actually works fairly well for short term freezing.

I also had a pretty good/moist batch when I mistakenly let my wife help and she accidently doubled the brown sugar in the brine!!

Tenpoint5

I had the same thought when I tried my first pieces of Salmon done this way that it was too salty. After a couple of days in a vac seal things mellowed out and Everything is great.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

JF7FSU

Quote from: Kummok on August 14, 2009, 10:34:22 PM
Based upon your report, I'd try:

1. All teriyaki - no soy
2. Rinsing never seems to be an issue with me (I don't) but it can't hurt.
3. Fish size looks okay to me...mine is even smaller.
4. Try 120° for 2 hrs, 1 hour @ 140°, and .5 hour @ 165°

(Did you use ice in the brine?)

Most importantly, if you have a vac sealer, vac seal what's left and freeze for a day or two then try taste test again....I always find that it mellows when vac sealed and frozen. If you don't have a vac sealer, just stuff it in a Ziplock bag, suck the air out before zipping closed...actually works fairly well for short term freezing.

I also had a pretty good/moist batch when I mistakenly let my wife help and she accidently doubled the brown sugar in the brine!!

Thanks for the response Kummok.

I brined it in the fridge after pre chilling the brine. I did cut the recipe by 1/4 for everything since I had a small batch (?).  I sealed a small portion for the freezer, and the rest is in the fridge.  I will throw the rest in the freezer right now and see what happens.

mcalpin1

I was wondering what type of smoker you had, but after futher review, you've doubled the racks for a 4 rack smoker.   My 4 rack smoker broke and I was able to keep the racks.  I now have a six rack digital smoker.   BTY, I used your recipe on Pinks and it worked fine without an heating element. 

Off to buy some salmon... Pinks $0.10 lb, Coho $0.75 lb, Kings $1.55   I can get is cheaper if I do some work.. :) 

This is what the buyer is paying the local tribes for gill net fish.

Mr Walleye

Wow!  :o  :o  :o

Man... is that cheap mcalpin1!

I could only wish that I could get that kinda price here!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes