Bradley Smoked Wild Alaskan Salmon

Started by Kummok, February 01, 2004, 02:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterkc

well if your still in the Socal area let me know, I would like to get you a beer. Thanks again, I am hooked on the Salmon but that is nothing new. I have always luv'd it. hehe

Just thought I would add the photos.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and loose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln."

Kummok

Left there in 2002...used to waterski year round on Elsinore's green water (heard it's been cleaned up). Would love to take you up on the suds offer if/when I get down there again...I'll bring the smoked King!

waterkc

awesome, Can't wait to have that beer. I have 3lbs going on the marinade right now. Will smoke this weekend.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and loose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln."

kmax

Question do you rinse the fish off after you take it out of the brine?

Kummok

Some do...I don't.   Never seen anything convincing that pushes me in either direction so I follow the path of least resistance and eliminate that unnecessary (for me) step....

albertapoacher

Hi guys/gals,

I am having trouble keeping this new smoker at 140F for the 2-4 hours. If I set the digital temp to 140F it is jumping up to 149F. And when I set it to 130F its dropping down to 119 or so. I have the vent fully opened right now as the coho was done in a wet brine.

Is it safe to assume to just cook it at the lower temperature over a longer period? Then kick it up to 175F to finish?

Mike

KyNola

That's quite common to have those temp swings like that.  Especially when items first go in and are colder than the temp setting.  If it ran up to 149, I'll bet if you left it alone it probably dropped down to around 130 or so.  That's the nature of the BDS's heating element.  It's either on(heating) or off(not heating).   As the salmon gets warmer, you will notice the temp swings lessen.  Once you set the BDS, leave it alone.  Don't try to "chase" the temp you want.  You will drive yourself crazy.

albertapoacher

Thank Kynola,

I was starting to wonder if this was more work than necessary. I will take your advice and enjoy a scotch.  ;)

Mike

KyNola

albertapoacher

Well thanks again Kynola!

The salmon turned out amazing, and once you informed me of the temperature adjusting itself my afternoon was totally relaxed. I believe im really going to enjoy this new digital toy. ;)

Mike

Quarlow

Ok Alberta, now that you are all chummy with your smoker, let me introduce you to the next asset in smoked salmon perfection. I give you the "Auberin's PID Temperature Controller". It will make your life so simple and your salmon and sausage to perfection. If you are not already familliar with them, they will tighten your temp swings to 2 to 3 degrees and do your temp ramps for you. You will never be sorry for getting one of these. And if you do a long smoke like a overnight pork butt or a brisket it will do all the work and you can sleep without worry.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

albertapoacher

That sounds great, I have been up for the better part of 2 days now smoking nonstop, and have another 15 pounds of salmon hitting the smoker at 10pm tonight. Where in Canada do I go to get one of these PID's for my DBS?

Mike

Quarlow

I think you will have to order out of the states. I am not sure there is a CDN distributor for them. But if you google search "Auberin's" you will get the website and you can get their # and phone them. They will ship it real quick. They (from what I have heard) have great customer service like Bradley's. You will get it fast.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

the big guy

Ordered one of the PID controllers myself. Also ordered a set of the puck savers from the same company. Ordered them through ebay under bradley smokers. They were shipped Oct 02 and arrived Oct 29 by mail. I'm not sure what happened but I imagine customs had some inspecting to do because of an electronic timer being sent through the mail. Gonna try it out this weekend.

precookingsmoker

Oh Boy! This sounds like a winner!

I am going to abandon my attempts to simulate the sharp taste of Kodiac Is. smoked salmon using rice vinegar as the base liquid. It was edible....but I would not stand in line to try more.

Your menu is accomplished and verified by others here. That is enough for me.

Thanks a bunch for sharing!  ;D  -Larry