Bradley Smoked Wild Alaskan Salmon

Started by Kummok, February 01, 2004, 02:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kummok

I can personally vouch for this same brine being great for smoking moose but haven't tried it for Dall......

forkliftdriver

Kummok's for dummies....  ;)
1- Cut the brine recipe in half so that it fits in a stock pot. 
2- Obtain 5lbs of boneless/skinless salmon.
3- Cut the salmon into 1.5" strips.
4- Brine for 24 hours in the fridge with a a lid and steamer basket on top to push the salmon down. 
5- Stir it 3 times throughout to mix it all up.
6- Spray your bradley racks with a non-offensive non-stick spray.  I like butter flavor from business Costco.
7- Fill 3 racks with tightly spaced salmon strips that aren't touching.
8- Pre-heat bradley with a full water pan and get smoke going.
9- Put racks in the 2nd through 4th position, without the salmon getting too close to the thermometer.
10- Smoke for 2 hours at 120, then increase 10 degrees every 30 min until 170.
11- Leave at 170 for 1 hour.
12- Set aside a few pieces for yourself.
13- Vacuum pack the rest of the strips and give them to your wife to distribute to her friends and family.

I've been following these instructions for the entire summer, and so far, my marriage is going quite well.

CHEERS,

jack

Quarlow

Wait till the fall when you run out of fish. Then the pusher man will be in trouble,uh huh. You get them all addicted and then cut them off, you will see how fast the marriage goes south.  ;D ;D >:(
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Toolguy

Caught this 40 lb Tyee (Chinook) yesterday in Barkley Sound.  Into the brine this morning and then it's smoker time for this unit!!!  Going to use a variation of this recipe.

what do you mean, "my birth certificate's expired"??!!

winestein

Quote from: forkliftdriver on August 13, 2011, 11:20:55 PM
Kummok's for dummies....  ;)
1- Cut the brine recipe in half so that it fits in a stock pot. 
2- Obtain 5lbs of boneless/skinless salmon.
3- Cut the salmon into 1.5" strips.
4- Brine for 24 hours in the fridge with a a lid and steamer basket on top to push the salmon down. 
5- Stir it 3 times throughout to mix it all up.
6- Spray your bradley racks with a non-offensive non-stick spray.  I like butter flavor from business Costco.
7- Fill 3 racks with tightly spaced salmon strips that aren't touching.
8- Pre-heat bradley with a full water pan and get smoke going.
9- Put racks in the 2nd through 4th position, without the salmon getting too close to the thermometer.
10- Smoke for 2 hours at 120, then increase 10 degrees every 30 min until 170.
11- Leave at 170 for 1 hour.
12- Set aside a few pieces for yourself.
13- Vacuum pack the rest of the strips and give them to your wife to distribute to her friends and family.

I've been following these instructions for the entire summer, and so far, my marriage is going quite well.

CHEERS,

jack

Well Done!!

Kummok

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

tomk

Hello

I will love to try your recipe kummok, my only problem is that i am from Norway and we have a bit other measures here.
So if you have the time i would be very thankful if you can clear a couple of things for me.

how mutch is a quart soy/terriaki in dl ?
2lbs brown sugar is about 1 kilogram ?
Tbsp i guess is a normal table spoon ?

I have a lot of rainbow in the freezer hoping to do some smoking this weekend.

Best Regards
Tom

classicrockgriller

Might be best to goggle an online recipe conversion chart for your area.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Tomk

Welcome to the forum.

There is a nice converter on the Recipe Site. Just click on the below link. On the top of the page you will see a menu bar. Click on "Conversions Tools"; a drop down list will appear. The measurement you want to convert is "Volume". Make sure you select the correct U.S. ingredient (liquid or dry) measurement.

Recipe Site

If you have rainbow trout, you may be interested in the following recipe:
Smoked Trout

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

devo

tomk

Thanks for the converter info.

Is still abit worried about doing this right.

The recipe says 2 lbs of brown sugar and 1 quart of soy/terriaki it sounds very mutch to me

Just to clear this so everybody can understand 1 quart of soysause is similar to around 3 full coca cola cans ?
2 lbs brown sugar is about the same amount as the soy sause ?

Thanks again

Tom

devo

1 quart [US, liquid] = 0.946 litre
1 Imperial quart = 1.14 litres

2lbs of brown sugar would be about 4 cups

I know it sounds like a lot but its not. I guess if you only have a small amount of fish to do you could cut all ingredients down.

Smokeville

2lbs of sugar is just about 900 grams.

tomk

Thank you all

Will try this in the weekend