Bradley Smoked Wild Alaskan Salmon

Started by Kummok, February 01, 2004, 02:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

Quote from: tomk on September 29, 2011, 06:40:38 AM
Thank you all

Will try this in the weekend

Let us all know how it turns out.

Take photos and post them! Otherwise it never happened!

tomk

sorry for the late reply, but my heating element shut down after 10 min last weekend, and this is only the third time of use.
So to save the fish i had to cook it in my oven instead, that went ok and it tasted ok.

This weekend  with a new element from my dealer it worked out great.
i curred it for about 14 hours and dried them in my fridge for about 15 hours.
Followed the smoking time in the description and it turned out really nice.
We had 12 guests for dinner, and everybody loved it.

So Kummok thanks for this nice recipe :-) :-)

Best regards
Tom

Akmoose

My first go with the new 6-rack Bradley smoker. I used Kummok's method for smoking some reds with great success! 25f temps outside, thicker pieces and longer smoke/time, but am really impressed with the outcome. Will go with thinner pieces next time, but other than that I wouldn't change a thing!

Thanks much... I'm hooked!   :)
"Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com

www.pbase.com/tull777

muebe

Nice!!!! Great color on that fish ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Keymaster

Akmoose

Quote from: muebe on October 18, 2011, 05:02:04 AM
Nice!!!! Great color on that fish ;D

Turned out great and I'm really impressed with the color too!

www.pbase.com/tull777

Akmoose

Quote from: Keymaster on October 18, 2011, 05:25:33 AM
Looks perfect to me!!!

Thanks much, Keymaster! Coming from you pros makes me feel like I really accomplished something.

Good stuff!

www.pbase.com/tull777

Tenpoint5

I sure miss being up in Alaska. Seeing great looking fish like that makes me miss it even more
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Kummok

C'mon up for a visit 10.5...the cabin and the fish are waitin'!

Rubberdown

Might be a stupid question, but can I do store bought salmon and fresh (currently frozen) caught Brook Trout in the same brine and smoke?

This is going to be my first attempt using the digital, or any smoker for that matter, I'm really hoping I dont mess everything up.....

devo

You can use the same brine, just don't use the same brine twice. I have done speckle trout and rainbow trout in the same brine

Kummok

Devo's got you covered...but just something else to think about: If your "store bought" salmon is farmed, be aware that mixing it with your wild trout will cause your trout to glow in the dark..... ;)

La Quinta

I did read recently that those pellets they feed farmed salmon makes the color look like fresh...creepy actually...

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: La Quinta on November 17, 2011, 12:29:05 AM
I did read recently that those pellets they feed farmed salmon makes the color look like fresh...creepy actually...

That is true. They can make the salmon any shade of red they want. Some major distributors like Sam's and Wa-lMart have a patented color that can only be used for the fish sold in their stores.

Kummok has be sounding the alarm for years. It's getting to the point I'm beginning to listen.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Quarlow

So consider this then, you can make the flesh almost any colour you want. I have seen blue and green. It was done by an activist to mock the industry. Kind of funny but disturbing. Glad I don't eat it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.