Bradley Smoked Wild Alaskan Salmon

Started by Kummok, February 01, 2004, 02:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kummok

Two words about the grey stuff under the skin....biohazard, radioactive! Just kidding of course but that stuff is naaaaasty and serves no purpose for eating. The depth of that layer depends upon the size of your salmon and the location of the stuff on your slab but it's easy to see so I cut it ALL out and discard with the skin and bones...a sharp fillet knife does the trick wonderfully.

I'm eating and sharing some Kings right now, down on a little island called Rarotonga...one local wanted to trade me for some smoked tuna but, to me, that's like trading a Bayweld boat for a Hewescraft....both great boats but no comparing the better to the lesser!

Quarlow

Well call me a freak show, but I love that stuff. If it sticks to the skin I peel it of and eat it.  :-\
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Quarlow on February 03, 2014, 06:44:13 PM
Well call me a freak show, but I love that stuff. If it sticks to the skin I peel it of and eat it.  :-\

I may be wrong but last I heard that is where the mercury and other toxins are stored in Salmon
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

tailfeathers

The last batch I did I removed the skin and gray layer prior to brining and I must say it is my best to date. Thanks for the help everyone! Now when I get healed up and can install my new micro switch I will be raring to go!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Quarlow

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on February 04, 2014, 06:22:17 AM
Quote from: Quarlow on February 03, 2014, 06:44:13 PM

I may be wrong but last I heard that is where the mercury and other toxins are stored in Salmon
Ok, so I am never eating that part again. lol
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

iceman

I have enough "grey stuff" between my ears already so I'm like Kummock and cut it out of there prior to smoking.  ;)

jjmoney

A lot of fish have that grey outer fat line and it usually tastes nasty in my experience. I avoid.

Kummok

Soooo, we're calling that void space between our ears "grey stuff" nowadays are we?!?  I'll go with that!!  ;)

TNeyedoc

New to Bradley smoking. 4 rack digital. Long time Egg smoker. Got Bradley to smoke fish and jerky at lower temps. Love the recipe but how do you smoke at 100-120 when control 's lowest is 120 and with smoke unit only, no oven on, the lowest I can get is about 150. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Using Tapatalk

waycoolcat

TNeyedoc check out the "Bradley Cold Smoke Adapter", it lets you move the biscuit burner off to the side into a steel box with 3 feet of hose to cool the smoke before it enters the oven. It only raises the oven temperature about 10 degrees above ambient temperature. Hope this helps.
I want to be a better carnivore!

TNeyedoc

Thanks for advice. Will definitely look into that.
While on the subject of temperature control, what can I do about big temperature swings. I keep reading about an Auber (sp?) PID; can this solve the big temp swings?
Thanks again for your response.
Using Tapatalk

tailfeathers

Yes, an Auber pid will hold your temp within a degree or two of your set point.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tskeeter

Quote from: TNeyedoc on May 12, 2014, 08:29:11 AM
New to Bradley smoking. 4 rack digital. Long time Egg smoker. Got Bradley to smoke fish and jerky at lower temps. Love the recipe but how do you smoke at 100-120 when control 's lowest is 120 and with smoke unit only, no oven on, the lowest I can get is about 150. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Eyedoc, several forum members have also built home made versions of the cold smoke adapter using the variety of receiver boxes to replace the Bradley steel receiver box.  Everything from large mail boxes, to wood boxes, to cardboard boxes.  Steel, of course, would be the most fire resistant.  But, if you keep the heat of the puck burner away from combustible surfaces, apparently even cardboard will work in a pinch. 

TNeyedoc

Thanks to  tailfeathers and tskeeter for responses. Will look into both of these options for modifying my unit.
Using Tapatalk

Smoking Jim

Hi all and thank's to Kummok for posting this recipe,had to harvest some rainbow's from my aquaponic system as the weather is getting a bit warm 34C trout dont like it.So for 12lbs of kippered fish i used the recipe for the first time with a couple of variations,eg 2.5 cups of brown sugar thats all i had. and soy vay veri veri teriyaki all else is the same,
smoked with apple for 6 hrs at the listed temps,wow what a great flavour the best so far.
We have had a very hot summer over here.
Cheers Jim.