Bradley Smoked Wild Alaskan Salmon

Started by Kummok, February 01, 2004, 02:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bou2

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 09, 2017, 01:36:31 AM
For the fish to cook more evenly, rotate your racks; top to bottom, and front to back - meaning turn the racks 180 degrees before placing them back into the smoker.

If the fish fillets are thinner, you may want to cut back on the brining time.

Thanks for the comments...Being a newbie to the smoker, I never really thought about this. I will follow this practice in the future.

The flavor of the finished product was actually much better than I had originally thought...I guess letting the fish chill overnight in the fridge caused the extreme saltiness to dissipate somewhat.

thanks for your comments and advice.....now on to the smoked ribs!

Kummok

Glad to see the Silvers turned out well for you! They are a bit drier salmon so I shorten the pellicle forming time and the smoking time/temp for a more moist texture. I also double the brown sugar, don't rinse after bring and have cut down the time/temp considerably since this recipe was originally posted back in 2004...that will result in the more "candied" product that you expected...

Kummok

Just saw your PM and gave more detailed answer via same...Smoke On!

RBark

How long do you spend forming pellucite? You mention letting it take 12+ hours in winter, but what about if I'm refrigerating it?

Kummok

Sorry for delay, RBark...traveling...
Quote from: RBark on September 24, 2017, 03:26:59 PM
How long do you spend forming pellucite? You mention letting it take 12+ hours in winter, but what about if I'm refrigerating it?

The pellicle forming stage is critical to achieving the finish texture you desire...end it too early and you'll have soft, sticky, more easily crumbled salmon..too late and you'll have what I call 'Pocket Salmon', because you can carry it in your pocket without worrying about crumbling.
I've come to prefer around 6-8 hours with fan blowing on 'Low' setting..that gives me a product that is moist but doesn't fall apart too easily. It's my own personal preference but I no longer pellicle without a fan, so that precludes, for me, doing pellicle forming in the non-ventilating reefer..

Kummok

ThanX to TedEBear, Oldman's quickie summary (w/ a couple old fish photos) of my original post as it appears in the Susan Minor Recipe site is located here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20151004223727/http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?105-Excellent-BRADLEY-Smoked-Alaskan-Salmon

Steelpro

Mr. Kummock,, have you ever smoked black cod and if yes could you please post some info on that,, thanks

Kummok

I haven't but others locally have with great results, using the same brine as in original post. I have tasted it and it is spectacularly tasty

Steelpro

what about the smoking time and temps,, thanks

Kummok

Again, I haven't smoked the black cod but I'd expect to use shorter smoking times than salmon and I'd still go for max 150-5°F-ish...once I smoke some, I'll be able to advise better...I just know that those that do locally, produce an excellent product and tap about it being more oily than salmon....

paulopadrao

Hello. Thank you for your recipe. you have the advantage of having wild salmon, which we hardly have in Portugal. I'll try your recipe. but I would like to propose to the group.
I have had many friends love my smoke salmon.
I clean the boneless fish and cover all the fish with salt pre-mixed with 10% brown sugar (6 pounds + 0.6 of sugar)
leave at room temperature for 3-4 hours. Then put in the refrigerator for another 3-4 hours. if the fish is too high leave a little longer. Then remove all the salt, dry the fish very well and leave 12h in the refrigerator with a weight on top for the fillet to become more uniform and dense.
Then I put in the COLD smoker  with the kind of wood I like. 3-5 hours .I have varied tipes of wood and  all are different but delicious. I have never tested with mesquite.
I have Photos but i cant put in forum
and he is ready to enjoy.
Very tasty and easy.

dwightman

Brand new to forum and new to the Bradley.  I have a couple of questions for those who have done this smoked salmon.
1. Do you recommend smoke the entire time?  If not how long for the smoke?
2. Is vent open or closed on top of the smoker?
3. Water pan full or empty for catching expired wood briquettes?

Thanks in advance, tried to look for answers in the forum and went through the first 16 pages or so.

Habanero Smoker

Hi dwightman;

Welcome to the forum. Kummok generally follows this thread, so you may hear directly from him. This is what I do.

1. Do you recommend smoke the entire time?  If not how long for the smoke?
     I apply smoke for 2 hours during the second stage. That is when you increase the temperature to 140°F.

2. Is vent open or closed on top of the smoker?
     During this recipe I keep the vent wide open. Never use the Bradley with a completely closed vent. Moisture and debris will backup into the generator.

3. Water pan full or empty for catching expired wood briquettes?
         I fill the water pan. That is to help extinguish the bisquettes, and the small amount of drippings that may occur.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

dwightman