Bradley Smoked Wild Alaskan Salmon

Started by Kummok, February 01, 2004, 02:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Thankyou FUZZYBEAR , I just finished smoking some country style pork ribs. I followed the recepe for pork chops that came with the smoker. I used for apple pucks, and kept the heat 200' for almost four hrs. They turned out great, Thanks again Angelo

BrentK

Kummok,

I have King Salmon caught from Lake Michigan that I would like to try.  Why cut the salmon into strips[?][?]  Would a whole filet work jsut as well.[?]

Thanks for the recipe.

BrentK

Angelo,

Don't feel bad about being a "greenhorn" to smoking.  I am too.  The folks on this forum have been very helpful to me.  I asked the same question about the "smoke time" that you did just a day or to ago.  I think you are going to find that the guy's on the BS fourm are more than happy to help.

Have a GREAT day![8D]

Fuzzybear

Hey Brentk...I'll add my comments and then when Kummok reads, he can post his....I cut into strips as a personal thing...easier for me to move around/handle/fit in the brine....can you do a whole side?  Absolutely, but you are limited by the size of the rack.  I also use strips so that the smoke can better circulate around the fish (spaces in between let the smoke through) rather than around a whole side.

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

msiler

I'll throw my $.02 into the ring....

I cut mine up into serving size pieces prior to prepping them for smoke. This allows me to vac-pac for no hassle snacking. I use about 2 oz portions like you would find in a store for purchase.

When in doubt smoke it.

Cold Smoke

Just finished smoking approx 10lbs of salmon this weekend- 2 different versions. One using Kummok's recipe- (added fresh jalapenos) which gave it a nice subtle heat. Turned out really great. The second batch was using a recipe from S&S- instead of sake wine I tossed in a cup of tequila [:D] along with soya, ginger and garlic. That one turned real tasty as well. I had skinless, boneless fillets that I cut into 1 1/2 to 2 inch strips but would recommend cutting these into smaller strips (like Kummok's recipes says to do) like a half inch wide. The reasoning behind this is that you get more glaze/smoke teriyake/soya (whatever you're using) flavor around the thinner pieces and than you would  around larger pieces. Thus resulting in more flavor in every bite.

One tip I would recommend is to ensure you spray your trays/grids with PAM or something so your fish dosn't stick.

Cold Smoke

Fuzzybear

I don't think Pam would like that![:D]

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Curtis Jackson

Smoked my first salmon in the Bradley yesterday. My wife will now adore me until the end of time, or until this batch of salmon runs out, whichever comes first. Many many thanks to Kummok for the recipe. Here's what I actually did:

I had about 9 lbs. of already-scaled very thick king salmon filet pieces (no tail pieces).

I mixed up the following brine in a 5-gallon bucket and put it covered in the fridge while we went out for the day, so it would be cold when I put the salmon in that night:

1 cup Non-Iodized salt
2 gal Cld water
2 lbs. Dark brown sugar
1 bottle (750 ml) White wine
1 quart Teriyaki sauce
6 oz Garlic powder
6 oz Onion powder
4 oz Pickling spice
1 oz Cinnamon
1 oz Mace
4 Tblsp Oregano
2 Tblsp Basil
3 Tblsp Cayenne

I cut the filet hunks into uniform 1/2" - 5/8" thick pieces, and brined them in the fridge overnight for 14 hours (I overslept [:)]).

The next morning, I rinsed the pieces, drained them, then laid them out to dry on the same non-stick racks that Kummok uses (but I sprayed them with olive oil as insurance) -- it took 5 of them (you can fit 8 into the smoker).

I then let them dry at room temp (about 70-75 degrees), but no pellicle would form (4.5 hours total). The last 1.5 hours I used an oscillating fan across them; still no pellicle. Finally I gave up and put them in the smoker for 5 hours, smoking (not just cooking) constantly. 15 bisquettes in groups of 3: alder-apple-alder-apple-alder.

Approximate times/temps were:

1.5 hours @ 100-110F (had to use ice in water bowl to stay this low)
2 hours @ 140F
1.5 hours @ 175F

Salmon came out nearly perfect! In fact, that is being unkind; it <b>is</b> perfect in terms of smoke, moisture, etc. (we like sort of medium-moist; not running juices when you cut into a warm piece, but moist nonetheless and very soft, not chewy at all). And, thanks to Kummok's strip technique, every piece is uniformly perfect. The only thing I would change next time is the brine; I would cut out the extra herbs and pickling spice (they just don't come through enough in the final product to be worth it), and lower the sweetness and raise the saltiness by using soy sauce instead of teriyaki sauce. Finally, I like a little more heat to mine, so I would up the cayenne, including more to compensate for removing the peppers in the pickling spice. Next time I think I'll do this:

1 cup Non-Iodized salt
2 gal Cld water
2 lbs. Dark brown sugar
1 bottle (750 ml) White wine
1 quart soy sauce
6 oz Garlic powder
6 oz Onion powder
4 T cayenne

Once again, thanks Kummok!

Curtis Jackson
[email protected]

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kummok</i>
<br />1 gallon cold water
1 quart teriyaki OR soy sauce
<font color="blue">1 cup pickling salt</font id="blue">
2 Lbs brown sugar
2 Tbsp garlic powder
3 Tbsp cayenne pepper
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Kummok,
Is pickling salt just coarse salt, or are you referring to a curing salt with sodium nitrite in it?

I did a batch with coarse salt and it turned out very tasty - my compliments... I was just thinking that I could sub in some tenderquik here for safety reasons.  What do you think?

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

BrentK

WTF,

Pickling salt is fine "plain" salt.  I believe the reason you use it rather than other types of salt is because it dissolves better in liquid.  

King's on the smoker again this morning.  Hopeful it will turn out great for this weekend.[8D]

BrentK
Grand Forks, ND

BrentK

Well I just took my 2nd batch of salmon off the smoker........the words...OH MY GOODNESS come to mind.[:p][:p]

Maple wood, 1/2" to 3/4" strips, 8 hrs on the button. Temp just the way Kummok says.

BrentK
Grand Forks, ND

bighoof

Finally got around to try something different. Kummok your brine is awesome. I followed directions, except for the width of pieces. I decide to cut them 1 1/2" wide and it turned out great, I'll try thinner next time.

jeff

Habanero Smoker

Kummok;
I'm just getting around to seeing this recipe. Looks like I will give it a try. This may be a good brine for me to use the next time I brine poultry. I'll just cut back on the sugar (probably use 8 oz.) and add Pickling Spice (McCormicks); that is when I can find it. Also, you solved my brining problem; of limited refridgerator space. I never thought of using a cooler to brine my meat in.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bighoof

Kummok, do you rinse the pieces before you dry?

Curtis Jackson

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bighoof</i>
<br />Kummok, do you rinse the pieces before you dry?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'm not Kummok, but I do use his technique, and I rinse enough to knock the big chunks off, but I don't get crazy with it. I like to leave as much brine on as possible without there being clumps. Clumping is more of a danger with the brine I use, which is:

2 gallons cold water
1 cup Morton or 1.5 cups Diamond Crystal kosher salt
2 lbs. brown sugar
1 bottle white wine
1 quart soy sauce
6 oz. (weight) garlic powder
6 oz. (weight) onion powder
4 tablespoons cayenne

I generally do 13-14 lbs. of filets because, sliced the Kummok way, that is all I can fit on 8 trays in the Bradley and still allow air flow. This much brine works quite well for that amount of salmon.

Curtis Jackson
[email protected]