Bradley Smoked Wild Alaskan Salmon

Started by Kummok, February 01, 2004, 02:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsquared

I asked on the "what's smoking this weekend post" what type of salmon you were doing but I see you are doing Kummock's. I did a batch just before xmas, my first in the Bradley, with just over 2 hours of smoke, and it was great. I sprinkled coarse ground pepper and rosemary onto the strips when they were drying and gettig tacky prior to smoking--they came out great. Let us know how long you applied smoke and how it came out.
Tom

cologcab

Well I just snuck a piece out of the smoker its awsome ....

cologcab

ok I used 5 hrs smoke and they are awsome cant wait for next batch was wondering can i vacume seal these and freese them or not ?

Cold Smoke

Originally posted by Kummok

To answer your Freezing? question......ABSOLUTELY!! Freeze it and it just gets better. I actually prefer the salmon AFTER it's been frozen several months than I do fresh out of the smoker....the smoke flavor just seems to permeate the meat along with the oils and make it more moist than when it's fresh outta the Bradley.

I vacumn seal it in the 'FoodSaver' brand sealer available from Costco, although due to volumesmoked, I'm considering seriously, a commercial size sealer this summer....I want new trolling reels though and the dang sealers run $2-3K, so they might have to wait another winter!  Dang....answering you made me go dig out some smoked red salmon from the freezer....getting down to a few pounds left, but the Kings are coming back in force lately. Had a King Derby today and I hear that there were 250+ boats registered and at least 22 fish caught by mid morning......
RC

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

Cold Smoke

cologcab

coldsmoke I envy you mine were caught at COSCO lol bet fresh one would be awsome

Curtis Jackson

I also FoodSaver my salmon, and it works great. You can microwave it right in the bag (or boil it, for that matter). For a Christmas party at a friend's house I pulled out some that was 6 months old and it was, as Kummok says, as good or better than when it was freshly smoked.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Kummok sez: "but the Kings are coming back in force lately. Had a King Derby today and I hear that there were 250+ boats registered and at least 22 fish caught by mid morning......"
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Kummok, I am really really jealous. Almost makes this Mississippi-Gulf-Coast-raised boy willing to move to Homer.

Curtis Jackson
[email protected]

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Curtis Jackson</i>
<br />Kummok, I am really really jealous.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">As well you should be. Awesome fishing, awesome scenery, awesome folk, it's, well...awesome!

Milk's 6 bucks a gallon so that sucks![:D] Awesome factor overpowers that though.[:)]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

tsquared

Kummok's not the only one:
The following is an excerpt from a weekly fishing report for a marina 10 minutes from my place here on Vancouver Island, dated January 3.
 <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Salmon fishing was GOOD according to the marina. Most of the fish caught this past week, and there were lots, went from 8 lbs up into the teens. The anglers are getting into the fish as soon as they get outside the marina's breakwater and drop their lines close to the bottom. In fact, most anglers are not leaving the bay. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The salmon fishermen here are clearing the last finger of the marina and then dropping their lines to get their limit in 8-14lb springs(king). Temp here is usually around 5-6C(50's F)but a thermos of hot coffee with a little brandy cures that. These winter salmon are so firm, red and in such good condition, it's almost criminal...[:p]
These fish are not as big as the summer salmon (45 lbs was my biggest this past summer) but hey, this time of year it's nice to get off the couch, especially for a guy who's desperate for hockey on tv![V]
Tom

cologcab

what is the limit on salmon up their?

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tsquared</i>
<br />Kummok's not the only one:
The following is an excerpt from a weekly fishing report for a marina 10 minutes from my place here on Vancouver Island, dated January 3.
 <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Salmon fishing was GOOD according to the marina. Most of the fish caught this past week, and there were lots, went from 8 lbs up into the teens. The anglers are getting into the fish as soon as they get outside the marina's breakwater and drop their lines close to the bottom. In fact, most anglers are not leaving the bay. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The salmon fishermen here are clearing the last finger of the marina and then dropping their lines to get their limit in 8-14lb springs(king). Temp here is usually around 5-6C(50's F)but a thermos of hot coffee with a little brandy cures that. These winter salmon are so firm, red and in such good condition, it's almost criminal...[:p]
These fish are not as big as the summer salmon (45 lbs was my biggest this past summer) but hey, this time of year it's nice to get off the couch, especially for a guy who's desperate for hockey on tv![V]
Tom
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Like, we're supposed to feel sorry for you because you have to console yourself with great salmon fishing because you don't have hockey?[:D][;)]

Could be worse . . . you could be here in Boston with temps 30-50 degreess lower than yours, AND no hockey AND no fishing (well, I suppose I could to go the effluent of our local power plant and catch some contaminated bluefish schoolies . . . nothing like standing in the shadow of a power plant with a city skyline in the background to make you feel like you've gotten away from it all to go fishing . . .)

I hope I don't sound TOO jealous![:D][:D][:D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

tsquared

Cologcab-the limit for spring salmon(kings)is 2 a day.
J2C-You kind of put it in perspective... Except that we are getting a touch of that Boston type weather today--howling winds, freezing temp and snow. I'll have to put away the fishing rods and get out the x country skis--just need a few more centimetres.
Tom
Jan. 8 We got that snow 12 inches so far and still coming down. Went for a ski with the dog this am, felt great and put me in the mood for some smoked oysters.[:D]

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tsquared</i>
<br />put me in the mood for some smoked oysters.[:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">The wife's running to hide![:D][:D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Oldman

<font color="red"><font size="3">All you guys and gals talk about Salmon as if it was the only fish. Salmon Salmon Salmon and more Salmon...<b>well its not!</b>
</font id="size3"></font id="red">
<hr noshade size="1"><b>Quote Of Chez</b>
As well you should be. Awesome fishing, awesome scenery, awesome folk, it's, well...awesome!

Milk's 6 bucks a gallon so that sucks![:D] Awesome factor overpowers that though.[:)]<hr noshade size="1">

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">As well you should be. Awesome fishing, <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Ya ya well the fishin' here may not be salmon, but you ever see a 8-10 pound fluke?
(Flounder with BIG teeth)

Meat as white as snow! Or a 50 pound snook whose meat is also white as snow! Or what about our grouper and sea bass. Not to mention our Red fish, speckled and silver trout, or the snappers,
or the black tip shark. Let's not forget the King Mackeral or the Marlin.

How about our lowly Sheephead?

Funny about it I've have had more than one person at my table ask, "You got any more of that!"

Can you go one block out your back door and throw a net and come up with more shrimp than you care to peel and eat at a sitting.
Oh ya let's not overlook the Bull Nose Lobsters, that you also gets in the net.
Then there are our crabs, clams, oysters and scallops.

Within one mile of my house not one but two cobia 90 pound-plus were caught this summer on light tackle.
Or what about that 600 pound Jew fish!.

This is just a drop in the bucket for the types of fish we have here.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">awesome scenery, awesome folk,<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Ha! We have the most awesome-best-whitest Christmas scenery with the finest living Ornaments of all colors, that are wiggling and bouncing and smiling to beat of the Sunset that your eyes have ever seen!
 <b>And</b> you can see all of this every Christmas day at St. Pete Beach! Ha!
 <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Milk's 6 bucks a gallon so that sucks!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That does it. I drink 3-5 gallons per week. Only $2.35!

Ya we don't have salmon but we got everything else so...

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Cold Smoke

Olds~~~~You ALWAYS absolutely floor me!! Give 'em CHIT man!! I have a good supply of deer and walleye (still the king of freshwater fish- IMHO) in these parts...but you make a hell of a case for FLA. Paid by the Florida Tourism Council are ya??

Just jokin'... I'd love to have all those shrimp and all those crabs and all those fish and all my fish, and all those deer and all those moose and those bear and all Mickey and his friends in one spot - that would be swell- MINUS those BULLCHIT hurricanes and that other stuff~~ sure would love to try smoked gator or crocs - [^][:D][^]

And one of your famous dry aged prime ribs- Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

Cold Smoke

Kummok

Olds....I'm convinced, you and I should be talkin about some "cabin swappin"! You make a compelling case for East Coast fish and crusteceans. What's for dinner?? I think I can get a flight down in time for tomorrow night's meal[;)]  BUT, lest we forget, this thread IS called "Bradley Smoked Alaskan Salmon"[;)]

With all kinds of cod (ling, rock, grey), rockfish, shark, shrimp, King crab, Dungeness crab, Snow (Tanner locally) crab, clams, scallops, etc within an hour of our front doors along most of the Alaskan coast, we don't eat just salmon here, but the feeder King is definitely the TOP of the food chain in my book....especially after my "cardiac event" last spring. Not counting the daily snacking on smoked salmon, I eat salmon various ways about 3-4 times per week and it never gets boring. We cooked halibut and rockfish as fish n' chips for dinner last night. This Thursday is blackened King salmon with garlic/olive oil sauted bell peppers over angel hair pasta. As far as "whitefish", send me an email ([email protected]) and I'll reply with a recent pic of a 247 lb "whitefish", locally called "Barn Door" halibut that would pretty much last most folks through an entire long cold winter. However most halibut locally are in the 25-50 lb range, while the saltwater caught Kings average 25-35 lbs.

As far as "catchin" fun, it's as hard to beat Florida or Mexico off-shore fishing as it is to beat the thrill of crawling through the brush with a 24" pole to drop a grasshopper in a snow fed mountain stream in Northern California, Idaho, Montana timber country. Heck, I guess ANY and EVERY kind of fishing and fish eating is what I'll look forward to for the rest of MY time here on the Big Blue Marble.[:D]

For those that want to give it a go up here and add Alaskan fishing to their "life's journey" resume, just send me an email and I'll give you some good links to check out! After Old's description, I know I'm looking forward to visiting Florida!![8D]<u></u>

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA