Questions after First Smoke.

Started by gateso, June 28, 2009, 05:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gateso

I am in SW Florida so weather was HOT when I did my first smoke today (Sunday 6/28) with my new OBS. I'm a little disappointed. I smoked a whole chicken with mws "Smoked Chicken"recipe. 4 hours smoke with maple.
I have a Maverick ET-73 and had a lot of trouble stabilizing the Smoker temp.
"mws" smoked at 210F for 4 hours I also did 4 hours of smoke, but temp fluctuated from 204 to 221. Does it really matter for me to worry about the temp fluctation I was for ever babysitting and adjusting the temp control. After 4 hours of smoke a 4 lb chicken was not completely cooked and I tried to finish in the oven. After smoke has finished can I turn Smoke Generator off and just use the "Temp Heat Control Switch" on the Smoke Tower to finish cooking? Never the less, taste and smoky flavor was excellent and I just need a little guidance. I appologise for my ignorance as a first time smoker.
Hoping to smoke ribs with Hickory on the 4th with 10.5's rib recipe. Please help make this a success for me.
I'm just a backyard Smoker so cannot justify the cost of a PID.
Thanks in advance for y'all help.
Brian G.

HawkeyeSmokes

Hi Brian,

I wouldn't worry to much about those temp fluctuations. Unless your doing fish or sausage it really shouldn't matter to much.

For those ribs, follow 10.5's advice and they will be great. The only thing I would add is to allow plenty of time. Mine have taken up to 1.5 hours extra but if they get done early, they hold very well using the FTC.

Welcome aboard and have fun.
HawkeyeSmokes

La Quinta

Hey Brian...don't worry about the temp flucs...it's ok...frankly your oven in the house does the same thing...it just doesn't tell ya it's doin it....go with 10.5's recipe and you'll be good...you'll get the feel of timing the more stuff ya make...no fear...it'll come out great!  :)

beefmann

hi brian,

dont worry about the temp flucs.. just leave the meat in until cooked or move into the oven like you did, most smokers are low, slow and long cooking for a more flavorfull .. more tender meal...

Beef

beefmann

brian

dont worry about the temp flucs there normal and you can leave the meat in for a more flavorfull, tender meal or move to oven

Beef

gateso

Thanks everyone for your support.
Another newbie question. Do the bisquettes burn faster with the higher temps in  the OBS ? After my smoke if I turn the smoke generator off to finish my ribs in smoker sans smoke do I need to adjust my temp control up higher  to hold temp. I noticed that once I turned the smoke generator off my temp went way down to 190.
Thanks again.
Brian G

La Quinta

Of course the generator adds heat...so just crank it up a bit on the box...turn the generator off and play with it....you'll get the feel of it....don't worry....just give yourself enough time to serve....you'll be fine...just get yourself an instant read thermo to start....or a Maverick....but I suggest you get the feel first....food is about feeling it....gizmos are great...but play with the smoker with some stuff...you'll save a lot of money on toys once you get it....and you will....  ;D

Habanero Smoker

Hi Brian;

Welcome to the forum.

To add to the above advice, what most of us do is just add enough bisquettes for the amount of smoke we want and keep the generator on to provide extra heat; if needed. In order to push the last bisquettes to the burner you will need Bubba Pucks.

What are Bubba Pucks?

As others have stated the temperature fluctuations you had don't matter with chicken. If you like a crisper skin, when you finish in an oven use a temperature of 350°F or higher.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

gateso

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I did notice that as soon as I turned the smoke gen. off, the smoker temp. droppped about 15 degrees F, or more.  I do use a Maverick and Bubba pucks, so next time I cook a whole chicken I will keep the smoke gen. on after the smoke  is finished and boost the temp. heat control up a bit to keep the temp up until I get the right IT on the bird. Then crisp it in the oven.
I'm learning but not quite ready for prime time and the family and neighbors yet.
Thanks again. I would not be this far ahead without the help of this Forum.
Brian G.

CarolinaCooker

Just leave the puck heater on and you won't have to play with the temps. Just keep cookin till you hit the IT you want and then crisp it up in the oven or on a gas bbq if you have one.