Is the OBS for me?

Started by bozer, June 08, 2009, 08:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jha1223

Quote from: smokeitall on June 23, 2009, 11:36:03 AM
Quote from: bozer on June 23, 2009, 08:18:22 AM
Sadly its been sitting in my kitchen for over a week now, raining every day =(

I want to use it so bad

Do you have a garage?  You could open the door for circulation and just put it in a couple of feet out of the rain!

I've done this as well.  My neighbor across the street was standing at his viewing window looking quite confused as I was pulling both vehicles out of the garage - in a massive downpour.  :D    I think he finally figured it out went the smoke started rolling out of the Bradley.
There is such a thing as BBQ in Nebraska!

bozer

So this weekend was the first where it wasn't raining. Finally go to open up the Bradley box so I can season it. Rip the box open like a kid at Christmas and there's a HUGE dent in the front of it =(

I debate with myself for a few minutes if I should just use it or send it back, considering the dent won't have any factor in the food, just looks ugly. Ended up getting in touch with Amazon, they're sending me a new one and I'm shipping it back.

Somebody I guess from UPS kicked it =(

Still haven't had a chance to try it out

Margareeman

That's too bad bozer, once you get that thing going you won't regret it. I just bought mine about a month ago  and I love it.

bozer

I got the new one, already unboxed it.. perfect!

Can't wait to use this thing! Going to do 10.5's ribs Friday morning.

HawkeyeSmokes

You are going to love those ribs. Just give yer self plenty of time and have a cold one or two!  :D
HawkeyeSmokes

OU812

Good thing you got everything b4 the weekend, it will be a good one around here. Just remember the ribs are done when there done don't try to hurry.

Slow and Low but most of all Have Fun.

bozer

Ribs marinating in rub over night

Bradley fullly assembled, about to season it

Power it on, and I kid you not, it starts raining

Turn it offf, rain stops. I put the cover on it and now I'm just sitting not knowing what to do

Need to invest in some sort of a hangar

God I hate this summer so far. Its the rainiest June ever on the east coast (NY anyway)

bozer

Ok its seasoning now.

OMG so much smoke. My neighbors are going to hate me. In NY the yards are really small.

Do I need to advance pucks on my own or will they do that on their own?

Caneyscud

It should be advancing pucks automatically.  I can't remember if you got an OBS or a DBS, but if DBS, you will have to turn the smoke generator on before they will advance.  I usually turn the smoke generator on for awhile - say 15-20 for it to get how, then load the pucks.  Then you will have to advance the puck manually 3 times to get a puck on the hot generator plate.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

bozer

Can't figure out how to post image, but here is a link to my meal:

http://www.shackpics.com/files/DSC_2639JPG_mcpotxz4yoycqs1g58m9.jpg

Great success!!

These are without a doubt the best ribs I've ever made. I've learned a few things in the process too.

God I can't wait to eat the left overs (I made 2 racks worth).

My wife made home made mac n cheese and some brussel sprouts to go with it.

What is the best way to warm these bad boys up? I can't believe how much smoke flavor there was.

I used baby back ribs, Dinosaur BBQ rub, then 3 different types of sauces on each rack (I split them so there was 4 racks)

I wonder is pork spareribs would be better. I think I could have maybe cooked it an hour more just to make it a bit more tender, but they were falling apart on me so perhaps not.

Gizmo

I like to wrap in foil with a bit of water, apple juice, or Jack Daniels and into the oven for 30 minutes or so.  Can finish on the grill after taking them out.  Alternative is to toss them on the grill from the start and warm them up.  This may make them a little dry if they were not real juicy to begin with.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

jha1223

For some reason I couldn't browse right to the pictures on that site.  But, I was curious to see just how good those ribs turned out.  So I started browsing the recent pics and I found your photo.  Look out magazine covers!  That spread looks fantastic.  Here's a link to the pic that I found.

Nom, nom, nom ... You are a better man than I cuz I would have been just inhaling those ribs instead of taking the pic!

The tenderness really comes from the oven or FTC time.  If you had baby backs that weren't tender, it may just be the pig (someone said that on this site before and I feel obligated to copy it).  But, as a rule, 3 hours of smoke, 1 hour in the oven and the slathering on the grill is all it takes. Regardless, I'm still jealous I didn't make ribs this weekend!
There is such a thing as BBQ in Nebraska!