Cabellas in Omaha

Started by jha1223, July 04, 2009, 01:55:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jha1223

I've got a story to share that I think everyone here will appreciate ...

My parents are in town this weekend for the 4th.  Like we always do, we ventured out to Cabellas to do some window shopping :)   My father and I have been talking on the phone about this awesome smoking job I've been doing here in town for the in-laws and we decided to venture out to Cabellas to look around and do some talking.  So, my dad and are at the smokers and I'm telling him about the clean smoke of the Bradley and showing him the different models.  We are looking at a few of the "other" brands and just shooting the breeze.  I started talking about what I plan to do this winter (i.e. cheese) and we walk around the corner and I take the smoke generator off of the OBS on the shelf and start to talk about how you can cold smoke, the setup, etc. 

While I'm doing this, a gentleman and his wife walk up and I notice they are kind of listening as I'm talking about the Bradley to my dad.  The guy shyly interrupts and asks me if I have this smoker (OBS). I said yes and he asks how happy I am with it.  Well, shoot. I start spouting praises like I have stock in the company :)  It turns in to a great conversation about what I've smoked, what I like about the Bradley, etc.  He asks a number of questions, I try and answer them to the best of my ability and spout praises about this amazing smoking device.  I was rather taken with how fervently this guy was pressing the questions about what I've done and how well they've came out on the Bradley.  He proceeded to ask about the quality of the smoke, the ease of use, the differences between the OBS, the DBS, etc.  It was a great conversation.  What was interesting was how much like a salesman I was for the Bradley!  I kind of backed off because I didn't want the guy to think I worked there or had stock in Bradley haha.  The whole exchange was so interesting.  There I was with my dad just shooting the breeze and next thing I know, there is a gentleman, his wife and kids and we are talking about brisket, ribs, fish etc. 

Something occurred to me while I was talking to him tonight.  I am so amazingly happy with my Bradley that I didn't even blink an eye to spend half an hour with a complete stranger telling him just how freaking amazing this smoker is to have.  We chatted for a little while longer and then said our goodbyes and walked away.  My dad stopped me and said, " I don't think you know how much you made that families day."  Wow.  Pretty cool, huh?  Well, I just couldn't leave well enough alone so I looked for something to scribble on and grabbed an ad, wrote down this sites address as well as susanminor.org. I told him if they needed time to think about it, just look these two sites up and they'll help make up your mind.  From what I could tell, they walked out with an OBS tonight.

That's a long story, but here's the short of it - everyone here has been so kind and helpful in my venture in to smoking that I just can't help myself to want to tell people just how amazing the Bradley, this site and it's people are have in your back pocket.  Ya'll have made this summer so damn good for my wife and my family. 

Thanks to everyone on this site and I hope he's as happy as I am with my Bradley. 
There is such a thing as BBQ in Nebraska!

Habanero Smoker

This is a great story. I really enjoyed reading it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

FLBentRider

It's amazing what you'll do when you are passionate about something....
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Mr Walleye

Thanks for sharing that great storey. I've had a few similar to that. In fact my wife works with Alzheimer's patients at a local care home. She looks after this one lady whose husband farms just outside of town and visits the home each day. My wife is forever taking something to work and the one day she took a bunch of my Kielbasa. Well this guy tasted it and immediately had to meet me. So he comes over to my office and we sit and chat for about an hour, then we went over to my house and he had a look at my setup. He was very impressed. It turns out he is an old school smoker from way back. Pretty cool.

I know a number of older gentleman that have spent a life time smoking and curing meats and I would love nothing more than to have the time to spend with them and learn from their vast experience before it's lost forever.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

FLBentRider

Quote from: Mr Walleye on July 04, 2009, 06:09:27 AM
I know a number of older gentleman that have spent a life time smoking and curing meats and I would love nothing more than to have the time to spend with them and learn from their vast experience before it's lost forever.

Amen!

All the "older gentleman" around here play golf and bingo.

;D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

lumpy

We should be getting discounts from Bradley for being part-time sales men.
I have sold at least 3 friends of mine on buying a Bradley.

Lumpy

Tenpoint5

So We can expect another member from the land of "Iowa's Snow Fence" then? Well Done JHA too bad you didn't have a taster for them!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Up In Smoke

jha,
great story, in fact i think you just sold me another one :D :D
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Up In Smoke

Quote from: Mr Walleye on July 04, 2009, 06:09:27 AM
Thanks for sharing that great storey. I've had a few similar to that. In fact my wife works with Alzheimer's patients at a local care home. She looks after this one lady whose husband farms just outside of town and visits the home each day. My wife is forever taking something to work and the one day she took a bunch of my Kielbasa. Well this guy tasted it and immediately had to meet me. So he comes over to my office and we sit and chat for about an hour, then we went over to my house and he had a look at my setup. He was very impressed. It turns out he is an old school smoker from way back. Pretty cool.

Mike
Mike,
like you i would enjoy setting down with some sure enough veterans of the smokehouse.
i really love my bradley but am chomping at the bit to find someone who can teach me the
old ways of curing and smoking. i think it would make me a much better smoker!
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

smokeitall

Great story, could see myself doing the same thing.

jha1223

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on July 04, 2009, 08:35:04 AM
So We can expect another member from the land of "Iowa's Snow Fence" then? Well Done JHA too bad you didn't have a taster for them!!

Ten, if there was any way I could have managed I would have loved to give them some ribs or brisket.  I just can't tell you all how awesome it was to have a conversation with this guy and tell him all the great things I know about the Bradley.  I did make a point to tell him just how much I've learned here.  One of the things that is so great about this site is that you can ask the most basic, obvious question and you'll get a straight forward honest to goodness response.  It's very comforting to know there is a place to turn to when you don't know the answer .... and know that you won't be ridiculed for not knowing it.  Cheers everyone.
There is such a thing as BBQ in Nebraska!

OU812

Great story jha, kinda cool when you can carry on a conversation with a complete stranger about something you love to do and walk away felling like you helped a brother out.