Wire Short in Original Bradley (Stainless) Smoke Generator

Started by jhogg, July 06, 2009, 08:24:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhogg

I recently left my smoker outside and a rain storm got my Bradley Smoker wet.  The smoker seems to be ok but the smoke generator throws a breaker every time I turn the switch on.  I have opened the unit up and have made sure everything is dry but nothing seems to help.  How can I get this unit repaired or replaced.  I have had my Bradley for several years with no problems.  I have the Stainless version if that matters.  I just recently bought the propane version but have not received it yet.  Can the smoke generator on the propane version be used on the Bradley Original?  Thanks in advance for all your help!!! 

NePaSmoKer

Call the Bradley #800 number and tell them.

You can't use the Bradley propane smoke generator because the flame tube and slide are to wide for the hole.

nepas

jhogg

NePaSmoKer thanks for the quick reply!!!  Too bad the propane smoke generator won't work.  It would be nice to have the propane generator work with the original smoker for those times when you want to smoke but don't have electricity.  I know the bag system is more portable but I know the smoker box would keep the temp more stable and it gives you easier access to the food.  Just a thought... my .02 cents anyway... Thanks again for the info I will contact Bradley and see what the damages are going to be on the replacement smoke generator.  Maybe it will only cost me a arm instead of an arm and a leg.  THANKS!!

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Jhogg

Try this first
Open the generator up and unplug the connector for the bisquette burner then replug the generator into the wall and turn it on  and see if that still pops your breaker.

Brian

jhogg

Brian, THANKS for your reply!!!  I have done as you requested and the following are my results.

If I unplug everything except the red and black cables that runs from the ON switch to the smoke generator It does NOT throw the breaker.

If I plug everything back up except the Manual Bisquette Advance Button It does NOT throw the breaker.

If I plug everything back in including the Manual Bisquette Advance Button It DOES throw the breaker.  (Side note:  once the advanced button has been plugged in and it has thrown the breaker you can't just unplug the advance button you have to unplug all cables and leave the advanced button disconnected or it will throw the breaker.)(After you have completed this process you can reconnect all cables again without the advance button and it works.)(WEIRD)

I finally plugged everything back in except the advance button and was able to smoke a load of pork chops with no problems at all.  It appears everything is working now except the Manual Bisquette Advance Button.  Do you think replacing this switch alone will resolve the problem or do you think it is shorted out in the little black circuit box that the Manual Bisquette Advanced Button connects to on the smoke generator.  Where might I get a new advance button?

I hope this is clear as mud!  I really appreciate your help.... I now have a working smoker generator without an advance button... but it SMOKES!!!!

Let me know if you need additional confusing info.  I am full of it!  THANKS AGAIN!   ;D

Jimmy

I have

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Jimmy

Great job testing your generator.
You can order a new advance button from us or Bryan @ Yard and Pool has them as well 
http://www.yardandpool.com/Bradley-Smoker-Smoke-Generator-Advance-Buttom-p/advbutton.htm

I don't think you have a problem in the black control box
Does it advance every 20 min automatically?

Brian

jhogg

Brian, THANKS...  It seemed to advance them fine every twenty minutes.  I don't think it was having a problem but I will watch it the next time I smoke and make sure.  As you suggested ... I will go ahead and order the advance button right away.  If it does start having issues with feeding every twenty minutes or the switch doesn't work for some reason... are we able to purchase the black control box?  I think everything will be fine as soon as I get the switch but just wanted to know just in case.  THANKS again for all your help and have a great day!!! Jimmy ;D

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Jimmy

Yes the control box is available for the smoke generator.

Brian

jhogg

Brian, I just followed the link you sent me and I ordered the advance switch.  I should have it in a few days and will give it a try.  I will keep you posted.  Thanks again. 

OU812

jhogg

If it is the black timing box I got one you can have, it was from a order that got messed up. They sent me this one and I have the digital so its just sitting around looking for a new home.

jhogg

Wow, that is really nice of you.  I appreciate it!!!  As soon as I receive the new switch  ;Dand get it installed and up and running... I will take it through the paces and see if I have any problems.  I will be sure to take you up on your offer if it continues to have problems.  THANKS!!!!!!   Jimmy ;D

KyNola

Jimmy,
Welcome to the forum.  OU812 is a class act example of what this forum is all about.  We take care of our own!

Nice going OU812, great catch.

KyNola

OU812

jhogg

Thanks to all for the warm welcome and for taking care of your own!  I appreciate it...  ;)