1st pulled pork attempt

Started by Toker, July 08, 2009, 02:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toker

Hi everyone tonight its my first pulled pork attempt but i have a question before: do i have to flip the meat over at mid cooking? Or should i baste it any advise? Thx

OU812

I don't flip or baste, just put the fatty side up and make sure your water pan is half full of water. You don't want it full or the drippings don't have anywhere to go.

NePaSmoKer

What OU says

Leave that fat up so it renders down through the butt.

Flipping is up to you.

nepas

FLBentRider

I don't flip, mop, baste or spritz.

Fat side up.

Comes out great.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

beefmann

just did a 14 lb pork butt and kept the fat side up .. took the IT to 195 and it almost fell apart, would leave alone and take it to 195 - 200 and pull... let stand in apple juice, or orange juice and enjoy

pensrock

Toker

thx for all replies but so far there is the 1st problem I'm facing i rubbed it Monday but now it seems to drip a bit just like a brine that we put on salmon cold smoked you know? Is it deep or OK?

And pls beefmann could you explain me the apple juice thing pls? Do you mean to boat with foil while its in the smoker?

FLBentRider

If there was salt in the rub, that will bring moisture out of the meat.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smokin Soon

One member's version of finishing in foil.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=178

I think most of us just foil after the desired IT is met.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: toker on July 08, 2009, 04:51:31 PM
thx for all replies but so far there is the 1st problem I'm facing i rubbed it Monday but now it seems to drip a bit just like a brine that we put on salmon cold smoked you know? Is it deep or OK?

And pls beefmann could you explain me the apple juice thing pls? Do you mean to boat with foil while its in the smoker?

If you apply the rub ahead of time, such as the night before, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. The salt in the rub will first draw the moisture out; during the first 3 hours or so. After that the salt will begin to draw the moisture back into the meat, but can only do so if the moisture is kept close to the meat. If you only place it into a sealable bag, then the moisture will just pool away from the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

swseitz

I too am doing my first butt but only "partially".  I decided to try a small (just under 4 lbs) shoulder picnic and perhaps tonight I will start a larger butt this evening.  This is only my second smoke in my new OBS so I'm a bit nervous.   ;)  I put mustard and a rub on last night, wrapped it in plastic and left it in the fridge overnight.  It is in the smoker as I speak and I am doing 4 hours of hickory.  I hope this isn't too much smoke for the size of the roast.  What is the favourite wood (for pork) amongst everyone here?  Seems like most people are using apple?  I hope it works.

:D

Scott

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum swseitz!

Quote from: swseitz on July 09, 2009, 11:36:49 AM
I too am doing my first butt but only "partially".  I decided to try a small (just under 4 lbs) shoulder picnic and perhaps tonight I will start a larger butt this evening.  This is only my second smoke in my new OBS so I'm a bit nervous.   ;)  I put mustard and a rub on last night, wrapped it in plastic and left it in the fridge overnight.  It is in the smoker as I speak and I am doing 4 hours of hickory.  I hope this isn't too much smoke for the size of the roast.  What is the favourite wood (for pork) amongst everyone here?  Seems like most people are using apple?  I hope it works.

Don't be nervous. keep the vent at least 1/2 open. I use Hickory on pork, but I have used Apple, Oak, and others.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

bozer

Does anyone have an idiot's guide to Pulled Pork, but only using the Bradley?

In other words, I'm hoping to not have to put it in my oven at all, nevermind overnight. If I could only use the bradley that would be sweet.

FLBentRider

Quote from: bozer on July 09, 2009, 11:53:59 AM
Does anyone have an idiot's guide to Pulled Pork, but only using the Bradley?

In other words, I'm hoping to not have to put it in my oven at all, nevermind overnight. If I could only use the bradley that would be sweet.

You can leave it in the Bradley if you want.

If you don't want an overnight smoke, then you will need to get up early and eat late!

Mine take 12-18 hours.

I put mine in my OBS the night before and transfer to the oven in the morning. You could leave it in the Bradley until it is done.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Bozer,
Don't forget to refill the water bowl.  Don't let it go dry on you.

KyNola