Need some pork rib advice....

Started by skearney, July 08, 2009, 07:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skearney

Hi,

This Forum is so awesome.... all of you veteran obs'ers with great advice...  We are doing some pork ribs for our 2nd smoke. They are unthawed and ready for rub.. do i need to precook in the oven  for an hour or so?..or just rub and let them marinate for a while... Also i made some of Jan's Rub... does that work for Pork ribs as well as beef or should i use something else?  How long should they set with the rub? Thanks in advance for your help.... Susan

Smokin Soon

Do some reading here, and on our recipe sight and you will be good to go. For your ribs, this is all you need.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=581

FLBentRider

Jans rub is good on everything....

take off the membrane off the back, rub, rest a while in plastic wrap in the chill-chest.

smoke, foil wrap, cook, eat.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HawkeyeSmokes

Hello Susan and welcome,

Not an expert here but I have had good luck on ribs by doing the following.

Rub the ribs down and let rest over night. BTW, remove the membrane. When ready to smoke, take the ribs out and let start to come to room temp. Mean while, preheat the Bradley (keep the vent at least 1/2 way open or more the whole time) with both the oven and puck burner on. I like to go to at least 260 but even hotter won't hurt as it helps the heat recover when the meat goes in. When the temp is up, put the ribs in the smoker, load the first puck of wood, and try to set the smoker for about 220. I like to smoke for 2 hours but you will have to adjust for your taste. After that, I boat with a splash of AJ and then either in the smoker or kitchen oven until the meat pulls back from the end of the bone about 1/2". My spares have been taking about 5 to 6 hours total cooking time. Then you can sauce them if you like and either put back in the smoker or oven or grill to set the sauce. You should have some juicy falling off the bone ribs by then.

Have fun.

HawkeyeSmokes

skearney

Thanks, i will let you know tomorrow how they turned out... Susan.... :D