1st pulled pork attempt

Started by Toker, July 08, 2009, 02:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toker

OK here is an other problem I'm facing, it is 6.2 pounds and i started it yesterday at 9 pm at 210 now its almost 4pm and my ET73 thermometer show 148 only after all this time is it normal? Cause I'm looking for 195. How much longer its gonna take to get 195?

KyNola

Toker,
Don't panic.  It will get done when it's done.  Remember that you put it in and the temp inside the box dropped like a stone with 6 pounds of cold pork in it and it most likely took a couple of hours to come back up to temp.  The other thing is each butt has it's own way of thinking.  I have done them where it took 26 hours before it hit the IT I was looking for.  It is most likely in the "stall" where it is breaking down all of the collagen and connective tissue and the temp will not move, sometimes for hours.  Don't rush it by bumping the heat up.  You want it to go through the "stall".  That's when it is doing it's thing.

One other thing, there is nothing magical about going to 195.  If time is an issue, you can take the IT to 185-190 and it will pull just fine.

You must learn patience Grasshopper! :D

You're doing fine Toker!
KyNola 

Toker

Well, after all the actual temp is 158 i had put my prob at the wrong place and were right about the stall thing now its started to drip  :P

KyNola

Try to keep the door closed all you can.  It's gonna be so good, the wait will be worth it.

KyNola

bozer

Interesting,.. so in theory I could make Brisket or Pulled Pork in Bradley, without needing oven

westexasmoker

Quote from: bozer on July 09, 2009, 04:02:41 PM
Interesting,.. so in theory I could make Brisket or Pulled Pork in Bradley, without needing oven

Many do the entire cook in the BS, keep in mind that once the smoke is applied you are basically using an oven at that point.  I use the house oven to finish, so that way it frees the smoker up for something else.  Either way ya won't go wrong!  I don't recomend overnight cooks in the smoker, many do it with great success, one of mine did not turn out so well!  :o

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

KyNola

Bozer,
Absolutely you can finish everything in the Bradley but as WTS said, after the smoke period, the Bradley is nothing more than an oven.  As I don't have a PID(yet) I find the Bradley to be an inefficient oven.  I feel I can maintain the heat in my house oven better than the Bradley.  That's why I finish butts in the oven and if I'm not doing ribs in the Traeger, I finish ribs in the house oven as well as poultry.  When it comes to belly bacon, canadian bacon, pastrami, salmon and cheese, nothing and I mean nothing beats the Bradley.

KyNola

BTW, Mr. WTS knows of what he speaks about overnight smokes. :)  WTS, does the well house still have that well done brisket smell to it?  Not making fun, glad all turned out OK.  That could have gone SO bad.

Ka Honu

Quote from: westexasmoker on July 09, 2009, 04:25:33 PM...one of mine did not turn out so well! 

Talk about an understatement!