Jelous of your smoking

Started by Hopefull Romantic, July 09, 2009, 11:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

HR;

You are correct. You can not get a smoke ring from an electric smoker. The ring is a phenomenon that is created when organic fuels; such as wood, charcoal, natural gas and propane, are used to cook with. These fuels produce traces of nitrogen dioxide gas that dissolve in the meat surfaces and cause the myoglobin in the meat to turn red. Similar to what occurs during curing with sodium nitrite. The smoke ring is not important, and doesn't add any flavor.

I have tried using a few to get the charcoal flavor, but it did not get the flavor I was trying to achieve, and didn't notice any ring. To get the ring, besides using organic fuels, you need to use low temperature (which you are doing) and long exposure to the traces of nitrogen dioxide. I did not use the charcoal for any length of time, if you try it I would use the charcoal for several hours. By the way, you can get this same effect if you slow cook in you gas oven with the meat uncovered.

If you try, let us know how it turns out. When I used charcoal in mine, I first tried placing it on the heating pad of the generator; that did not work. Then I use a small disposable aluminum pan, and put some coals in it. Then I place the pan on an empty rack, in the lowest position.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

lumpy

See what I mean about the more experienced members. All this time I thought I had a smoke ring..........wishfull thinking I guess ;)

Let us know if you try the charcoal.

Lumpy

pensrock

Welcome to the forum.

Sound like you have most of the bells and whistles in your package. No you do not need a PID many people here get great food without one. I made and use one but I do make sausage and fish so I really want to control the temp swings. I do not know where you seen +-5 degree temp control from a BDS but if that is what you expect you will be dissapointed. Mine without the PID will swing some +-20 degrees F after the meat is put in and it stabilizes, it will get better as the meat comes to temp. Now that is not a problem when doing most smoking, but with sausage and fishes you need tighter control, hence the PID controller.

pens

Hopefull Romantic

Hi there all and thanks for the pointers.

I am sorry for the late reply but special thanks go to Habanero smoker, Lumpy and Pensrock for their input and insight it is people like them who make me feel that I will not go wrong with my decision to take the plunge into electric smokers. As I said, I will be counting heavily on all the forum members to guide me through my baby steps.

Thanks again and God Bless.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Caneyscud

Hopeful

Today is the 15th - have you got your package yet?  We are like expectant fathers with the imminent delivery of a new, shiny Bradley!  Be sure to break in your new baby as the instructions say, then lay on that lamb rack and get it familiar with smokey nirvana.  Smoked lamb is about as good as it gets as long as there is lots of garlic!  We want pics, we want pics, we want pics!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

NePaSmoKer

Umm Yeah

Pics

Like put up or shut up, EH  ;D

nepas

Hopefull Romantic

Hi there guys,

I suffered a set back this morning when I was informed by my forwarder that my BDS will not be here until early next week. What is that they say; "Good things come to those who wait!!!" Well I really cant wait but nevertheless have to. I promise that I will fulfil my promises and shall provide picture along with a mouth watering description of how the rack of lamb turned out.

HR

lumpy

You've still got time to order your "other toys" ;D

Lumpy

Hopefull Romantic

Hi there Lumpy,

What other toys would ou recommend? I thought I ordered all!!!

HR

lumpy

That is a question that NePas can answer. Just when you think you have everything, bam! Something else you need.

Time and experience will determine what "extra" toys you will purchase over time.

Its taken years for the  ;)experienced smoker to obtain all the items needed for our perfect smoke.

My wife asked my what I needed a case of Montecristo's and a beer tap outside. Its all part of the smoke Baby!

Lumpy

NePaSmoKer

H R

I can imagine your wait, must be painful  :-\

As far as toys for your BS, PID, Bubba pucks, many wood pucks, screens for your racks, a good thermometer like Thermapen and et 73 is your call (i dont like em myself) And a bottle of sippin I mean drinking whiskey  ;D

Lumpy your killing me here buddy  ;D My wife asked my what I needed a case of Montecristo's and a beer tap outside.
Its all part of the smoke Baby!

nepas

Hopefull Romantic

Hi there NePaSmoker,

I cant even begin to tell you how painfull it is. It is like smelling smoked baby backs while you are in prison looking at a sh*t on a shingel.

As for the toys you have mentioned, I have purchased the Bubba pucks, 1500 wood pucks, a digital talking thermometer a case of JD but no beertap or Monticristos. But I still got time to punder????? Have you seen these concoctions on eBay; an automatic tap from which you can pour 4 different types of hard liquor? Realy amazing stuff.

I would be interested to hear what you think about purchasing a PID and where do you get those screens for the racks???

HR

Tenpoint5

HR I can't help on the pid cause I dont have one but I know the fella from Auber does sell them on Ebay. The screens you can get from Brian over at yard and pool
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

lumpy

You can start making up some sauces. :)

Lumpy

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on July 15, 2009, 01:02:04 PM
Hi there NePaSmoker,

I cant even begin to tell you how painfull it is. It is like smelling smoked baby backs while you are in prison looking at a sh*t on a shingel.

As for the toys you have mentioned, I have purchased the Bubba pucks, 1500 wood pucks, a digital talking thermometer a case of JD but no beertap or Monticristos. But I still got time to punder????? Have you seen these concoctions on eBay; an automatic tap from which you can pour 4 different types of hard liquor? Realy amazing stuff.

I would be interested to hear what you think about purchasing a PID and where do you get those screens for the racks???

HR

10.5 has you in the right direction on the screens. Click the Y&P banner on the bottom of my post or on my blog site (The better way  ;D)

The guy from Auber does sell on Ebay but its just as easy to order from their site.

nepas

I used to buy JD by the case but the Mrs didnt like it so now its just a bottle or two here and there  ;D